i wasnt sure where to post this, but since it concerns my car, i figured i'd put it here. i really need someone who's not a 12 year old pretending to own a mclaren F1's opinion.

basically, i have a 1998 P-reg Vauxhall Corsa, 1.4 16v CDX. by now you've probably guessed i'm english, and since its an old corsa, i'm also a student, a teacher or an OAP. don't ask why i said teacher. in case you dont know, which i doubt very much, the engine like the rest of the car is very unsophisticated so i doubt you need to be an experienced vauxhall mechanic to help, but if you are one anyway then thats amazing.

anyway, so i installed an amp in the boot and had to employ some pretty cowboy-esque wiring techniques (namely cutting a hole in the insulation of one wire and wrapping the bare end of another around it). this, unsurprisingly, came undone. i went to fix it today, and it worked- however now my speedometer doesnt.

also, i believe this is due to the air flow sensor or MAP sensor, but i was driving about earlier and every time i changed gear or went into neutral, the revs plummeted like jade goody's popularity since this year's celebrity big brother, and if i didnt apply any accelerator before the revs dropped as low as around 250rpm, it would stall.

so, may i ask anyone who was gracious enough to read that story the following questions:
1. do you think its an air flow sensor fault?
2. could i have blown a fuse somehow when reconnecting the amp remote wire?
3. if it were a blown fuse, why didnt the stalling problem occur persistently on my way home (it was playing up from about 5-6pm ish, i drove home at 2am)?

thats the offending vehicle. its a bastard.
i'm very sorry this was so long, and thank you for reading if you did.