Thread: old model supra

Question old model supra

hey guys im looking around for an old model supra (1988-1993).

but the thing is since there not new cars anymore im scared ill buy a crappy one.

so i thought maybe you can give me some pointers what to look at and how to find out that the turbo and stuffs still are ok.

any pointers recommedations and tips are welcome.

well tnx in 4ward.

Quote Originally Posted by uk83
    hey guys im looking around for an old model supra (1988-1993).

but the thing is since there not new cars anymore im scared ill buy a crappy one.

so i thought maybe you can give me some pointers what to look at and how to find out that the turbo and stuffs still are ok.

any pointers recommedations and tips are welcome.

well tnx in 4ward.
    Well for starters, once you find one your interested in go test drive it. See if you can find out how often the oil was changed and other maintenance things like that. (if at a dealership)Try and get the original owners number and find out why he/she sold the car, and anything esle you want to know.

you can always get someone to check it, like give it the normal WOF test and see if it passes. There should be a few car testing places around you. Do you know anyone with one of there cars??? if so, bring them along with you to help check it out. Good luck on finding 1. Try and get a manual, aero-top, turbo if you can, but those are damn near imposible to find.

Once the basics check out. It runs well...the paint is in good condition. Have a pre-purchase inspection done at a Toyota authorized shop. It generally should cost no more than a hours labor. Compression test is usually extra. If the car checks out, then you should atleast recoup the inspection cost in negotiating for the final price.

The 7M-GTE, inline 6 is a good engine but not as sturdy as Toyota 4 cylinders of the time. If you just want a nice car, not for speed. Avoid the Turbo. As even the normally aspirated Supra makes a healthy 200hp.
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

Just watch head as they supposively need a mod done to them to stop hotspots forming in head and cracking it or blowing the gasket,can find out a bit more info if U like as my brother had to have it done to his and fixed it a treat

indeed its really hard to find a manual supra here in holland. but as said checking it up @ a toyota licenced dealer would be a smart move.

and if you can find out how to see any failures in the head by asking ur bro, that would be cool.

tnx for the help so far.

Quote Originally Posted by 85RX7
    you can always get someone to check it, like give it the normal WOF test and see if it passes. There should be a few car testing places around you. Do you know anyone with one of there cars??? if so, bring them along with you to help check it out. Good luck on finding 1. Try and get a manual, aero-top, turbo if you can, but those are damn near imposible to find.
    Im pretty sure that they didnt make manual aerotops with turbos, they have to convert them to manuals later

EDIT: sorry i thought you were talkin bout current model, series III have manual aerotops not series IV
    The Datto will rage again...

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Supra
    Im pretty sure that they didnt make manual aerotops with turbos, they have to convert them to manuals later

EDIT: sorry i thought you were talkin bout current model, series III have manual aerotops not series IV
    They did, they are just uncommon, i saw a manual aerotop a few weeks back, dont think it was the turbo one tho.

can i put turbo on the non turbo version ( get all the stuff out of a wrecked turbo (exhoust and all))?

or make a automatic one manual?

Of course, you could put a turbo on a non-turbo car. But if that is your intention just find a turbo car as there are other modifications on the turbo. It has lower compression for one and probably, beefed-up internals. Again, you can go from auto to 5-speed but the cost makes it impractical.

If you're looking to make the ultimate Supra of that body style look into the inline 6 from the newer Supras. Same engine is also found in the SC300, IS300 and GS300. I don't know if a simple swap is possible(they are both Toyota 3.0 inline sixes) but the newer engine is much stronger. I've read some have turboed the new six to make high, high HP(400+).

It's a nice looking car, the older Supra but they say It's not a real handler. If you really like them, try this. Buy a nice example(so you can sell it if wanted), drive it for a few months (as-is without modifying anything) and if you still like it, then go-for-it!! IMO, newer cars are so able that you can spend a tonne of money fixing up an older car and a stock new WRX will be faster and better handling. Enjoy the old Supra for what it is, a large comfortable stylish GT.
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

Quote Originally Posted by uk83
    indeed its really hard to find a manual supra here in holland. but as said checking it up @ a toyota licenced dealer would be a smart move.

and if you can find out how to see any failures in the head by asking ur bro, that would be cool.

tnx for the help so far.
    The head has to have offtake pipe put in back right side of head to allow water flow from the back water jacket which supposively builds up pressure and causes hotspot at #6 eventually blowing gasket or worse,the water is fed to the top rad hose.The mod was already done on head he got from head reconditioner(which they do to all Toyota 7M heads) as his cracked as a result of this,is supposively recommended on all 7M engine heads,his was non Turbo

Ah my era in Toyota dealerships. The headgasket eats into the alloy head and also the cast block making them scrap also if over reved the big cast crank pully snaps the end off the crankshaft. LSD the plates bind if the wrong oil is used quite common my advice buy a V8 less trouble for big power.

Thread Information