Page 2 of 20 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: VY series II

Originally posted by Falcon500
    too bad they dont need too
    Thats a good thing is it?
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

the 5.4's long stroke may limit high revs but it makes the engine behave like it doesnt need to. the gt has 400nm at 1000rpm, and i heard somewhere a single cam falcon six makes more torque than a gen3 below 3000rpm. anyway i dont c why ur making such a big fuss over 600rpm between the fpv gt and hsv gts crisis

Originally posted by fpv_gtho
    anyway i dont c why ur making such a big fuss over 600rpm between the fpv gt and hsv gts crisis
    It was only a response to a comment that Commodores were shit quality. 600rpm isnt much but I have to constantly hear that GM should be running ohc and I havent heard a reasonable argument as to why. Other than pushrods are old technology. Very much like the internal combustion engine.

well ohc offers a lot more freedom in what you can do with the head-mainly breathing and combustion chamber set up and so on and so forth. But also on that note there isnt anything wrong with pushrods just by my view in this day and age its time to let go as i said before i think GM will find itself in the same boat as ford in the 50s when they didnt let go of the side valve set up. And yes thats a good thing they dont need to rev. I should of made myself clear on that.

plus its easier to have multivalves with ohc rather than pushrod, which increases the airflow into the cylinders. ohc also has alot less inertia making it safer for high revs

i still dont think gm has made the right decsision about the gen iv twin cams in the block and still using a 2v design which they claim offers 4v performance and my old man is also saying they the capacity on demand has been used by gm before and it was flop

its displacement on demand as gm call it and i reckon it would waste rule moving the stationary parts that have been shut down. i dont see how they claim 4v performance, when 4 medium sized valves breath better than 2 large valves

Ultimately you may both be right. It does seem like using a sledgehammer to crack a walnut however I am interested to see the outcome and I hope they proceed.

i meant to type fuel not rule

well the thing was that sometimes they used to shut down and stay that way which was costly to fix new computers but the biggest problems they had was no smooth tranaction when you plated it they claim that its smooth and unoticable and according to my old man that satement has been made before....well just have to see wont we?

i dont think holdens gunna want the DOD technology when they get the gen4. shutting down half the cylinders is sure to create shit lowdown torque which is something australian buyers dont want. they may want to reach 6.8L/100km fuel consumption by 2010 or sumtin but i think theyre gunna find ways in the hfv6 for that

The intention of the latest incarnation in the genIII is that the transition to 8 cylinders would be intantaneous. Whatever they had before would not have had the availabilty of current technology. When was it? I'll wait and see for myself. In the mean time Ford Australia will have to continue to put bits of different engines together to satisfy their requirements. Do Ford US build a larger capacity V8 than the 5lt.

in the new GT (as in the new GT40 which cannot be called for legal reasons) they do they use the 5.4 but i dont think you lot would really accept that as there will only be 4 produced this year i think they are using the 5.4 3v sohc in the trucks and they have a 7 liter desil but i think thats a little off subject

the modular engines in the us are 4.6, soon to b seen 5.0 and 5.4. the new lighting uses the dohc supercharged iron block 5.4 whereas the gt uses an aluminium block version. svt also made a prototype 7Lv10 off the MOD engines. the 7.3L V8 was a turbo diesel that got replaced by a commonrail, turbo direct injection dohc 6.0L V8

Originally posted by Falcon500
    in the new GT (as in the new GT40 which cannot be called for legal reasons) they do they use the 5.4 but i dont think you lot would really accept that as there will only be 4 produced this year i think they are using the 5.4 3v sohc in the trucks and they have a 7 litre desil but i think thats a little off subject
    I lot dont really care how many. I lot am not as one eyed as you think. I lot dont have GM or Holden anywhere in my moniker. I lot like Holdens and will generally buy one in preference to a Ford as long as they make rear wheel drive V8 sedans without calling Fords shit or saying they suck. I was just curious as to whether Ford made a larger , relevant, engine, 351 etc and thought that you may know given your apparent knowledge. I wish they did. The rekindled rivalry between Ford and Holden has reaped many benefits for us here in little old Oz lately.

Thread Information