Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Ukraine is building a second An-225!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    An-225 Length - 84m
    C5 Galaxy length - 75.5m

3 and a bit inches perhaps
    More important would be its payload and the cubic metres thereof.
    You can always guarantee you will get a sensitive reply from a US patriot somewhere eh. And all the better for its innacuracy.
    Last edited by crisis; 01-12-2005 at 06:29 PM.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Niko_Fx
    At least she would have an excuse...
    baitch.

i'd hate to be the pilot of that thing, especially if you wandered into a combat zone...

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey
    i'd hate to be the pilot of that thing, especially if you wandered into a combat zone...
    I dont think it is owned by the military.

i didn't say it was, but if you're flying aid into a country that isn't exactly stable, someone might take potshots at you
    besides, i'm not saying it would happen, i'm just saying i'd hate to be behind the controls of it if you fly into a combat zone

i didn't say it was, but if you're flying aid into a country that isn't exactly stable, someone might take potshots at you
    besides, i'm not saying it would happen, i'm just saying i'd hate to be behind the controls of it if you fly into a combat zone
    I saw a video of an airshow at Avalon where they had the next one down from this flying around (four engined) . It got so low at one point I bet the organisers shat. The guy banked it hard and it looked like it was dipping its wing tip in the ground. I would love to have been there (I think).

Quote Originally Posted by crisis
    More important would be its payload and the cubic metres thereof.
    You can always guarantee you will get a sensitive reply from a US patriot somewhere eh. And all the better for its innacuracy.
    ....I'm Canadian....and I expected inaccuracies....what do you expect? I was doing it off the top of my head
    GO CANADA
    37 Courageous RCSCC
    Retired Chief Petty Officer First Class

Quote Originally Posted by pimp_squeak
    ....I'm Canadian....and I expected inaccuracies....what do you expect? I was doing it off the top of my head
    It would have taken Coventry no more than a minute to come up with the accurate figures from the net. If you are going to post things you know are innacurate then be prepard to be told so. Just like my assumption that you were American. Thats what you get with generalisations, make you look stupid.

It is actually interesting to know that this plane was left to rot for a number of years after the Soviet space programme collapsed. It was used to carry the Buran space shuttle on its back, just like the americans use a 747.
    Antonov decided to recommission the plane and it took more than a year to get it back in order and to obtain all certificates of airworthiness. (A long feature on Discovery Channel told me all of this). It's payload is 250 ton.
    Its smaller sister, the 4 engined Antonov 124 is a regular visitor at cargo terminals all over the world. It "only" carries just over 170 tons.
    The large amount of wheels is a feature of many russian aircraft which are designed to use low quality air strips. (like a C130 Hercules for instance).
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    It is actually interesting to know that this plane was left to rot for a number of years after the Soviet space programme collapsed. It was used to carry the Buran space shuttle on its back, just like the americans use a 747.
    Antonov decided to recommission the plane and it took more than a year to get it back in order and to obtain all certificates of airworthiness. (A long feature on Discovery Channel told me all of this). It's payload is 250 ton.
    Its smaller sister, the 4 engined Antonov 124 is a regular visitor at cargo terminals all over the world. It "only" carries just over 170 tons.
    The large amount of wheels is a feature of many russian aircraft which are designed to use low quality air strips. (like a C130 Hercules for instance).
    We have been graced with the presence of the An124 here in little old Adelaide a couple of times.

when i was doing my general service training at amberley i saw some of those in-flight tankers, and i though they were big. nut they're nothing compared to this an-225, how can the ukraine afford to build such a huge plane?

when i was doing my general service training at amberley i saw some of those in-flight tankers, and i though they were big. nut they're nothing compared to this an-225, how can the ukraine afford to build such a huge plane?
    It was during Soviet Union times that the plane was built, but after the dissolution of the Soviet Union the Antonov factory found itself to be in the new indepent state called the Ukraine.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by crisis
    We have been graced with the presence of the An124 here in little old Adelaide a couple of times.
    Last year it was announced that the AN225 was coming to visit one of our airports, and they even gave an ETA. Thousands of spotter flocked there until the news came that the plane had stuck with fuel problems in Tashkent, Uzbekistan. It never came.

The An 124 I have seen many times, both in ex-soviet republics and overhere

ok, but i thought the ukraine was rather poor, so is antonov building the plane with its own funds?

ok, but i thought the ukraine was rather poor, so is antonov building the plane with its own funds?
    They are probably earning money on the chartering out of the An-124's many of which are still owned by the factory.

Thread Information