Page 12 of 55 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Automotive idiot stories...

One of the kids (~17) at the local bike shop was telling me several weeks ago he could power slide his mother's Camery around the corners on the way to the shop. I commented on my brief experence in driving a Camery that understeer was the order of the day, but if seriously provoked it could possibly snap to oversteer - but I pulled back before then due to me expecting that I would require a change of underwear afterwards. He then proceded to tell me it is perfectly happy to power slide and there was nothing scary about it even at up to 150kph.

The other day he was boasting that he had just purchased a E30 325e, and that this was the best handling car ever, and when he was working on it he had remover the muffler - making it sound like a Spitfire. The sound description is debatable, but when I mentioned that I had been taken out in the CCR the day before and suspected that the handling claim could be a little optimistic it was quickly pointed out that the CCR was never going too be as good as the McLaren F1 and it was overpriced. I took this no further.

back in the sixties my mother managed to wreck her Duster on a curb. I still dont no how that possible going at less than 5 miles and hour. the car was unrepairable had to go to the junk yard

Quote Originally Posted by Cyco
    One of the kids (~17) at the local bike shop was telling me several weeks ago he could power slide his mother's Camery around the corners on the way to the shop. I commented on my brief experence in driving a Camery that understeer was the order of the day, but if seriously provoked it could possibly snap to oversteer - but I pulled back before then due to me expecting that I would require a change of underwear afterwards. He then proceded to tell me it is perfectly happy to power slide and there was nothing scary about it even at up to 150kph.

The other day he was boasting that he had just purchased a E30 325e, and that this was the best handling car ever, and when he was working on it he had remover the muffler - making it sound like a Spitfire. The sound description is debatable, but when I mentioned that I had been taken out in the CCR the day before and suspected that the handling claim could be a little optimistic it was quickly pointed out that the CCR was never going too be as good as the McLaren F1 and it was overpriced. I took this no further.
    how's that stupid? the CCR isnt as good as the mclaren and it is overpriced

oversteer is possible with fwd cars

and removing the muffler on engines do make them sound more muscular

Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    back in the sixties my mother managed to wreck her Duster on a curb. I still dont no how that possible going at less than 5 miles and hour. the car was unrepairable had to go to the junk yard
    ... was this curb beside a cliff?

KnifeEdge, have you ever driven a Camery? I am not denying a FWD car can oversteer, it is just that in a Camery when I tried (on a very quite country road) to provoke it; The bodies lack of torsional stiffness and the suspension settings conspired to make me feel that the transition from understeer to oversteer would not be progressive and controllable - but that it would snap from one to the other. I am not a good enough driver to be happy in this situation.

As to the Koenigsegg/McLaren and which is better: I have driven neither car, but maybe soon I will have the chance to get behind the wheel of the Swedish entrant in this contest. Till you, I or other UCPer has the chance to drive them back to back and can give a full report - we will have to settle for the reports of others. They at this time point to some minor flaws in the McLaren, and that Koenigsegg had (and took) the opportunity to study the McLaren and the other supercars and from this they aimed to remove all the flaws they found in them when building their own car.

I would not knock back either with the spare cash to buy one, but the need for Koenigsegg to rejig their factory to allow them to increase their production 50% for next year would tend to indicate that not everyone considers the CCR overpriced. How much do you consider it to be worth? What else is on the market that makes it look overpriced?

A kid I know from high school put water in the oil of their Honda once. They also asked me what the Carbenator was on it.

one guy in my class thinks hes all that, i think he is that much of a retard. the "class clown"............long story. he thinks the ford mustang badge is ferrari's badge. nobody can convince him. it gave me a good laugh
    My Photography: flickr.com/photos/a-m-photo/
    "The best way to predict the future is to invent it."

I have a 1995 Nissan Altima until I finally replace it.

I drove it until the brake shoe fell off. That was a long handbraked ride home.

I think this one deserves to be in this thread...

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1527223

Yes, that's an oil pan. No, that isn't motor oil.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

I was about to say... That sure as hell wasn't a frakking radiator.. o_O

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs
    I think this one deserves to be in this thread...

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1527223

Yes, that's an oil pan. No, that isn't motor oil.
    is that... washer fluid??? OMG
    Last edited by Egg Nog; 02-19-2005 at 07:39 PM.
    Who killed the Electric Car?
    GO HABS GO!

that's coolent, but it was put in the wrong spot........

ok, i think i will add my own little story here.

just finished loading up my little hatchback full of my mates computer gear. close the boot. didnt check to make sure it was closed properly. found out it wasnt when i got to 100kms on the motorway and the hatchback popped open. started fishtailing quite badly. pull over check the boot and its half empty
    UCP's number one (and probably only) toyota KP starlet fan

Kid walks into the McLaren factory and steals all the new paint they've just taken delivery of and only leaves the black and the silver.

i thought it was mildly amusing
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Kid walks into the McLaren factory and steals all the new paint they've just taken delivery of and only leaves the black and the silver.

i thought it was mildly amusing
    If you walk into a Mclaren factory planning to steal something... STEAL THE CAR!!! What an idiot.

Thread Information