Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Best American Cars Ever

Quote Originally Posted by taz_rocks_miami
    Shelby AC Cobra
    That's technically british...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by F1_Master
    As much as I love Lamborghini, you make a terrific point. A big downfall is the clutchs in the cars. They have to be handled carefully, otherwise, you just screw 'em over, and then you're looking at nice bill. Most cars at the dealer here that have had "serious" problems have usually been the clutch.
    I've heard the same. It seems that often the mechanics will have to drop out the engine and transmission just to get access to the clutch. If the labour bill for that doesn't sound bad enough, just wait 'til you see the price of a replacement clutch!

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Nog
    I've heard the same. It seems that often the mechanics will have to drop out the engine and transmission just to get access to the clutch. If the labour bill for that doesn't sound bad enough, just wait 'til you see the price of a replacement clutch!
    so what does this have to do with the best US car ever????????
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer
    That's technically british...
    The original body and chasis yes, the running gear is pure American.
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

Quote Originally Posted by taz_rocks_miami
    The original body and chasis yes, the running gear is pure American.
    What about this then?

Or this?

(Though the original V8-fitted Griffith was built an American? I can't remember)
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

My favourite one....

Last edited by Brini; 07-05-2006 at 04:28 AM. Reason: fergot Title

My favourite are (not "the best", but "my favourite")
    1. Cadillac Sixteen (the new one)
    2. Saleen S7
    3. Panoz GTR-1
    Write five of your favourite cars in your signature.
    1. Ascari KZ1 2. Maybach Exelero 3. Pininfarina Birdcage
    4. Aston Martin DB9 5. BMW M6
    My ride: '97 Kia Sportage

The new Z06 is an amazing car. It will perform as well as anything under 100,000 on 95% of tracks and roads. It will lap within seconds of supercars costing 4 or 5 times as much on most tracks. The interiors not up to ferrari quality, but there's no reason it should be. And it get 30 mpg. If you want to tell me a Lotus or a Porsche is better because its not built by GM, your head's not screwed on straight. A Lotus is better at some thing, and a Porsche is, but show some respect for a machine that will perform better than both as a daily driver and will perform better on the track (excluding the expensive porsches)

Quote Originally Posted by Bob
    Lotus is better at some thing, and a Porsche is, but show some respect for a machine that will perform better than both as a daily driver and will perform better on the track (excluding the expensive porsches)
    The Z06 has been panned for its ride, which (for me) is a major part of how good a daily driver a car is. And a 911 or Lotus will have better ride. Plus, I don't care about lap times, I'd care more about being able to rip through a corner at full noise cleanly than slide through sideways smoking the tyres and then floor it up to the next corner
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen
    The Z06 has been panned for its ride, which (for me) is a major part of how good a daily driver a car is. And a 911 or Lotus will have better ride. Plus, I don't care about lap times, I'd care more about being able to rip through a corner at full noise cleanly than slide through sideways smoking the tyres and then floor it up to the next corner
    A base 911 maybe, but an Elise, haha yeah right.
    The only review that says the Z06's ride it too harsh is TopGear, which says alot (take what they say with a BIG grain of salt).

Interesting question and responses. The new Vette is a great car for the money, and is still a great car price nonetheless. It seems like many have a difficult time believing mass car makers in the US can build something worthwhile, but it is clearly true. Beyond the unique or the exotic car a big 2/3 make, there is still quality in the main lines offerred. Don't ask me to back this up, because frankly I can't! I don't have any US car driving experience, really.

I like the new vette, and I loved the last Ford GT. I don't care for the Viper; I think its ugly and overdone. But, looking back, the US has made some real winners. I'm a little buzzed right now otherwise I'd opine on it a bit more. Maybe I'll come back to it tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Slicks
    A base 911 maybe, but an Elise, haha yeah right.
    The Elise has a very good ride quality, bearing in mind the nature of its intent. It's one of the key things that makes the Elise so good.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndclasscitizen
    Plus, I don't care about lap times, I'd care more about being able to rip through a corner at full noise cleanly than slide through sideways smoking the tyres and then floor it up to the next corner
    Spoken by someone with no or very little track time. Sliding sideways through a corner isn't going to be faster I don't care what car you drive. (At least as long as your on asphalt)

I track my viper a lot and can say you need to be smoother with the viper then any Elise. If your not smooth with the Viper it will bite you; while you can man-handle an Elise through the twisties. While I am on the track I am always able to manage to be smooth enough to wave at Elises as I pass them.
    97 Viper GTS
    93 Dodge Viper (Sold)
    My Videos http://www.youtube.com/early93viper

"That's the first time I've been unhappy to have a bird on my face."

-Jenson Button after having a bird hit him during a preseason practice

Quote Originally Posted by VtecMini
    The Elise has a very good ride quality, bearing in mind the nature of its intent. It's one of the key things that makes the Elise so good.
    Ive never read that the Elise has anything but a harsh ride, bad enough that you couldnt live daily with.

Thread Information