Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Best fuel Efficient Vehicle

fuel economy is diffrent over here

question

Hi folks...thank you to all of your who have been voting in our survey. I think some of the comments that you have been posting are great. I was wondering if I could pick your brains about something related to our site. We also have a messageboard and are trying to get get usersHow do you get a board running well and attract users? Henk...I have seen you post on here a few times...any thoughts?

Quote Originally Posted by FEAutos
    Hi folks...thank you to all of your who have been voting in our survey. I think some of the comments that you have been posting are great. I was wondering if I could pick your brains about something related to our site. We also have a messageboard and are trying to get get usersHow do you get a board running well and attract users? Henk...I have seen you post on here a few times...any thoughts?
    just sent you a private message on the subject
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Karrmann
    fuel economy is diffrent over here

Fuel economy is unambigious. It is the amount of fuel used to provide a certain level of transport. The less fuel you have to use the more efficient transportation becomes. It is not for nothing that all road trailers (also even in the USA) are now diesel powered, and if you can show me one ocean going ship that is propelled by gasoline, I will eat my hat.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Perhaps a better way to word the question was that fuel economy is relative. Any car which doens't have a major lump under the bonnet, could be classed as " Fuel efficient" in comparison to, say, an excursion. but in Europe, where they do have to watch what they use, you need to be really quite economical to raise an eyebrow. Most Cruise Liners are powered by Diesel, though a few are powered by Turbines, and 1 has little engine pods run by electricity, created by.....Diesel. It's quite a versatile thing....
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

Quote Originally Posted by IBrake4Rainbows
    Perhaps a better way to word the question was that fuel economy is relative. Any car which doens't have a major lump under the bonnet, could be classed as " Fuel efficient" in comparison to, say, an excursion. but in Europe, where they do have to watch what they use, you need to be really quite economical to raise an eyebrow. Most Cruise Liners are powered by Diesel, though a few are powered by Turbines, and 1 has little engine pods run by electricity, created by.....Diesel. It's quite a versatile thing....
    Just a small deviation of car related aspects:
    Ship Turbines are fuelled by Heavy Fuel Oil, under normal circumstances a solid substance, which needs to be heated to get through the fuel injectors. You might have come up with gas turbines, which run on gas oil or marine diesel oil, which is a heavier version of the automotive product.
    A particular application of steam turbines can be found in Liquid Natural Gas carriers, which run on the boil-off of their cargo (cargo at minus 162 degrees). Even here experiments have started to use diesel engines instead, but using the same energy source.

The Super Mileage competition car designed and built by my school gets some pretty good numbers.

Last 3 Competition Results:

YEAR
    2002- 742.42 Miles per Gallon
    2001- 472.23 Miles per Gallon
    2000- 136.39 Miles per Gallon
    VIVA FERRARI!!!!!!

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!" ~ Benjamin Franklin

If everything's under control, you're going too slow ~ Mario Andretti

"We can't stop here! This is bat country!" ~ [U]Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: A Savage Journey into the Heart of the American Dream[/U]

whoa!

Wow dude that's some pretty good stuff...are you sure you didn't mean miles per tank? How did you all pull off that many miles per gallon?

The numbers I put are correct.
    VIVA FERRARI!!!!!!

"We can't stop here! This is bat country!" ~ [U]Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: A Savage Journey into the Heart of the American Dream[/U]

Quote Originally Posted by FEAutos
    Wow dude that's some pretty good stuff...are you sure you didn't mean miles per tank? How did you all pull off that many miles per gallon?
    Nope, no error on his part. High school supermilage contest cars are powered by Briggs&Stratton lawnmower engines (1cyl, around 3hp I think). They're weird and funky looking creations I found an example picture online: (see attachement)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Yes they use a 3.5 hp Briggs and Straton engine. Here some more information on the contest:

The Supermileage® competition provides engineering and technology students with a challenging design project that involves the development and construction of a single-person, fuel-efficient vehicle. Vehicles are powered by a small four-cycle engine. Students have the opportunity to set a world fuel economy record and increase public awareness of fuel economy.

Teams start with a 3.5hp engine donated by Briggs & Stratton. The teams are then allowed to perform any modifications desired as long as the stock crankcase is used and the power is delivered through the stock crankshaft.

The vehicles are then competed in Marshall, Michigan at the Eaton Proving Grounds. Teams are given six attempts with their best overall fuel economy standing against those of other teams.
    VIVA FERRARI!!!!!!

I can't believe what the Americans think is economical! Their opinions of some jumped-up medium sized, crappy saloon (that nasty Dodge SRT4 whatever...) being 'economical' are laughable. Here in Britain, if a car does less than 28mpg it is deemed as fairly wasteful. I believe the average mpg of a car here is around 37mpg.... the most economical car in Britain at the moment is apparently the Volkswagen Lupo SDi, which can manage 65.2 mpg on the combined cycle! Quite frankly, the Yanks have got to get their heads out of the clouds and stop building horribly wasteful vehicles, such as the (nasty, slow, 3mpg) Hummer H2 and the (eco-disaster) Ford Excursion. Learn to make engines which have a decent bhp-per-ltre.

Wow...that's sweet...I'll have to look at more information about those types of contests. Quite impressive!!

lol ford gt on topgear ...

Richard: you used the entire tank on the track ...

Jeremy: Yes

Richard: so how many mpg did you get out of it

Jeremy: 4

Richard: 4 MPG !!!!

lmfao

even the audi twin turbo v8 diesal got 40mpg on the show

the amazing thing is to me

in europe im assuming commutes will be shorter then here in north america .. for the obvious reason of everything being more cramped up (thats not an insult)

so in retrospect you'd expect fuel economy to be more important over here since it would cost more to do the same journey to the mall or market over here but the exact opposite happens, i guess thats mainly because of the cost of living or standard of living or whatever u call it

fuel costs much more in europe then it does here in america
    and the fact the average american's iq is lower then europe by about 5 points doesnt help either (i would thought itll be atleast 10 or 15 points)

p.s. in the 2002 study Hong Kong got the highest average IQ of 107 in the entire world BOOO YAA

Quote Originally Posted by IWantAnAudiRS6
    I can't believe what the Americans think is economical! Their opinions of some jumped-up medium sized, crappy saloon (that nasty Dodge SRT4 whatever...) being 'economical' are laughable. Here in Britain, if a car does less than 28mpg it is deemed as fairly wasteful. I believe the average mpg of a car here is around 37mpg.... the most economical car in Britain at the moment is apparently the Volkswagen Lupo SDi, which can manage 65.2 mpg on the combined cycle! Quite frankly, the Yanks have got to get their heads out of the clouds and stop building horribly wasteful vehicles, such as the (nasty, slow, 3mpg) Hummer H2 and the (eco-disaster) Ford Excursion. Learn to make engines which have a decent bhp-per-ltre.
    Remember we dont go by imperial MPG. Over here your "fuel efficient" Lotus Elise gets 27mpg on the hwy, thats equivalent to the 400hp, 3100lbs Corvette Z06...
    How is the Neon SRT4 a economical car? Its a perfomance compact, and priced under most cars it competes with.
    What does hp/l have to do with anything? You do relise it effects perfomance in no way what so ever right? BTW most of the time cars with high hp/l get worse gas milage than cars with lower hp/l...

Thread Information