I know nothing of sail boat or sail boat racing, my passing knowledge of the competition is that I know these things are very advanced, and Adrian Newey's dream is to build a winning boat for America's Cup. The interest was really spurred by the fact that NBC Sport covers the event this year at San Francisco, and it was just about the most facinating thing I've seen in a long time. The insanely big catamaran with 40m tall composite rigid sail(more like wing), weighs 7 tons, and yet they can go 40 knots running on skinny hydrofoil and turn(by 20+m boat standard) on a dime....and all operated by 11 men and wind power...

Add to it is what seems to be the most improbable sport story of a team down 8-1 as of last week for a series that races to 9 wins(and the said down team started with a score of -2). And as of yesterday the score was draw even after 2 weeks of racing, and today(weather permitting) one race will decide the winner...

All in all very intriguing as a sport story and as an engineering object of interest, considering also the operating budget for one of these sailing team is about as much as a F1 team....with similar level of technology....