Thread: Painting My Brake Calipers

Painting My Brake Calipers

Hey so the other day i was thinking I should do something to my 2003 G35 to make it stand out a bit. I have stock rims and calipers but I want to paint the calipers a goldish color. I think that would match the paint well but I don't want to take my calipers off to paint them because thats far too much work and I don't want to mess up a car as nice as my G35 because i am a 17 year old noob! So i was wondering if I could paint my calipers with them on the rotors if I mask everything off really good. Has anyone ever tried this yet? Any advice besides the don't do this it look rice, especially on a stocker. Keep in mind i'm not going Red! i'm doing a goldish silver mix. Thanks guys
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

You'd be wasting your time if you don't take them off. There is going to be overspray everywhere even if you think you masked it off good. It'd also be tough to get all the spots on the calipers with them still on the car.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

Keep in mind that they get hot. Look around for heat resistant paint as well.
    "Horsepower sells motor cars, but torque wins motor races."
    -Carrol Shelby

Don't be this guy.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Quote Originally Posted by Quiggs View Post
    Don't be this guy.
    haha nice pict

i need to do the same. calipers and drums need paintin!! im gona go for black.

you can get away with normal body paint but for a long lasting finish and if you enjoy heavy braking, i would get some heat resistant paint.

if your lucky enough there maybe enough slack in thr brake hose to allow you to keep brake lines connected but free the caliper from the upright.

Quote Originally Posted by jugga View Post
    haha nice pict

i need to do the same. calipers and drums need paintin!! im gona go for black.

you can get away with normal body paint but for a long lasting finish and if you enjoy heavy braking, i would get some heat resistant paint.

if your lucky enough there maybe enough slack in thr brake hose to allow you to keep brake lines connected but free the caliper from the upright.
    Yep, the heat resistant paint is a must for the calipers. There should be enough brake hose to take the calipers off, the wheels have to turn so there has to be slack.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

If you paint the rotors, shouldn't some hard braking rub the paint off? (not something i wanna try) I gotta go look up some heat resistant paint at auto zone or something now!
    Gone:
    09 Ducati Monster 696
    09 Audi Q5 3.2
    03 Infiniti G35 Sedan
    07 Honda Civic Coupe LX 5spd

Current:
    10 BMW 335d
    12 Audi Q5 2.0t
    10 VW Jetta TDI
    11 Ducati Monster 796

Don't know how good your painting or mechicanical skillz are, Duplicolor has a brush on system, but it only comes in 5 colors.

High Perf Caliper Paint Kit
    "There is no doubt about when people began racing automobiles. It was the day they made the second one." - Richard Petty

All Throttle, No Bottle

Quote Originally Posted by coolieman1220 View Post
    If you paint the rotors, shouldn't some hard braking rub the paint off? (not something i wanna try) I gotta go look up some heat resistant paint at auto zone or something now!
    If it's not heat resistant, it will flake off.

Over here there are special paints for sale to paint them. They are heat resistant and everything and are the only proper thing to use. As goes for every part you want to paint, take it off. The overspray will always get onto something else, that is if you spray it. Taking the brake calipers of is not very difficult. I suggest you head of to a local garage and ask if you can look when they do it on a car. Then take your garage manual and look for step-by-step instructions on doing it. For almost all car, there is something like that. A club can get you started with that probably. The club I am very active in, regularly has meetings especially to work on cars in someone's garage. It's great to be working on all cars with a few people. The things you cannot do yourself, somebody else can always. With some sponsorship, parts are really cheap also for us.
    Last edited by drakkie; 05-04-2008 at 03:09 AM.

Thread Information