Quote Originally Posted by h00t_h00t View Post
Don't get an aygo sport, all you get is body coloured trim and alloy wheels, so its really not worth it. Infact, don't get either. A Fiat Panda 100hp costs about the same to buy and insure AND its supposed to be more fun.
What have you been smoking? All versions of the Aygo are in insurance group 1E whereas the Panda 100HP is in group 5, which is one higher than my car. He'd be paying well over £1,600/year under his own name to insure one. Not only that but the Aygo is only about 2/3 of the Panda 100HP's price.

I've noticed a trend on UCP recently; Everybody's obsessed with the top of the range designation from any given model range. "Ooh, I want a Sport GT Lightweight Luxury LWB Track Day Special!!!1one." Nobody's happy with anything less than the top of the range - a stupid obsession that'll come to bear when insurance is due! A much more realistic approach would be to compare a Panda 1.2 petrol or 1.3 diesel to the Aygo.

In the category we're talking about here: Superminis, price is everything - especially when you consider that most of the drivers are relatively new.

The quickest cars for the money (including insurance) are the last-gen Clio, Corsa and Punto 1.4's in middle-range designations (Dynamique / SXi / Dynamic) without A/C. I should know, I own one (Corsa) and despite what the heavily prejudiced and opinionated (probably due to backhanders) British press say, it's a fun car to drive.*

*The British press (Top Gear etc.), have repeatedly criticised the Corsa for one of having lacklustre handling qualities leading to very pronounced understeer...in my experience the solution to that is to actually bother to put the laptop down and turn the steering wheel.