Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Auto-Cross-ers

Auto-Cross-ers

Pick which you'd choose as your AutoX machine.
    (No Modifications)

BMW M3 Clubsport
    Mazdaspeed MX-5 Miata
    Mercedes AMG CL65
    Mini Cooper S Works
    Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR
    Porsche 997 Carrera S
    Subaru Impreza WRX STi

For Autocrossing? Probably the Cooper S Works... if not, the MX-5.

Deffinitly the mini.
    why?
    because ive heard matra ramble about how good a auto crosser it is.
    < 1 - 2 - to the bass >

How big of a course? tight course or a fast course?
    Big course, sti, fast course, sti, the turbo helps so much coming out of the corners and the straights, on a small tight course, i would definetly pick the mini s.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

DEFINETLY the Lancer Evolution MR, I have no clue what auto crossing is (isnt it just a track marked out with cones ?) but the MR completely outclasses all those other cars (amg 65 ... loads of torque but mad understeer) at all fields

my next choice would be the mx5 just cuz its a great handling lil car and im getting one next summer (used not new)

the porsche is a rear engine machine which is the drivetrain ive never really liked, although in this particular example it does obtain optimal weight distribution i dont see the advantage over mid engined machines just makes the length/wheelbase aspect ratio worse which means worse for polar moment of enertia, stability due to lack of weight over front wheels ... ect

ps lancer evolution mr totally owns sti in all areas, sorry but it's true

Quote Originally Posted by kko
    Deffinitly the mini.
    why?
    because ive heard matra ramble about how good a auto crosser it is.
    the old mini's are quiet good for the small tight courses where manuvrability is key, but for the big courses, it is just way to slow with the low hp, same thing with the new one, it isn't to fast on the big courses, but on a small tight course, it is great.

The Mini Cooper S Works for sure, unless it was a huge track.. then it would be the EVO MR.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Quote Originally Posted by KnifeEdge_2K1
    DEFINETLY the Lancer Evolution MR, I have no clue what auto crossing is (isnt it just a track marked out with cones ?) but the MR completely outclasses all those other cars (amg 65 ... loads of torque but mad understeer) at all fields

my next choice would be the mx5 just cuz its a great handling lil car and im getting one next summer (used not new)

the porsche is a rear engine machine which is the drivetrain ive never really liked, although in this particular example it does obtain optimal weight distribution i dont see the advantage over mid engined machines just makes the length/wheelbase aspect ratio worse which means worse for polar moment of enertia, stability due to lack of weight over front wheels ... ect

ps lancer evolution mr totally owns sti in all areas, sorry but it's true
    autocrossing is going through a marked course through sets of cones called "gates". I've seen evo's go against sti's, although it could be the drivers but seeing as they were both in the street class, and not novices, they should know what they are doing, the sti kicked the evo's ass , the mx-5 makes a good autocross car, but it differs between what kind of track it is. Porsches usually do quite well because the way they have been set up with adjustable shocks(camber and toe) and weight removal.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnynumfiv
    autocrossing is going through a marked course through sets of cones called "gates". I've seen evo's go against sti's, although it could be the drivers but seeing as they were both in the street class, and not novices, they should know what they are doing, the sti kicked the evo's ass , the mx-5 makes a good autocross car, but it differs between what kind of track it is. Porsches usually do quite well because the way they have been set up with adjustable shocks(camber and toe) and weight removal.
    on top gear test track the evo mr beat the wr1 by 3.6 seconds, the fq300 beat the sti ppp by 1.2 seconds

on 95% of all the reviews done by either magazine, website, or television program said the evo was faster

and throughout the history of 5th and top gear i do not recall one time where the impreza out performed the evo in performance

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    Whether you'd wanna live with the Mitsu dealers is another matter...
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

WTF is Auto-X ?

Autotest is a maneuvrability contest in tight space where cars have to make numerous moves forward and backwards in and out and through 'gates'. Outrihgt winners are usually very lightweight specials with short wheelbase, FWD and 100psi rear tyres 4WDs don't do well as all that weight can't be balanced with speed.

Can you point to FIA regs or info as we're possibly all talking about different types of competition.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

There is a vast difference in tracks but all are considered autocross. Tracks can be over a mile long with few but medium/difficult turns and long straights, ideal for high hp cars, then there can be very short tracks that have many difficult turns, this is where the light weights come out on top. I guess brits call it different.

There is a vast difference in tracks but all are considered autocross. Tracks can be over a mile long with few but medium/difficult turns and long straights, ideal for high hp cars, then there can be very short tracks that have many difficult turns, this is where the light weights come out on top. I guess brits call it different.
    exactly, and whatever each person defines autocross as should influence his response

ah NOW the lsit of cars make sense.

I had a vision of some poor guy trying to get a Carrera to reverse spin in tight space and handbrake into garage
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Thread Information