Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is an airbox?

What is an airbox?

Ive some people say they have a carbonfiber airbox...this case was a 04 clk.

is that the same as the intake or is it something else?

On the european golf gti mk5 theres one, and i think it does something to the power

the airbox is where the intake starts
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

By getting a better or getting rid of the airbox the engine produces more induction noise.

the airbox is just where the intake sources air from, in stock cars its jusually a black plastic box with a hole at one end for the air to come in, a filter to clean the air and the intake plumbing on the other side

plastic is not exactly a rigid material so it resonates when the engine is at high rpm, this wastes a bit of energy iirc, but the gains are so little from using a metal or cf box its really stupid, getting a high flow intake is a much better choice since it allows better breathing for comprable price

carbon fibre is really useless in most of the applications in aftermarket car parts we see today, the advantages of carbon fibre is that it's really strong and light, and you can change the weave to change the way the loads are going to be distributed

Quote Originally Posted by KnifeEdge_2K1
    the airbox is just where the intake sources air from, in stock cars its jusually a black plastic box with a hole at one end for the air to come in, a filter to clean the air and the intake plumbing on the other side

plastic is not exactly a rigid material so it resonates when the engine is at high rpm, this wastes a bit of energy iirc, but the gains are so little from using a metal or cf box its really stupid, getting a high flow intake is a much better choice since it allows better breathing for comprable price

carbon fibre is really useless in most of the applications in aftermarket car parts we see today, the advantages of carbon fibre is that it's really strong and light, and you can change the weave to change the way the loads are going to be distributed
    Thanks KnifeEdge

He missed the reason everyone uses it though: Looks.

what is a tire?
    My rides:
    1999 Mustang GT

1974 Ford Country Squire (for sale!)

1991 Jeep Cherokee

1970 Shelby GT500

Quote Originally Posted by Juggs
    what is a tire?
    a mis-spelling of tyre ??
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Actually, both spellings are fine... sorry... just being pedantic

Quote Originally Posted by fa22_raptor
    Actually, both spellings are fine... sorry... just being pedantic
    <pedant mode>
    Only valid if your American really.
    Not sure about you guys as you're influenced from both.

tyre is british ( aka original English ) spelling. The tyre was invented by a SCOT, so I suggest it shoudl be the one used as "correct"

tire is American ( aka simpler, less influenced by French and olde English ) spelling.

Both are only "fine" because most folks are used to reading international docuemnts/books/mags and have become accustomed to either.
    </pedant mode>

Correct spelling for international publications are always fun. I've been here fighting "corporate America" who dont' know how to spell 'signalling'
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 08-12-2005 at 10:29 AM.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

good old matra lol
    www.britishmods.co.uk

well i calls em tires cuz im from america and i dont know any better
    My rides:
    1999 Mustang GT

1974 Ford Country Squire (for sale!)

1991 Jeep Cherokee

1970 Shelby GT500

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    <pedant mode>
    Only valid if your American really.
    Not sure about you guys as you're influenced from both.

tyre is british ( aka original English ) spelling. The tyre was invented by a SCOT, so I suggest it shoudl be the one used as "correct"

tire is American ( aka simpler, less influenced by French and olde English ) spelling.

Both are only "fine" because most folks are used to reading international docuemnts/books/mags and have become accustomed to either.
    </pedant mode>

Correct spelling for international publications are always fun. I've been here fighting "corporate America" who dont' know how to spell 'signalling'
    Tire is a word, just not used correctly in this context. ¬_¬

Thread Information