Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Old days vs new

You know..its not as if all the cars you originally listed just disappeared off the face of the planet. Your probably in a better position financially to buy one now than you were when they were new. Quit complaining...
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by QBridge
    The STi while it might be fast from 0-60 doesn't really have a high top speed and it cant put out a lot of hp.
    And when are you likely to be going 150mph+?

The VQ30DE sucks because it blows. I heard from soo many people about how the engines blew. It's clearly a cheaply made engine since Nissan uses it in every single car they make and they use it in every single car to keep costs down. 400hp turbocharged with a stock engine is not good enough. And how is that the old 300zx can make 600hp with a stock engine and the 350z which is new cant? Not only that but the 350z weighs more than the 300zx.
    Who were these people? Any engine will blow if you treat it bad.

The VQ in the 350Z makes similar power NA than the TT VG did in the 300ZX.

The Supra does 9sec in the quarter mile pretty much stock.
    BAHAHAHAHAHA

Like I said before. The Supra is the quarter mile mercenary and that is no fanboi fairy tale.
    Theres more to life than the quarter mile
    I am the Stig

Quote of the day...!
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

the VQ30DE sucks because it blows. I heard from soo many people about how the engines blew. It's clearly a cheaply made engine since Nissan uses it in every single car they make and they use it in every single car to keep costs down.
    the VQ35De in the 350Z keeps blowing because people keep putting Greddy turbo kits on them which haven't synchronised with the fuel management. So of course it will blow. Google APS for how it's done reliably.

A Cobra sounds nice but the Supra is a decade old car that still beats it. The Supra does 9sec in the quarter mile pretty much stock.
    Like I said before. The Supra is the quarter mile mercenary and that is no fanboi fairy tale.
    LMAO
    you'll be lucky to get a 9sec quarter out of a supra at all. They're dyno queens, they don't get sufficient traction hence their times don't reflect the horespower they make. A cobra will be faster, for cheaper in the US too.
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

The STi while it might be fast from 0-60 doesn't really have a high top speed and it cant put out a lot of hp. And since it's AWD like the EVO it loses a lot of power at the wheels and it's quite slow in the quarter mile. The AMS Evo is a ONE OF A KIND car and the engine in that car is anything but stock and it has some 900hp and it does the quater mile in about 9sec which is damn slow for the power. Imagine all the money that went in that Evo just to be able to put up 9secs. Imagine that the drivetrain in that Evo is not going to last long. A RWD car would be faster in the quarter mile with the same power.
    The evo drivetrain will not last long your right but with the power from the factory there proven beasts. Also theres to AMS evos and ones been smoked by 2 bikes and a 700rwhp notch back mustang. Who cares about top speed where will you use it? A low 13 second cars is not slow by any mean.

The VQ30DE sucks because it blows. I heard from soo many people about how the engines blew. It's clearly a cheaply made engine since Nissan uses it in every single car they make and they use it in every single car to keep costs down. 400hp turbocharged with a stock engine is not good enough. And how is that the old 300zx can make 600hp with a stock engine and the 350z which is new cant? Not only that but the 350z weighs more than the 300zx.
    Theres a couple turbo 350Z making 600hp at the crank but only a couple.

A Cobra sounds nice but the Supra is a decade old car that still beats it. The Supra does 9sec in the quarter mile pretty much stock.
    Are you kidding me no it doesnt. Theres many fast supras because parts are more aviable but cobras are up there in 1/4 times and lets face it the Cobra has something the supra doesnt have torque. I mean have you ever seen a supra lift the front tires.

This is only after you put about 20grand into the car working the suspension and working over the engine.
    Last edited by rev440; 06-28-2006 at 09:17 AM.
    UCP biggest mustang lover

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer
    Quote of the day...!
    AHAHAHAHAHAH, Brilliant!

You know..its not as if all the cars you originally listed just disappeared off the face of the planet. Your probably in a better position financially to buy one now than you were when they were new. Quit complaining...
    I was thinking the exact same thing. But also, build quality and safety is higher than before by and large. There are some exceptions, particularly outside the sportscar/performance car range, but cars are better now than ever before, and I like old cars. I will agree that the 90's saw some cool cars, expecially from Japan. The MkI GTi was a great car, and VW is still trying to bring their GTi back to what is was after that period of overweight bloat in the late 90's. I wish I could comment on Pugs, but we just don't get them here.
    I only have one friend who is serious enough into drag racing to actually do it in a competitive environment. Straight line racing just isn't a good measure of a car, and IMHO its boring as hell. Its kind of like automotive masturbation if you ask me. Sure, AWD causes a power loss, but also gets the power to the ground in the less than ideal circumstances most people buy cars to drive in. The STi and EVO are impressive machines as they come from the factory. The MR2, 3000 GT, 300ZX, Rx7 MkIII, GTi, all these cars, I would toss in the Porsche 968 with the 6-speed, vette ZR1, they were good cars but they stood out particularly because the rest of the car world sucked so bad! All these cars depreciate, none are really "collectible". Go buy one for 5-15K and enjoy it.

Thread Information