Page 10 of 14 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: This forum is dying

Quote Originally Posted by jcp123 View Post
    Pretty sure we'll hit Toronto up. My wife has been there a few times when she lived in Lockport and says it's still one of her fav places to visit.
    Good for a visit....just annoying to live like any other city....
    University of Toronto Formula SAE Alumni 2003-2007
    Formula Student Championship 2003, 2005, 2006
    www.fsae.utoronto.ca

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    Hablo espanol? Me no hablo catalano.

And I know you speak Spanish. How little per day?
    Very little.

Mostly to Spanish people in the office/clients on weekdays.

Everything else is Catalan, spoken and written.

EDIT Yesterday even a colleague from Madrid spoke Catalan, and another colleague from Madrid as well has asked me to speak to her in Catalan sometime. The funny thing is I'm most known for my English antics in the office. If there's something INTL going I'm most probably in.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

How about a good political or religious argument to liven things up.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    and another colleague from Madrid as well has asked me to speak to her in Catalan sometime.
    That means she wants sexy times.

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    That means she wants sexy times.
    Hope not since she could technically be my mother...
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    Hope not since she could technically be my mother...

No problem bro. I saw a woman who had a stepson/granddaughter two days ago. I think she was in her late 40s/early 50s.

A few weeks ago, I talked with the most beautiful 50+ YO woman I have ever seen in person. She was also extremely friendly, intelligent, and engaging...

Both were in relationships.

Californian by nature, living in Teggsas.
    Quote Originally Posted by crisis View Post
    How about a good political or religious argument to liven things up.
    I am an atheist (small l) libertarian. I think gay marriage is good, I love to pollute, I am against the death penalty, and for the right to bear arms. Drugs should be decriminalized; pot legalized (pot is not a drug, unless you are like me and classify alcohol as a drug as well). I don't like the state snooping on my conversations and believe in the idea of speaking softly but carrying a big stick. The state should not be able to tell me what to eat or drink, what light bulbs to use, or how many gallons per flush my toilet needs to be. If there are energy reserves available, they should be tapped. Separation of church and state is critical to a fair and stable society and government. Let the flames begin.
    Last edited by jcp123; 03-27-2013 at 07:08 PM.
    An it harm none, do as ye will

Approximately 79% of statistics are made up.

If there are energy reserves available, they should be tapped.
    Do you like high energy prices or something? Because if we keep going all out on fracking and deepwater drilling that's what you're going to see in the future.

I kinda like the idea that building regulations should require some level of energy efficiency built in, and even things like solar panels on the roof etc. Especially in the Aussie climate. Things are built cheaply with the thought that you just leave the air-con on all the time, so then when there's a really hot day there's rolling brown outs because the power grid can't cope. My mum's house is from 1915 and they barely have their air-con on at all because the place just stays cool so well. And they have solar panels to run it anyway.

In short, free market good, but I don't trust people enough to think that we'll end up in a good place. Some regulation also good, as long as it's not stupid.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

That's the US' problem. Most of the regulations we have are not in and of themselves too bad, but are so convoluted and poorly written that the actual compliance process is a nightmare.

My hunch? The politicians who write these laws are looking forward to a possible post-legislator career cashing fat checks helping companies navigate the laws they wrote.

That's the US' problem. Most of the regulations we have are not in and of themselves too bad, but are so convoluted and poorly written that the actual compliance process is a nightmare.
    Alt energy infrastructure is pretty messed up. Lawmakers are jumping the gun on it and it produces a negative energy and carbon output; which is defeating the whole purpose.

Carbon credits (or the "carbon tax" as some put it) might work to reduce emissions and boost capital if there is enough liquidity for it... if.

What really needs to be done is nations need to stop trying to grow so damn fast. It's not helping anything...

Emissions standards are one thing. It's another when much of the offshoring is going to countries who don't give a hoot about it. So in essence a lot of developing countries are the vacuum pulling in factories and economic activity from the rich world which would otherwise be more-regulated. Look at Beijing's air quality.

Having said that, it is obviously more complex then that. Some offshoring will happen regardless as companies try to position themselves closer to the new end-users in developing countries. A lot of other offshoring is slowing down as corporations realize the hidden costs of long logistical lines and long lines of communication, and rising wages eroding that cost advantage. Further, much production is becoming more and more automated making labour costs advantages less, well, advantageous anyway. It will neither fully reverse itself, nor will it be quick as massive investments overseas won't be instantly abandoned.
    Last edited by jcp123; 03-27-2013 at 08:43 PM.

It's another when much of the offshoring is going to countries who don't give a hoot about it. So in essence a lot of developing countries are the vacuum pulling in factories and economic activity from the rich world which would otherwise be more-regulated.
    Because EM's can't afford alt energy nor do they give a shit about the environmental impact. They need coal and crude because it's cheaper at the moment and it will get their citizens into the middle-class. If the world would quit breeding like rabbits this wouldn't be an issue. [Oh, God don't me started on food prices..]

Ultra-long commodities.... that's all I'm saying.

Drugs should be decriminalized; pot legalized (pot is not a drug, unless you are like me and classify alcohol as a drug as well).
    Drugs (heroin, meth, cocaine, etc.) should not be legalized. Try it once and you're hooked and your life becomes a living hell. I'm on the fence for marijuana; at least for recreational use. For medical use doctors should be peddling pot over oxy and such for cancer patients and the such. Why give someone a dangerous drug for a dangerous disease? Just let them smoke a joint to relieve the pain than some pill (which is addictive) that can kill you just as easily as the ailment the patient is suffering from.

I love to pollute
    Yes!!

Not that long ago there was an ad on the telly which featured Pau Gasol (of Lakers fame) about saving the planet and how he went to his training sessions with the Lakers on a bicycle.

I'm sorry, but all this silly green malarkey has gotten up my nose. If I can afford it I want a big V8 with a big exhaust. I want people to choke on my exhaust gases and to get scared when they hear me coming, not go to work on a comunistical bycicle saving the planet because oh look at me how trendy and cool I am.

Mmmm I feel much better now, I needed to get it off my chest.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information