Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: a multi-million dollars jet plane

a multi-million dollars jet plane

a multi-million dollars jet plane
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by kitkat; 07-11-2004 at 01:47 AM.
    = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Oooh, the SR-71 That plane rocks!

Daddy, can I have one? Please? Pretty please?
    Cheers,
    -Ads

"We used to come down, doing about 180mph. We take off over the bridge and change down to 4th gear in the air. Go through the righthander with the car drifting, and let it swing out through the lefthander and then slide out to the wall, where we simply stopped it with a flick of the wrists"
    -Vic Elford, on Maison Blanche in a Porsche 917

UCP's Most Hardcore Armchair BTCC Fan & Anthony Reid Supporter

when i grow up i wnat a plain like that one
    Fun is not a straight line

UCP's only lancia lover ....

Auckland, New Zealand & Balikpapan, Indonesia
    Ah yes! the SR-17 a.k.a Blackbird...
    one of my favourite planes... if i'm not mistaken... it can reach the speed up to Mach 2... no missile can go that fast... It only has two wheels by the way... so it's a bit tricky to use for taking off and landing...
    ah...the great Blackbird... i love this plane...
    "Rejection is better than regret. It's better to try and know you did your part, than to spend the rest of your days wishing you had tried"

Quote Originally Posted by r1ckst4
    Ah yes! the SR-17 a.k.a Blackbird...
    one of my favourite planes... if i'm not mistaken... it can reach the speed up to Mach 2... no missile can go that fast... It only has two wheels by the way... so it's a bit tricky to use for taking off and landing...
    ah...the great Blackbird... i love this plane...
    In a past life I was a total plane freak.

I now have it under control

speed = mach 3+ ( that's over 30 mils per MINUTE )

Flying at M3 at 85,000 feet no missile could catch up to it - true. But it was theoritically possible to be caught "unlucky" and was vulnerbale. But in practise it was estimated over 1000 misisles were launched at SR-71s during it's long life with no success.

It has traditional tri-wheel arrangment and doesn't have any problems landing or taking off - except finding a runway long enough

ah well, back to my Plane-freaks Anonymous meetings and 12-step plan ..........
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    In a past life I was a total plane freak.

I now have it under control

speed = mach 3+ ( that's over 30 mils per MINUTE )

Flying at M3 at 85,000 feet no missile could catch up to it - true. But it was theoritically possible to be caught "unlucky" and was vulnerbale. But in practise it was estimated over 1000 misisles were launched at SR-71s during it's long life with no success.

It has traditional tri-wheel arrangment and doesn't have any problems landing or taking off - except finding a runway long enough

ah well, back to my Plane-freaks Anonymous meetings and 12-step plan ..........

Ha!!! PLANE FREAK!!!!!!!! HAHAHA....
    jokes...
    i saw in a documentary once... it had 2 wheels!!!
    "Rejection is better than regret. It's better to try and know you did your part, than to spend the rest of your days wishing you had tried"

jokes...
    hmmm, it may be they were referring to the fact that there are actually only two wheels on each undercarriage.
    This isn't the norm for such large planes which will usually have multiple bogeys per undercarriage.
    But as ths was a skunks-works, everything was done to mission needs and they were able to define long, well prepared strips so no need for over-engineering of the undercarriage.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

jokes...
    Matra is right, It does have the tri wheel set up, the only plane that has only two wheels is the U2. And it had the ability to take a picture of a license plate at 90,000 feet
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

landing the U2 is crazy, cuz the 2 sets of 2 wheel are placed in front of eachother in the middle of the plane.

the U2 can reach an unbelievable elevation of 120,000 feet, but such height comes with a price: maneuverability. the only reason the U2 in the 70's was shot down was because it couldnt start a descent fast enough. if it gets to really descending, it can reallyyyy get going.

Actually that U2 was shot down over the USSR in 1960 or 61. I know Eisenhower was President. (Yes they have been flying U2's for a LOONG time.)
    The SR-71 Blackbird still holds the world record for speed for a jet-powered atmospheric aircraft, Mach 3+, somewhere in the neigborhood of 2200 mph.
    The hardest thing about taking off a Blackbird was that while sitting on the ground, it would be leaking fuel all over the place. The reason for this is that, at Mach 3, the plane's surface would heat up to very high temperatures, causing the materials to expand. So they had to take that into account when building it, so when it was cool and sitting on the ground there were huge gaps between pieces of the aircraft.
    "The good news is, not one of the 50 states has the death penalty for speeding....although I'm not too sure about Ohio."

Sesquipedalian -- a really cool word. It means long-winded, polysyllabic, or verbose. See the word describes itself...isn't that neat?

1988 Nissan 200SX SE V6

UCP's most hardcore S12 fan!

The price for an SR was about $42M USD.
    I'm going to eat breakfast. And then I'm going to change the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt
    The price for an SR was about $42M USD.
    i want one there so cool
    There is 3 people on a boat with loads of children running around it, the 3 people are: 1. Bob geldof, 2. Ozzy Osbourne, and 3. Micheal jackson, they're sailing out for the G8 live aid, they've hit a rock and they're sinking, bob says: "save the children!" ozzy says: "Fuc the children!"

Micheal says "have we got time?"

is it a bomber or what
    badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger

Quote Originally Posted by d-quik
    is it a bomber or what
    Yes it is....

i think

Quote Originally Posted by d-quik
    is it a bomber or what
    No it was only a reconnaisance plane.
    Flew regularly over trouble spots and returned pictures to US intelligence.
    There are many superb sites on the web dedicated to this palne as it had a HUGE following. Just do a search for SR-71 to see lots of pics ( one of my favourites which I couldn't find showed the fuel running off the wing trailing edge sitting on the deck AWESOME )
    Full flight histories are posted on some sites, so for some of us we can work out when it flew overhead - but at 80,000+ feet it was never noticable

Thread Information