Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2002 Chevy Camaro SS and Skyline R34 GT-R

10 minutes from Lingenfelter's... aren't you jealous?

2002 Chevy Camaro SS and Skyline R34 GT-R

This is NOT a performance thread.

I was looking on Rotorex's site and it cost almost 80 grand to get a used R34 GT-R in the U.S. Now the people who have GT-R's in the U.S. have a passion for that car. If they really wanted to, they could buy a number of car cheap and perform just as well, but it's exclusive to Japan and and they want the GT-R. So it occurs to me, there are probably people in other country's that really want certain car exclusive to other places, like North America, and the 2002 Camaro SS. So what I'm asking, is what kind of price are people willing to fork out for a shiny "new" Camaro SS or Firebird WS6 overseas?

Well, at this time that "new" Camaro or Firebird would cost you a good penny. Otherwise, after shipping, it must meet the countries regulations, you do know that, right? Of course you do. Anyways, a Camaro in England. Would that be considered rare over there?

Maybe Matra can answer that for me.

If I remember rightly, you could buy yourself a Chevy Corvette in Britain for a great price of £33,000. The Camaro SS was about the same....by the way, a Nissan Skyline here would cost you about $70,000 BRAND NEW.

And Camaros did happen in Britain... they were extremely rare, I don't understand why it wasn't more popular!

Yes, American muscle cars are fairly rare in the UK.
    (Saying that I saw a 1960's style Chevy Impala earlier this week)

I don't know how much a 'new' Camaro SS would be, but a 1997 SS 30th Anniversary edition £11,850.
    = ~ $21,500
    Thanks for all the fish

Quote Originally Posted by IWantAnAudiRS6
    And Camaros did happen in Britain... they were extremely rare, I don't understand why it wasn't more popular!
    Please if I tell you I'd need to kill you

Well documented why.

Anyway, Camaro's are generally rare but were actually amazingly common on the West cost of Scotland. Of course that was due to the 5000 Americans based there as part of the Holy Loch submarine base. Most of them imported yank-tanks and a few were Camaros, tho' don't remember many 'vettes ( guess that was officers )
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by IWantAnAudiRS6
    I don't understand why it wasn't more popular!
    Because they had crap ride, were incredibly poor quality, a huge car (for the UK), it drank like a fish, they were all left hand drive, and there wasn't much in the way of a dealer/ servicing network.

Not a recipie for success.

I remember when they came out here, I saw one at the motorshow. I got quite excited, but the closer I got, the worse it was. I think I could have gotten in by climbing through the panel gaps.

It was the same with the old Cadillac STS, Cheverolet Blazer, Chrysler Viper GTS, etc, etc...
    Thanks for all the fish

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    Because they had crap ride, were incredibly poor quality, a huge car (for the UK), it drank like a fish, they were all left hand drive, and there wasn't much in the way of a dealer/ servicing network.

Not a recipie for success.

I remember when they came out here, I saw one at the motorshow. I got quite excited, but the closer I got, the worse it was. I think I could have gotten in by climbing through the panel gaps.

It was the same with the old Cadillac STS, Cheverolet Blazer, Chrysler Viper GTS, etc, etc...
    Figured someone would say some ignorant things on here...
    Have you ever rode in a 4th gen Camaro? What are you comparing it to when saying it has a "crap ride"? I recently rode in a new 350Z, now that has a crap ride, a Camaro rides much smoother than that. And as for gas guzzling, again what are you comparing it to? You do relize that a 02SS actually gets better gas milage than an S2000 right?

Quote Originally Posted by Slicks
    .. I recently rode in a new 350Z, now that has a crap ride, a Camaro rides much smoother than that.
    See, now we have to re-enter the old chestnut of EXPECTATIONS.
    Especially with the word 'smoother' See smooth means compliance, compliant-suspension means poor cornering and direction change if a large car.
    SO 'smooth' for you , translates to 'wallowing' for us usually. Hence why most cars get a rollocking from journos when they try to sell them over here.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

That's what I thought. I wonder how much a used R32 would be here. Gotta look around, but the only import place here in Texas close to Plano is the Rotary Imports and other cars.

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    See, now we have to re-enter the old chestnut of EXPECTATIONS.
    Especially with the word 'smoother' See smooth means compliance, compliant-suspension means poor cornering and direction change if a large car.
    SO 'smooth' for you , translates to 'wallowing' for us usually. Hence why most cars get a rollocking from journos when they try to sell them over here.
    Again coming from someone who has never ridden in a Camaro... Always assuming our cars lack suspension refinement.
    Tell me how is it that a Camaro SS is able to beat an S2000 around a track, when the S2000 is actually quicker to 60, and close to the same speed in the quartermile?
    S2000s time

Camaros time

Ill give you a hint, other than the fact that the Camaro has a much better mid range punch (thanks to the torqueless VTEC) its handling is greatly underrated, and people like you assume that since its a muscle car, it cant handle.

Again coming from someone who has never ridden in a Camaro...
    WRONG.

But not a modern one granted.
    Always assuming our cars lack suspension refinement.
    Tell me how is it that a Camaro SS is able to beat an S2000 around a track, when the S2000 is actually quicker to 60, and close to the same speed in the quartermile?
    Gearing.
    If the speeds keep the Camarro within it's wide torque range then the Honda won't manage to make up for the additional necessary gear changes it needs to use it's power.
    GRIP, the Camaro runs much more rubber than the S2000, so again depends on the circuit if it makes a difference.
    Oh and driver
    But NO, it's not either of those .....
    S2000s time

Camaros time

Ill give you a hint, other than the fact that the Camaro has a much better mid range punch (thanks to the torqueless VTEC) its handling is greatly underrated, and people like you assume that since its a muscle car, it cant handle.
    I'll give you a bigger hint, read the articles again and not just the numbers.
    The S2000 was in the wet
    OOPS

???????????

Oh and :PS: What are the spring and damper ratings for the S200 in the US market ? I'm repeatedlay having to point out that most of the time the US gets 'softer' settings from the manufacturers to make the cars sell.

Figured someone would say some ignorant things on here...
    Have you ever rode in a 4th gen Camaro? What are you comparing it to when saying it has a "crap ride"? I recently rode in a new 350Z, now that has a crap ride, a Camaro rides much smoother than that. And as for gas guzzling, again what are you comparing it to? You do relize that a 02SS actually gets better gas milage than an S2000 right?
    Oh, I'm so ignorant.
    The Camaro was the best ever car. So much better than anything else available in Europe at the time.
    That is why it was the runaway sales success of the decade.

Strangely enough, the British press consider the 350Z a fine car.
    Different countries, different driving styles, different requirements.
    American cars cannot cope with the appaling road surfaces in Britain, leading to lots of pitch and wallowing.

Seeing as I wasn't of a driving age, and there aren't many about, I didn't get the opportunity to sample the Camaro.

I do vividly remember its appearance on Top Gear though, driven by Tiff Needell. Again, I was looking forward to it, as I did actually like the thought of the Camaro at the time, but it wasn't a good day for the Camaro.
    Thanks for all the fish

After some further digging, I have found some info on the "UK" spec Camaro.

From Car magazine's "The Good, The Bad & The Ugly" from 2000.
    "Massive ammounts of sports-car presence and sheer grunt for the money - especially the V8. It'll make an impression. But it's simple and crude and as subtle as Liberace. Left hand drive only.

V6 is quicker than the MX-5 brigade, but you drive on the torque. Z28 is a 288bhp 5.7-litre V8, massively fast, and you needn't use the truck-like gearbox much. But there's a live axle at the back, so drive as if it's a (large) classic car in modern clothes.

Sold through a small network of Vauxhall dealers, so servicing ought to be matched to British norms, even if the car itself certainly isn't."

Lhd and big-cube engines will bring an insurance penalty.
    Understressed engines mean fuel consumption isn't too tragic.*"

*Still doesn't mean it is good.

3.8 V6 coupe £18,975 ($35,000) 125mph (0-60) 8.5 MPG 22.9
    3.8 V6 cabriolet £22,500 ($41,000)
    Z28 5.7 V8 £22,900 ($41,600) 158mph (0-60) 5.4 MPG 20.9

2001 Honda S2000 MPG 28.5

As both sources are British publications, I assume they are both imperial gallons.

Some comments on other American imports:
    Cadillac Seville STS: "Just one model, and we probably wouldn't choose it at all."

Chrysler Neon: "Sadly the Neon is nowhere near the standards of the best Europeans. The 2.0 litre engine is too noisy and the three speed auto comical.

Our Choice: Buy a nearly new Focus."

Chrysler Viper:"Here's a Chrysler import we don't actually need. We already do torquey beasts (see TVR/Marcos) better than this V10 animal, and it's neither cheap nor well equipped.

What'll it do mister? That'll be one of the mre polite enquiries you'll get from resentful members of the British public. Be prepared to be the centre of attention, whether you like it or not. Also be prepared for the thing to fidget and fuss ovr anything but smooth tarmac, yet another reason why it shouldn't be given road room over here. If you like powerslides on demand though, and you are challenged in the trouser department, this is definately your kind of snake.

A Viper GTS has airbags, air-con but no ABS or electric windows.
    The Roadster hasn't got any of the above. If it rains you'll be soaked by the time you've nailed the roof together. Kit-wise, even a Neon has more going for it than one of these."

Corvette C5:"Traditional Corvette virtues - value, performance, looks - married to a more sophisticated package that can compete globally.

Goes like a rocket sled... which will make an F355 go red. But ride is hard with the 'performance handling package' suspension. Opt for 'real-time' adaptive ride option, which also improves handling on real roads."

See - they can be nice if they want!
    Thanks for all the fish

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    WRONG.

But not a modern one granted.

Gearing.
    If the speeds keep the Camarro within it's wide torque range then the Honda won't manage to make up for the additional necessary gear changes it needs to use it's power.
    GRIP, the Camaro runs much more rubber than the S2000, so again depends on the circuit if it makes a difference.
    Oh and driver
    But NO, it's not either of those .....

I'll give you a bigger hint, read the articles again and not just the numbers.
    The S2000 was in the wet
    OOPS

???????????

Oh and :PS: What are the spring and damper ratings for the S200 in the US market ? I'm repeatedlay having to point out that most of the time the US gets 'softer' settings from the manufacturers to make the cars sell.
    Uh oh, the SS was driven in the rain too!
    Check Hondas website for the spring and damper rates, im not sure where else to look.

Thread Information