Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Have you ever topped a car out?

I usually top my Fiat and my girllfriend's Polo 1.0. 150kph is enough fot both.

The only two cars that I found amusing to top were the 2.5 Boxster and the '88 BMW 735. That's is going a bit fast! The BMW had far more grunt at high speed than the Boxster of course, only giving up close to 240kph. Porsche's needle stood quiet soon after 220.
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

I had a Citroen BX that had this "eye" as a speedometer. When you drove backwards, the thing turned also backwards and showed 200.

Quote Originally Posted by McReis
    Pretty clear! I saw that comming!
    Even my HDI 90bhp clocked 210 once, going very downhill indeed!
    In that same place even my old Opel Kadett 1.7D van once clocked 210 Those Opel odometers just suck! My mate had a Vectra 1.7D (Vauxhall Cavalier in her Majesty's) wich had an odometer that when normally up but was slow going down. So he could easely claim he made an hard highway exit corner at 160kph
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Just bounced off 170MPH in my Sierra on German Autobahn then had to back off to 155MPH (as front wheels were coming off ground over joins in road)which sat on for an hour,alot of fun

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    I had a Citroen BX that had this "eye" as a speedometer. When you drove backwards, the thing turned also backwards and showed 200.

I went to tears with that one! I remeber very well those odometers, but didn't knew about that special feature. It is a nice way to help usual elderly Citröen buyers to top their BX's.
    Not that you are elderly or something...
    Last edited by McReis; 11-18-2004 at 08:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by cossie
    Just bounced off 170MPH in my Sierra on German Autobahn then had to back off to 155MPH (as front wheels were coming off ground over joins in road)which sat on for an hour,alot of fun
    What Sierra does 170mph?
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

My '94 Mustang didn't really top out, likewise with my '70 Roadrunner. In both cars there was more speed to be had, in the Mustang it had 220km/h (135 mph) showing - might have been 200km/h, can't really remember and the 'runner's best 1/4 mile trap speed was 131mph but that was around 6700rpm - not really healthy for a 440 block, but it felt as if it could pull more than a few more mph before grenading itself.

I had a lot of early to late '70's cars that all seemed to go up to 120-130 mph (at least shown on the speedo never had them officially radared - too expensive )

A few years ago I had my brother's Yamaha R1 pegged at 280 km/h and several years before that I had my Yamaha Fazer up around 240 km/h.

My Ex-Hyundai Accent pulled (lmao ) all the way up to 170km/h.

What Sierra does 170mph?
    Mine, as she is not a standard one obviously, it's blowing 27psi at anyones guess on horsepower (as yet to get it dyno'd).The nite I did it it was around 1 or 2 degrees C so the intercooler was working a treat

Quote Originally Posted by cossie
    Mine, as she is not a standard one obviously, it's blowing 27psi at anyones guess on horsepower (as yet to get it dyno'd).The nite I did it it was around 1 or 2 degrees C so the intercooler was working a treat
    base being a Sierra Cosworth?

Quote Originally Posted by NoOne
    My '94 Mustang didn't really top out, likewise with my '70 Roadrunner. In both cars there was more speed to be had, in the Mustang it had 220km/h (135 mph) showing - might have been 200km/h, can't really remember and the 'runner's best 1/4 mile trap speed was 131mph but that was around 6700rpm - not really healthy for a 440 block, but it felt as if it could pull more than a few more mph before grenading itself.

I had a lot of early to late '70's cars that all seemed to go up to 120-130 mph (at least shown on the speedo never had them officially radared - too expensive )

A few years ago I had my brother's Yamaha R1 pegged at 280 km/h and several years before that I had my Yamaha Fazer up around 240 km/h.

My Ex-Hyundai Accent pulled (lmao ) all the way up to 170km/h.
    Did you get 1/8 mile times? All we have here is a 1/8 mile track. I had the pantera through there in 8.5 sec, 84mph.

one of my friends ford taurus is a v6 and doesn't come with a govener will do a little over a 140mph stock @7000rpm

base being a Sierra Cosworth?
    is ther any other

ive done 200 in ma accord...took ages to get there....didnt go any more...

mebe if i had closed the windows....
    wat the hell do i put as a siggy?!?!?!

well technically i shouldnt be driving yet but i managed to get to 75mph, not topped out but hey there is plenty of time for that
    Cedric - I sound like a chipmunk on there. Some friends of mine were like, "were you going through puberty?" I was like, no I was already 20, I just sound like a girl.

Well if we're including "downhill assists" ....

Renault Espace WITH roof box, 3 adults, 2 kids, 130mph on the Autobahn !!

What surprised me was the thing was as stable as a rock.
    I'd expected it to get skittish over 110
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Well if we're including "downhill assists" ....

Renault Espace WITH roof box, 3 adults, 2 kids, 130mph on the Autobahn !!

What surprised me was the thing was as stable as a rock.
    I'd expected it to get skittish over 110

That should be taken to a new thread called "Have you ever overtopped a car?"

Another episode to fill you with french car fascination.

Thread Information