Thread: Range Rover 4.2L turbocharged?

Range Rover 4.2L turbocharged?

Does anyone know if the 4.2L supercharged engine in the Range Rover line has ever been turbocharged instead by anyone? I looked a little bit online but I don't think anyone has done that. Anyone know? I guess it would be highly unreliable since Land Rover scores realy low in reliability.
    Last edited by QBridge; 05-07-2006 at 01:03 AM.
    Real cars are not FWD.
    FWD at it's best -
    http://videos.streetfire.net/video/6FBCAADF-B7CB-432C-B938-01EB06BD83CE.htm

Probably not, turbo doesn't suit the nature of the Petrol landies, and definately not the Jags it comes from. And as for reliability, the XJR (i.e the one with the 4.2 s/c) won the Top Gear Survey 2003 (IIRC) and was second in 2004 (IIRC), so it can't be all that bad
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

My Dad has never had a problem with his Range Rover ... only 1 piece of trim has fell off and that was due to scraping it while off-roading.

I don't like Land Rover trying to go all sporty with their Range Rover. To me that would be the exact same as Cadillac trying to pump up the Esc (I hope not!) to compete with the Cayenne. It really just does not suit the marque IMO.

I was not saying Land Rover should turbocharge their SUVs. I was asking if any owners did.
    I would definitly consider it since a turbo will make more power at lower boost. I have seen some twin turbo Cadillac Escalades and they are insanely fast for their size and weight.
    Real cars are not FWD.
    FWD at it's best -
    http://videos.streetfire.net/video/6FBCAADF-B7CB-432C-B938-01EB06BD83CE.htm

Jag use a Positive displacement blower on their V8s, so boost at idle or not much past it, I doubt a turbo could match that. And of course, I'm not suer how many Range Rover drivers are into s1ck modz, yo
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

I had the pleaseure of being driven around Fords Premier Automotive Track at Gaydon 2 weeks ago in a supercharged Range Rover 4.2 - awesome! The thing flies and the cornering is amazing - you lift of the power enough to get you into the bend safely and then floor it whilst in the bend - all of the elctronic stability, traction etc comes into play and keeps the car on the road - as soon as the car senses you are coming out of the bend and into the straight it delivers all of the power back to the wheels and bingo your of again.

The braking was also very impressive - if I had £58k I'd buy one !

Thread Information