Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: skittle?

Quote Originally Posted by Alastor
    Although I am relatively new to the board, I know that it is foolish to question Matra et Alpine’s wisdom. Nevertheless, I have my doubts as to whether or not what the original poster described as a “skittle” is in fact the AL system.

The following link is a video of a Subaru WRC car entering and exiting the equivalent of a hair pin (900Kb avi file).

http://jupiter.walagata.com/w/alasto...mpreza.WRX.zip

Well before and most of the way through the corner a high pitched squeak (I am assuming this is the “skittle” noise) can be distinctly heard. Upon existing the corner the squeak is no longer present. Once on the straight a pop or bang can be heard during the up-shift, and then several more again at the end of the video (presumably from lifting off the accelerator).

It seems to me that the initial squeaking sounds more like a BOV or similar device. While the popping/banging could be caused by a AL system.

Even though there are not any question marks above, it is a question ;-)
    i know this is an old post but i just saw it, the only sounds i could make out was tire squeal, bov during the up changes, and the engine itself

Quote Originally Posted by KnifeEdge_2K1
    i know this is an old post but i just saw it, the only sounds i could make out was tire squeal, bov during the up changes, and the engine itself
    When I watch this video I hear lots of tire squealing also. But during the beginning of the video (0 -> 4 seconds) I hear a 'chirping' sound (I assume this 'chirp' is what the original poster described as a 'skittle'). To me this sounds like a BOV although it differs slightly from the traditional sound. Instead of making the normal "whoosh" it 'chirps' in short intervals. The only time I have heard a BOV make a 'chirping' sound is on a automatic AWD DSM. It is hard to say if the car is decelerating or accelerating during the corner entry so I wont make any assumption about it.

However, after clearing the corner the Subaru is accelerating away from the camera and at least one up-shift takes place. During the up-shift a short pop or rumble can be heard. As well during the initiation of the feint maneuver (~8 seconds) more rumbling occurs I assumed from releasing the accelerator. I was wondering if the rumbling could be caused by a anti-lag system.

yes my post was wanting to know what that exact chirping/clipping/skittle sound was just as the car is decelerating and maunovering round the corner it made a short sharp/skittle/chirping sounds in very short intervals and stopped soon as the car accelerates again!
    Last edited by paul; 09-18-2004 at 09:26 AM.

couldn't it be ABS? if they brake hard, you should hear when the brakes go on and off with the skittle noise.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

i don't think rally cars use abs ,lol

oooo, didn't know you were talking about rally cars, i haven't really followed the thread.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

ha ha na its rally allright , just tring to define what this skittle/chirping sound is comming from , matra originally has said its an anit turbo lag technique so its got to be that!

yeah, as the car is going into the corner the skittle is most likely the anti lag system keeping the turbo turbine speed up, it sounds like rapid firing roman candles

or a cage full of budjies!!!!

I took this sound clip from this On Board Camera Tramac Edition 2000 vid.

It is 37 seconds from a Peugeut 206:

http://jupiter.walagata.com/w/alastor/ALS.mp3

During braking there is a popping/banging noise sounds kind of like rocks bouncing around inside the cockpit. Just wondering if that is the AL system at work?

yes im guessing thats just the sound of the car repeatidly back firing because of the als
    www.britishmods.co.uk

Thread Information