Page 12 of 31 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Superbird

Quote Originally Posted by Fleet 500
    Actually, that's where I prefer the spare to be... in the little-used area over the rear axle housing.
    I don't like when they are put on the flat surface (the floor) because that's the most likely place where items will be put.
    Leyland P76 spare provides unimpeded access because it sits vertically within the rear guard, between rear wheelhousing & tail light
    In any case, it is rated at 20 cubic feet; the Dart's trunk is rated at 17.3.
    20 cubic feet .. is that all?

Although a much smaller car externally, Leyland P76 boot capacity is 36 cubic feet!

This compares to 1972-78 Falcon sedan boots which hold 27.6 cu/ft

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    but that is the least accessible area in case you need the spare. My 205x15 spare sits underneath the trunk. Makes life much easier....
    Having changed tires several times, I just pull the 235x15 spare out of the trunk when I need it, even if I have to climb into the trunk to get. It's really no big deal. Maybe if the trunk was fully loaded it would be a pain, but it is usually almost empty.

Does the vehicle's ground clearance decrease when the spare is under the trunk?
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

Quote Originally Posted by nota
    Leyland P76 spare provides unimpeded access because it sits vertically within the rear guard, between rear wheelhousing & tail light

20 cubic feet .. is that all?

Although a much smaller car externally, Leyland P76 boot capacity is 36 cubic feet!

This compares to 1972-78 Falcon sedan boots which hold 27.6 cu/ft
    Yes, many 1950s American cars mounted the spare as you described.

Obviously, it's a different way of measuring... a '69 Cadillac, which has about 60 inches of rear overhang, is not going to have 16 less cu-ft of luggage space, unless it's being compared to a hatchback with the rear seat folded down.

..... My 205x15 spare sits underneath the trunk. Makes life much easier....
    Ever have issues with the spare not coming free? With both my old Plymouth Voyager and current Ford Windstar (actually most minivans), the spare mounted outside, under the car they are prone to getting stuck due to road grime, salt, rust etc.

I have spent 20-30 minutes trying to get the spare free just to resolve myself to walk 20 minutes to a service station and buying a can of "Inflate-a-flat". The only advantage I see to this location is the ability to keep a full-size spare available.

Quote Originally Posted by NoOne
    Ever have issues with the spare not coming free? With both my old Plymouth Voyager and current Ford Windstar (actually most minivans), the spare mounted outside, under the car they are prone to getting stuck due to road grime, salt, rust etc.

I have spent 20-30 minutes trying to get the spare free just to resolve myself to walk 20 minutes to a service station and buying a can of "Inflate-a-flat". The only advantage I see to this location is the ability to keep a full-size spare available.

I would rather have to deal with that than the spare location in my 2000 Mustang. under the trunk floor. No, not on the underside of the car. Under a false panel in the trunk. i have to remove almost everything from the luggage compartment to get at the bugger. Much rather have the spare underneath or to the side of the coompartment or in the back of it..but in a little car like the Mustang where else can it go?
    Cougar. Impala. Road Runner. Mustang. Barracuda. Marlin. Cobra. Wildcat. Falcon. Hornet. Tiger. Jaguar. Colt. Bronco. Viper. Bagheera. Gremlin. Stingray. Firebird. Pinto. Thunderbird. Eagle. Skylark.

Protect the Wildlife. Don't crush them, restore them.

After researching, I have found the figure of 19.7 cubic feet the capacity for a Leyland P76.

Does the vehicle's ground clearance decrease when the spare is under the trunk?
    With hydropneumatic suspension ground clearence remains the same, even if the trunk is fully loaded
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

With hydropneumatic suspension ground clearence remains the same, even if the trunk is fully loaded
    That's right... I forgot about that.
    It's no problem with my Fleetwoods, too, since they have automatic level control, which can accomodate weight up to 1,100 lbs (1,550 lbs for the limo).

After researching, I have found the figure of 19.7 cubic feet the capacity for a Leyland P76.
    Dunno the 'rated' system method but here's web validation for 36 cu/ft capacity
    http://www.autoguide.com.au/news.asp...cs_and_Exotics

http://www.austin-rover.co.uk/
    Index>Leyland P76>Leyland P76

Falcon 27.6 cu/ft
    http://www.geocities.com/falconfacts.../xbfalcon.html

1st pic: note boot depth, bootline = shoulder height of seated adult
    2 & 3: 52 US-gallon drum fits easily
    Attached Images Attached Images

Dunno the 'rated' system method but here's web validation for 36 cu/ft capacity

Falcon 27.6 cu/ft

1st pic: note boot depth, bootline = shoulder height of seated adult
    2 & 3: 52 US-gallon drum fits easily
    Here's validation for the 19.7 cu ft figure...
    http://www.users.bigpond.com/jimjarron/force_7.html

(4th paragraph from the top.)

Your figures must be using a different system... no way can it be 16 cu ft bigger than a Cadillac with a 60 inch rear overhang (from the rear axle and back).

The U.S. used a different system, too. Back in the '50s and early '60s, there were figures quoted in the 30s (cubic feet) until a revised system lowered it to the low 20s.

The photo of those four in the trunk... they would have a lot more room in my '69 Fleetwood!

find a drag strip and see how fast you can go down the 1/4 mile with your Superbid or find a race track and go around the race track 3 to 5 times and see if you can get to 200mph with your Superbird.
    [FLASH] WHAT YOU THINK, YOU SEEN, YOU NEVER SAW HAVE NICE DAY [FLASH] MIB AND MIB2 ROCKS SORRY I HAVE TO NERLIZE YOU AGAIN [FASH]

Your figures must be using a different system... no way can it be 16 cu ft bigger than a Cadillac with a 60 inch rear overhang (from the rear axle and back).
    Possibly but remember that if it were 50% taller then it can be a lot shorter to match
    The U.S. used a different system, too. Back in the '50s and early '60s, there were figures quoted in the 30s (cubic feet) until a revised system lowered it to the low 20s.
    yeah, some manufacturers (in all regions) used to quote the mathematical volume of the boot/trunk. Others would quote the "fit square boxes" volume.
    The photo of those four in the trunk... they would have a lot more room in my '69 Fleetwood!
    Yeah but would be lying down
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

yo nota this is a Plymouth road runner superbird pic
    [FLASH] WHAT YOU THINK, YOU SEEN, YOU NEVER SAW HAVE NICE DAY [FLASH] MIB AND MIB2 ROCKS SORRY I HAVE TO NERLIZE YOU AGAIN [FASH]

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Possibly but remember that if it were 50% taller then it can be a lot shorter to match

yeah, some manufacturers (in all regions) used to quote the mathematical volume of the boot/trunk. Others would quote the "fit square boxes" volume.

Yeah but would be lying down
    It's still impossible for it to have 36-cubic-feet of space. I've seen the photos... the rear overhang is about the same as on a mid-'60s Chevy Chevelle or Buick Skylark. The 19.7-cu-ft figure I found seems about right.

I know... one would think there would be one system (that's accurate) that all the manufacterers and car mags would use. It would have helped a lot!

No, sitting up. Next time I'm with some Cadillac friends, I'll ask a few to sit in the trunk. I did that last night in the garage... I sat in the trunk on the right side and there was almost four feet of free space to the other side! Now, that's big!

Here's a photo of a '57 Dodge with 5 adult ladies in the trunk.
    No kid stuff here!

Thread Information