Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Best American Cars Ever

Quote Originally Posted by F1_Master
    They're opinions. Because some reviewers didn't like the seating or whatever, does not mean everyone won't like it.
    when they talk about quality it is normally the build quality that is being referred to. I trust that you have read quite a few European magazines to build your opinion on...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    Ever?

Duesenberg SSJ
    Hadn't thought of that, well said
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

They're opinions. Because some reviewers didn't like the seating or whatever, does not mean everyone won't like it.

EDIT: Example, a recent test for the XLR-V against 4 other cars claimed its a cramped space. I've sat in it, and I don't find myself cramped at all.
    Quality has nothing to do with seating position. Quality is them spending very little money on putting a car together and using cheap materials. It makes them feel tacky, makes them unreliable and generally makes them a bitch to own. When a car marketed as a Porsche beater has an interior comparable to the same companies budget cars, you know that quality is awful or the brand is good. Unless the Dodge Neon is a motoring masterpiece, the former applies here.

Edit:

Nuff said?

Build quality perhaps, but I still find some of that comes down to the owner when parts fail.

I still say, keep any car in good condition, and it can run much longer than the manufacturer expects it too.
    2007 Acura TL Type-S (AEM V2, R-V6 Race/J-Pipe, ATLP Quad Exhaust)
    2011 BMW 328i Coupe

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer
    Hadn't thought of that
    very few people here actually do...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by :Exige:
    Quality has nothing to do with seating position. Quality is them spending very little money on putting a car together and using cheap materials. It makes them feel tacky, makes them unreliable and generally makes them a bitch to own. When a car marketed as a Porsche beater has an interior comparable to the same companies budget cars, you know that quality is awful or the brand is good. Unless the Dodge Neon is a motoring masterpiece, the former applies here.
    Ok, so you're going to tell me all American cars are like this, and absolutely no European cars are built cheaply, unreliable, and a "Bitch to own?"
    2007 Acura TL Type-S (AEM V2, R-V6 Race/J-Pipe, ATLP Quad Exhaust)
    2011 BMW 328i Coupe

Ok, so you're going to tell me all American cars are like this, and absolutely no European cars are built cheaply, unreliable, and a "Bitch to own?"
    no Europe builds lousy cars too, but if aimed at the same market segment, quality on average might be better. Nobody though beats the Japanese in reliability which is also a quality aspect.

1. Dodge Viper (all years)
    2. Corvette (all years expecially recently)
    3. Ford GT
    5. Saleen S7

Vette and the Viper have a great price per fun ratio. There also very reliable and can keep up with cars twice as expensive on the roadcourse and in the 1/4 mile.
    97 Viper GTS
    93 Dodge Viper (Sold)
    My Videos http://www.youtube.com/early93viper

Quote Originally Posted by :Exige:
    I have a lot of buddies with europeon cars. F-cars, L-cars, etc. As well as a lot of buddies with American cars (Viper, Corvettes, etc.). And no matter what anyone tells you the American cars are MORE RELIABLE than the Europeon cars.

Example:

I have a buddy with a 355. He bought it in great condition. With all services up to date. So far he has owned it for three months and has spent $15,000 in repair bills on it. The longest it has ran without being in the shop is around three days! He is now looking for a Viper

Now this is not a rare acurance. This seems to happen a lot with my F-car buddies. Most of them will admit that there cars are far from realiable.

Another Example:
    We had a big Viper Club get together with over 100 members attending. We all drove a factory provided SRT-10 on the autocross course 3 times this was non-stop hard driving for 8 hours in 90 degree heat. The car ran perfectly even after that kind of abuse.

Now I understand what magazine say. But I am with the owners all the time and let me tell you this. If you own a Ferrari or a Lamborghini you better have some deep pockets to fix them. Along with a lot of patience.
    97 Viper GTS
    93 Dodge Viper (Sold)
    My Videos http://www.youtube.com/early93viper

Quote Originally Posted by early93viper
    I have a lot of buddies with europeon cars. F-cars, L-cars, etc. As well as a lot of buddies with American cars (Viper, Corvettes, etc.). And no matter what anyone tells you the American cars are MORE RELIABLE than the Europeon cars.
    Not really comparing apples with apples though, is it? I think the thing about reliability was probably less relevant to the highly strung Italian supercars, don't you?

For what it's worth, this thread probably needs locking now. I think it's fair to say we can all see where this is going.

EDIT: A a bit more on topic, I quite fancy a C6 vette, not the Z06 though, cos it would be a daily driver. Other than that? C3 vette, some of the old muscle cars, the esperante, the usual stuff really. Oh, and the new mustang. Would love one of those in RHD, if only they made em (V8, natch).
    Last edited by VtecMini; 07-03-2006 at 01:45 PM.

no Europe builds lousy cars too, but if aimed at the same market segment, quality on average might be better. Nobody though beats the Japanese in reliability which is also a quality aspect.
    In the late 90's it was impossable to find a toyota with the same engine and to even find engines for the cars because all of them were sold. The Ferraris are very expensive to have maintaned but the newer L-cars such as the Gallardo is a cheaper exotic. The vette has always been a mind level sports car which will walk all over Porsches. Have you ever seen how many problems they have with BMW and Benzs come on.

My list is
    Ford GT
    Mustang Cobra
    C5 Z06
    UCP biggest mustang lover

Quote Originally Posted by rev440
    In the late 90's it was impossable to find a toyota with the same engine and to even find engines for the cars because all of them were sold. The Ferraris are very expensive to have maintaned but the newer L-cars such as the Gallardo is a cheaper exotic. The vette has always been a mind level sports car which will walk all over Porsches. Have you ever seen how many problems they have with BMW and Benzs come on.

My list is
    Ford GT
    Mustang Cobra
    C5 Z06
    not the c6? just curious what it is the c5 has that makes you like it better. And i disagree about the toyota engine thing, i think you embellishing you can find toyota cars from that time with the same engine origionally these days, so i dont see why you couldnt then.
    You can call me scott.

very few people here actually do...
    And it's really a shame. Other favourites of mine are the front driven Cords and the Chrysler Airflow. Now that's boldness and not the rubbish Ford is advertising...
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer
    And it's really a shame. Other favourites of mine are the front driven Cords and the Chrysler Airflow. Now that's boldness and not the rubbish Ford is advertising...
    let's add the Tucker too...

let's add the Tucker too...
    Yes that's definitely got to be in as well.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information