Thread: Mk2 cavalier shudders at 65mph+. Help pls

Mk2 cavalier shudders at 65mph+. Help pls

I have a problem with an L reg Mk2 Cavalier 1.8 GSL, hopefully you guys can help.

It shudders violently at 65mph+. Had the wheels alligned on three occasions in the last 3 months which helps for a while but the problem keeps coming back.

Does anyone know anything that could be causing this?

Or something specific I should ask the mechanics to check?

Thanks in advance
    All I want for christmas is a V8 Vantage...

Worn ball joint, wheel bearing, steering rack, stuck disk caliper, driveshaft, diff bearings.

Jack up each side and grasp the tyre at top and bottom and rock it as hard as you can. See if ANY movement from top or lower ball joint. Grip at sides and rock side to side and see if any movement in stay bars or track control arms. See if any movement in wheel bearing/hub.

Grasp the drive shft and push/pull up/down/left/right/in/out to see if any movement.

Are you still on the origianl wheels/tyres ?
    Get them checked for being balanced and not having any faults ( bulges in the carcase, odd wear patterns on the treads. Tell-tale sign if they have LARGE offset weights for the balance !!

You've something failry worrying if it's coming back and SOMEWHERE a mechanic is wasting your time and money with just aligning it each time.
    Get it to a more competent garage (ie NOT Kwik-Fit !!!
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Thanks for the help Matra.

Looks like it's time to my hands dirty. And yes, it's still on standard wheels and tyres.

keep it under the speed limit mate
    badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger

speed limit is 70 on the m'way here, but thanks for the concern

Quote Originally Posted by Bugarse
    Thanks for the help Matra.

Looks like it's time to my hands dirty. And yes, it's still on standard wheels and tyres.
    bo probs ...

.. and ah right, my question was wored wrong

I meant during all these wheel alignemnts have the tyres/wheels been changed/checked at all ? ( If htey have hten at least it suggests it's nto them. If they are the same then the finger points there first. Look for a distorted rim

Can you describe the wear pattern on both front tyres across the full width and circumference .......
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

They are the original wheels. It's not my car and as far as I know they haven't been checked for faults.

Recently put new front tyres on it as they were worn on the outside all around the circumferance (this was more likely to be because they were only inflated to about 29psi for quite a long time), but the problem remains the same.

Its serviced at an AA garage. I would say they are pretty competant but there are so many, the quality of service is bound to vary. What's your opinion of them generally?

Could be the U joints too, I had the problem last year damn chevys
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

erm, 29 psi would sound about right for a Vectra.
    If it was only slightly worn on the outside of both then they were probably about right.
    If it was worn a lot then they were right to check the alignment and presume that's when new tyres were fitted.
    Could be wheel bearing ( but frankly could be all the other things listed too )

Yeah, AA .... on a par with Kwik-Fit ... seldom do you find more than one time served mechanic and the rest are still learnign the trade doing night/day school Your mates dad might be lucky !! Its always worth readign all those certificates they post in the waiting rooms to see how many and WHO are trained to knwo what they're doing The alarm bells for me are ringing that these guys have aligned the wheels THREE times -- liek are they not trying to diagnose at all ???

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Yeah, AA .... on a par with Kwik-Fit ... seldom do you find more than one time served mechanic and the rest are still learnign the trade doing night/day school Your mates dad might be lucky !! Its always worth readign all those certificates they post in the waiting rooms to see how many and WHO are trained to knwo what they're doing The alarm bells for me are ringing that these guys have aligned the wheels THREE times -- liek are they not trying to diagnose at all ???
    DIY or independent all the way
    www.crash.net/motoring/roadcars/news/home/

They did look underinflated at 29 and the garage said to put about 31 psi in them.

I'm slightly confused by your last post. You say the pressure sounds right for a vectra but it's a cavalier. I know they are pretty much the same but could this be the reason for the higher pressure they advise?

"Your mates dad might be lucky !!" <--- I was also wondering what you meant by this.

Thanks for the advice on the AA. I'll have a look for a local garage with a few more "grey-haired" mechanics with a bit more experiance.

They did look underinflated at 29 and the garage said to put about 31 psi in them.

I'm slightly confused by your last post. You say the pressure sounds right for a vectra but it's a cavalier. I know they are pretty much the same but could this be the reason for the higher pressure they advise?
    Sorry I meant Cav ... I was having a "senior moment"
    Have him check the manual.
    But actually the extra 2 psi isn't that significant, teh GLS Cav never had any particularly low profile tyres.
    "Your mates dad might be lucky !!" <--- I was also wondering what you meant by this.
    His AA service centre might have some decent mechanics who are fully time served and experienced ---- woops just heard a pig fly by

It seems you're under the impression that it's my mates dads car and thats what 's confusing me. It's actually my mums car. Maybe you had another one of those "senior moments" you mentioned...

It seems you're under the impression that it's my mates dads car and thats what 's confusing me. It's actually my mums car. Maybe you had another one of those "senior moments" you mentioned...
    Mixing up two diagnostic services --- the Dodge Caravan

Yeah doing too many things at the same time ( I'm on line with Project Manager in Houston -- hmm I could get him to go over and kick Ali-Baba's arse couldnt' I ) was switchign back and forward.

Sorry for the confusion !!!! Yeah def "senior moments"

I see. You are being successful(not losing money(not unsuccessful(Jimbonski gambaroon) haha

Just get the guy to confiscate Ali-Babas keyboard... That'll torture him!

Thread Information