Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Unique Volkswagen engines.

Unique Volkswagen engines.

Ferdinand Piech thought of the idea of a 5-cylinder in-line when he was the head of R&D of Audi. During his years with Porsche, he designed the flat turbocharged 12 engine for the 917 race car, and he also though of a 16cylinder engine which never came to existence; however, latter the creations of three unique W layout engines came: the Volks Wagon W12, Bently’s W16, and Bugatti’s W18. Maybe Piech’s enthusiasm of such unique engines created these “unnecessary engines” as some call it.

So much cylinders don’t make sense to automakers, especially when cost is a issue. V12 is the smoothest, and is capable of producing mighty power; Ferrari for one uses them for years, and years to come. W-engines have advantages in packaging, but the designe is said to cause quite a bit of friction, and therefore less power. Cooling is also more difficult, maybe this is why they are never used in motor-races. A V12 is still quite lighter, and the W16/W18 engines are to overweight for supercars; they are reserved for Bugatti and Bentley only.

One of the engines that catches me the most is the V5 (also known as VR5). Yes, a five cylinder in a Vee angle. The V5 is as smooth as any V6 (not the early prototypes though), yet the engineering is unknown; at least I can’t find it. How does it work? Volks Wagon seams to not give out any information on the internal mechanics inside.

Very interesting V5 engines, and crazy multi-cylinder engines. They will, or have, stoped production on the W12, and the V5 never made it to production standards. Anyone have more info?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    The wind that blows in the Andes.

-_-+
    a ... V5??!?!?!
    w t f .? thats new

Quote Originally Posted by illusionest
    -_-+
    a ... V5??!?!?!
    w t f .? thats new
    Haha, that's what I said when I first heard...although, it's not new.

Its not very new at all, but ya, its very "wtf".
    UPC's most heavy Bawls drinker. :D

all it is, is a vr6 with one cylinder chopped off. reason for doing this is because many countrys tax on engine displacement. a v"r" 5 will be taxed less than a v"r" 6.
    [FONT=ComicSansMS]Got QUATTRO?[/FONT]

now why didn't they just design an inline 5 if they're gonna make a 5 cylinder engine. A V5 is just stupid

Quote Originally Posted by Sweeney921
    now why didn't they just design an inline 5 if they're gonna make a 5 cylinder engine. A V5 is just stupid
    Size, the 'V' is very compact.

Isn't the Honda MotoGP engine a V5. Vibration-wise if a V5 can handle motorcycle engine speeds...
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

there's no real need for an engine THAT compact. It also won't have as good of cooling. Notice how all the crappy cars around these days all have Inline 4s, instead of V-4s. Cost saving? I think not.

Quote Originally Posted by PerfAdv
    Size, the 'V' is very compact.

Isn't the Honda MotoGP engine a V5. Vibration-wise if a V5 can handle motorcycle engine speeds...

Yes the Honda is a V5, but really designed with two separate cylinder heads.

The VW5 comes with one cylinder head, under which the the cylinders have a very narrow V-angle, like for instance the Lancia V4 from the Fulvia which had an angle of 13' only.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by d-quik
    How do they balance that and how can it be as smooth as a V6.
    They dont. Chevy put this in one of the new trucks which was tested by motertrend, they said it sounded weird. It would bother me a lot tho because anything that isnt semitrical bugs the hell out fo me... lol (OCD)
    UPC's most heavy Bawls drinker. :D

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoChimp22
    They dont. Chevy put this in one of the new trucks which was tested by motertrend, they said it sounded weird. It would bother me a lot tho because anything that isnt semitrical bugs the hell out fo me... lol (OCD)
    i am with you i hate 5 cyl eng .....
    Some Rulers Are Immortalized In Marble Others,
    In Carbon Fiber.{Hard Core Audi Fan}Ich Fahr Omnibus!
    """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

I don't think Chevrolet has a V5 in anything?

They have a I5 in the Collorado, and by "weird", I don't know what they mean. 5 cylinder engines have a very unique sound, and can have a low-pitch growl to them. Franlkly, I love the sound from a Volvo with a exhaust system

Quote Originally Posted by distress
    I don't think Chevrolet has a V5 in anything?

They have a I5 in the Collorado, and by "weird", I don't know what they mean. 5 cylinder engines have a very unique sound, and can have a low-pitch growl to them. Franlkly, I love the sound from a Volvo with a exhaust system
    Correct. The Colorado has a 3500 Inline 5. And someone here with Audi 90 (which has I-5) also love the sound. Sound, it's very subjective and a personal preference thing.

If the VR6 spawned the new VW V5, it will benefit from the 6s extreme narrow V, like 16 degree. As Henk4 said, so narrow it has one head. I don't know of any performance advantage but such an engine would definitely have packaging benefits.
    "Racing improves the breed" ~Sochiro Honda

I have an audi 90 :P, yes the sound is beautifull, better then a v5. I also know someone who has a golf v5, but there's like no engine sound at all(new cars :P).

Yep, Honda proved V5 can dliver power and was thought to be more 'gentle' delivery - important on a motorbike which only has a patch the size of your hand to deliver 250bhp through.

Yes it can sound odd ( as do triples ).
    There were a few recording around in the early days when Honda were playign with different cranks and firing orders.
    Try to watch a MotoGP race to hear it ( and turn the speakers up - assuming you aren't subjective to commentators with verbal-diarhoea !! )
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Thread Information