Thread: Can someone help me please?

Unhappy Can someone help me please?

I just got a speeding ticket, and the police officer said I made it up to 40mph in a 1 and 1/2 block range from a dead stop. I drive a 1992 Chevrolet Cavalier 4 cyl automatic. It hasn't has a tune up in god know how long. I tested this theory, and I could not get my car up to that speed that quickly. It was impossible even when putting the gas peddle to the floor. Is there anyone who can give me some kind of spec or proof of what I am claiming. No judge is going to believe a 21 year olf girl over a cop. Thanks so much for any help anyone can give me.

dont know what the laws in your area are.i know here in california, as long as you didnt go over the speedlimit or chirp the tires, there isnt anything wrong with that. there are no laws regulating how fast you accelarate as long as you dont speed or break traction, if the tires squeel or chirp it is illegal

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    Simplistically I could find the 0-60 accelleration time, and then figure out the average rate of acceleration, and translate that to distance...that might be more technical than you want though.

*shrugs* I'm not really sure. You're always gonna have a hard time trying to prove a cop's word wrong in court.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Quote Originally Posted by TEXSRT4
    dont know what the laws in your area are.i know here in california, as long as you didnt go over the speedlimit or chirp the tires, there isnt anything wrong with that. there are no laws regulating how fast you accelarate as long as you dont speed or break traction, if the tires squeel or chirp it is illegal
    That's true, I live here in Cali and didn't think of that one. Good catch.

interesting...

check out the post count
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [url]www.spenserheaps.smugmug.com[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by SPHFerrari
    interesting...

check out the post count

----->
    Attached Files Attached Files

YEAH A GIRL!

a little math would probably suffice...but honestly I'm not sure how you could get busted for accelerating...unless you were speeding or driving recklessly...you can always get a lawyer....
    And Iraaaaaaaaaaaan

Iran's so far awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay...

ROR

roughly 11 seconds to sixty...anyone know how many feet that is?
    And Iraaaaaaaaaaaan

Iran's so far awaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay...

ROR

I'd have to dig out my physics notes, but I could probably figure that out

How long is this 1.5 block range?

Dont quote me on this one but ive been told that for every second in the 1/4 mile its roughly 7 car lengths.

If the laws are similar in the US as to Oz then the cop hasn't a leg to stand on,the only way they can measure speed(which is what sort of ticket you said you got) is timed over a measured distance,following in a police car with a calibrated speedo or by radar/laser.Similar thing happened to me years ago by an off duty cop in his own car who from a distance ESTIMATED my speed over a set distance and said because I accelerated hard I was speeding,he used alot of BS and intimidation but I eventually had my day in court and had his evidence laughed out of the court by the Judge,and he was chief of the police station.

there really is know help, you can pay the ticket or go to court and let the judge see what he thinks of the speed your car was doing.........i have a friend that was caught going 65mph over the posted speed limit in a construction zone (posted was 55mph), he went to court, pled not guilty, now he is going through a jury trial starting in january......not sure if it was me that i would go through all this trouble, if your caught your caught, if not, spend the money, get a lawyer and see what happens in court.............just my .02
    1992 mustang gt twinturbo'd
    1988 mustang gt bottlefed
    2004 mach 1 resting in garage
    see pic's of my car's at www.turborides.com

t = time

acceleration is 0-60 in 11 sec
    thats 5.45mph/s

thats 5.45/3600 mps^2

so thats 5.45/3600t for velocity with respect to time

2.725/3600*t^2 for displacement assuming initial velocity and orgin are 0

you'd travel .1 of a mile

this isnt extremely accurate since acceleration for cars arnt a constant value as opposed to say .. acceleration caused by earth's gravitational field at a certain altitude

since the car's acceleration is EXACTLY that of the torque curve minus air resistance you should actually be getting a distance a bit less then one from this function, ... but dont tell the judge that :P

btw .1 of a mile is about 160 meters

If you live in the US I would definately fight the ticket. Most judges usually cut you a deal when you fight a ticket.

Thread Information