Thread: problem?

problem?

I have a big problem on my hands at the mo.
    The problem is that my XSi wont start at all. When you turn the key to the start position nothing happens (just like having a flat battery), and yet the condition of the battery is fine. The lights still work, the radio comes on etc. The only things is that when in the start position you can hear a slight whireing sound, I'm thinking it could be the started motor is not engaging- have hit it a few times to try and dislodge the solinoid but to no avail

any help would be much appreciated!
    www.britishmods.co.uk

is there any fuel in the engine???Check the fuel pump and other parts involved, mate

If the battery really is charged and nothing happens then make sure that where the cables connect to the battery everything is really tight.

That happened to a friend of mine and in his case that was the problem.

well, from what I read there is no problem with the battery and the starter engine is running (the whining sound). Fuel has nothing to with it, otherwise you would hear the engine as well. It really looks like your diagnosis is corrent and the starter engine fails to connect. Can you get the engine running through a push start?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

yes i can bump start it !

but i think the wiring sound is the fuel pump engaging and not the motor just don't see why its not working ,it must be really dead!
    www.britishmods.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by paul
    yes i can bump start it !

but i think the wiring sound is the fuel pump engaging and not the motor just don't see why its not working ,it must be really dead!
    You may be right about the fuel pump, so it seems that the starter engine does not get any power from the battery. Check the electrical connections, is there a separate fuse for the starter engine?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

yea have checked that as well its all fine the connections look a bit dusty but thats just usual engine dust/ ill take it down to my dads mate tomorrow to get it checked over hope its not the starter motor
    www.britishmods.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by paul
    yea have checked that as well its all fine the connections look a bit dusty but thats just usual engine dust/ ill take it down to my dads mate tomorrow to get it checked over hope its not the starter motor
    Definitely sounds starter related. The whirring sound might be a free-spinning starter, not turning the engine. If you can push start it then it isn't fuel and you said the battery is OK. Let us know what it was...
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

ok will do ! i can normally work these problems out myself but obviously not this time!
    www.britishmods.co.uk

Thread Information