Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cadillac on the up-and-up?

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.

Cadillac on the up-and-up?

I read 9 reviews on Cars.com today for the STS. Normally I'm not too trusting of auto journos, but when all 9 are generally praising it, and 6 of them basically gush on it, I realize that it has to have something going for it to overcome the journo bias against Cadillacs. Not to mention that that much good press is great for image and sales while Cadillac builds up its image once again.

Could Cadillac be on the road to fully competing with the world's "best"? The CTS, roadster (whatever it's called) and STS seem to say so. It seems Cadllac has a pretty good competitor in all three price segments, plus the Escalade SUV (which I'm still reluctant, though not totally averse, to calling a true Cadillac). Now, if only the cars had real names. I think Seville for the CTS, DeVille for the STS, and Eldorado for the roadster would work nicely. And a big S-class or 7-series type sedan would help image (I wrote a paper for a marketing class on what I believe Cadillac needs to be competitive, and in broad principle, that is what Cadillac is doing now).

Personally, I have warmed up to the looks after basically thinking they were butt-ugly, even next to a Bangle Bimmer. The STS and roadster look fantastic, the CTS I'm still lukewarm about, but it doesn't leave me cold anymore. The RWD is a HUGE plus for me. And although I'm not the hugest sporting or technology fan ever (to put it very mildly), the excellent inroads made by Cadillac in these areas in the last few years should help sales immensely. Already one report pegged sales up to 230k after a low in 2003 of 151k. More than doubling your sales in 2 years for a luxo company is pretty damn good, IMHO. Cadillac seems on the up-and-up, and although they still have some imagebuilding to do, it looks like they're getting there.

What's your thoughts?
    Last edited by jcp123; 02-04-2005 at 02:57 AM.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

They are there ONLY IN MAKING PROTOTYPES i guess... the cadillac sixteen is a good prototype... i think...

not a Proto, a concept!

Quote Originally Posted by Cadillac Imaj
    not a Proto, a concept!
    Prototypes and concept are the same (almost) but the sixteen is a proto.

Like Coventrysucks said, just put your fav. Cadi or put your comments on your fav. Cadillac. He just warned us. We have to learn our lesson.

you guys are sheer idiots.. Cadillac makes good automobiles, not just concepts.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

I think they're doing a damn good job. My dad recently bought an '03 CTS (trade in for our van) and its an awesome car. Compared to the 97 BMW 3 series I drove, in luxury this puts it to shame. The CTS does feel longer (it probably is) but its steering is very precise, and the control is amazine for a "big" luxury sedan.
    Also I had a chance to mess around with the stability system, it works great. I took off T/C and gave it about 1/2 throttle coming out of a short, sharp turn (no one was around, and it was a large road, dont worry) The car got completely sideways and then on the LCD screen displayed "stability system active". Amazingly it guieded the rear to straiten out, and I only used minimal braking(I felt the ABS working too). Id love to see what this thing was like on a track.

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella
    you guys are sheer idiots.. Cadillac makes good automobiles, not just concepts.
    So true. They have always made great cars (just not for performance). The older ones have great ride quality and reliabily. And these new ones are truly unlike any caddi made. Think of them like BMW or Merc's with caddi badges.

Quote Originally Posted by Slicks
    Id love to see what this thing was like on a track.
    Was that to try it with all those aids switched off ?
    Tiff Needell is well known on the UK TV progs for screaming when the "aids" are preventing him from getting the most out of a car at various stages. He's also famous for switching them off - even when told not to - I think he's the only journalist who turned off the Enzo traction control while test drivning it at Maranello
    IMHO "aids" on a track are useful for letting the medicre drivers perform good and for making the great drivers perform good. They "level" the performance out taking out the great and the bad.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Was that to try it with all those aids switched off ?
    Tiff Needell is well known on the UK TV progs for screaming when the "aids" are preventing him from getting the most out of a car at various stages. He's also famous for switching them off - even when told not to - I think he's the only journalist who turned off the Enzo traction control while test drivning it at Maranello
    IMHO "aids" on a track are useful for letting the medicre drivers perform good and for making the great drivers perform good. They "level" the performance out taking out the great and the bad.
    Yes, I would drive it with the aids off for sure. But I wanted to try out the stability control and see how it worked. On top of that I havent had nearly enough seat time to know exactly what this car is going to do(how far the butt will step out, how much it understeers etc.) to drive it hard on a public road, which I probably will never try and dive a car close to 10/10th on any public road anyway.
    Yes, aids do not allow a driver to drive at 10/10th, most articles when the performance testing is being done the aids are off.
    Your right though aids are useful for inexperienced drivers (inexperience to the car or to driving on a track).

I think I agree with the original post here. You have a comapany who three years ago was known as an old persons car company and now with some Zeppelin and the new V-series has totally reshaped their image (and honestly thanks to the success of the Escalade among rappers and celebrities) that is very very hard to do. Yet they have done it. Hats off to them, I even think they are giving BMW and Mercedes a run for their money.

I would also agree with JCP123 on this one. Although I always liked Caddy's new styling. Also with the V-Series' added performance Caddy is now battling with the likes of BMW and Mercedes.

Quote Originally Posted by aNOBLEman
    I would also agree with JCP123 on this one. Although I always liked Caddy's new styling. Also with the V-Series' added performance Caddy is now battling with the likes of BMW and Mercedes.
    i totally agree with you!

Isn't the Caddy's made in germany ??
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    I think they need a big sedan now, something along the lines of an S-class, A8, Jag XJ or 7-Series to really complete the prestige picture. And maybe a new Fleetwood for guys like me that want a soft, RWD, body-on-frame car like they made in the good ol days
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickHolden
    Isn't the Caddy's made in germany ??
    I think some are, and some parts too. The V6 in my dads '03 CTS is made in Germany (says it on cover), I dont know about the 04s though, they have a slightly different engine.

Thread Information