Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: This is a Safe Place

Shouldn't there only be two classes, P and GT?

I caught a bit too. The DPs are less weird than they used to be, but if it's not a Corvette, it is ugly.

As far as I was able grasp there was:
    • P Class: DPs and LMP2s
    • PC Class: Spec Series, Oreca chassis and SBCs
    • GTLM: "GT3-plus" cars, were all the factories (and proper racing) were
    • GTD: GT3 cars for wealthy amateurs and up-and-coming novices

In my opinion at least Daytona and Sebring should be open to FIA/ACO regulations.

And DPs are undoubtedly better than they used to be, but compared to LMP2s they are quite awful, and nevermind LMP1s and the factory efforts. Also it makes those otherwise perfectly fine events look a bit, you know, second rate...

I would even favour racing those LMP1s and works teams without scoring/blocking points for the US championship. Even outside the WEC, they would very probably attract entries from them as the US market is too important to be ignored.
    Last edited by Ferrer; 03-22-2015 at 08:35 AM.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    I was watching yesterday the Sebring 12h and although the racing was good (especially in the GT classes) it would've been so much better if the Americans used the proper racing classes instead of the ones that favour their cars.

Also the DPs are ugly and have the wrong proportions.
    I agree on both points. I don't get it either.
    Turning money into memories.

Apparently Cadillac is attempting their latest crack at the European market these days. In Spain they have recently unveiled the range they'll be selling here, through 7 dealers across the territory:
    • ATS 2.0T Saloon Automatic (both rear and four wheel drive)
    • ATS 2.0T Coupé Automatic (both rear and four wheel drive)
    • CTS 2.0T Saloon Automatic (both rear and four wheel drive)
    • SRX 3.6 V6 4WD Automatic
    • Escalade 6.2 4WD Automatic

Needless to say, they will sell none at all and will soon be retired from the market and we will then wait for Cadillac next ill-timed and ill-fated attempt at the European market.

But this is not the problem. The problem are the cars. Now, I'm sure that the new ATS and CTS are superb, but am I the only who doesn't see the point of small, taut, agile, four cylinder engined Cadillacs?

I guess that their thought is that if they copy the Germans then they will be able to fight them on their home turf. But they won't. Those who want a German premium car will not be bothered by a Cadillac and those who want a Cadillac do not want a tiny four cylinder car.

Bring back the land barges and pushrod V8s, apply modern technology, and call it a day!
    Visca Catalunya!

Bring back the land barges and pushrod V8s, apply modern technology, and call it a day!
    A land barge with decent suspension and cylinder deactivation?

Commodore.jpg.

I do agree though that Caddy ought to at least pretend to have the V6s and -V models over there, if only to drive attention to themselves in the press. 'ATS-V - M3 Killer?' headlines will at least let people know that the cars exists, even though the concluding lines will inevitably be 'solid effort, not quite up there with the Germans yet but they're getting closer'.
    Life's too short to drive bad cars.

I actually do not fancy the ATS-V very much, to be honest. I do not want another M4 look-alike, feel-alike fighter. I found the first and second gen CTS-V, in their luxury muscle car sort of mould, far more interesting.

Anyway.

Look a new Jaguar!

Oh god.
    Visca Catalunya!

I've just seen 15 or so laps of the Formula E Long Beach race. It is the worst form of motorsport I've ever seen:

• The cars are very slow
    • You get a drive through if you use too much power
    • Lack of noise is weird
    • They have to change cars half way through the race because they run out of juice
    • The grid seems to be full of failed F1 drivers
    Visca Catalunya!

I've been lately driving the Mercedes-Benz far too much and only recently got back in the Alfa Romeo.

German cars only work above 150km/h. And all other cars only work up to 150km/h.

Discuss.
    Visca Catalunya!

Canadian cars only work below 12 km/h. Zing.

I think there are a fair amount of long-legged American cars as well, though above 100 or so, things can get a little hairy, even without corners.
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

I've been lately driving the Mercedes-Benz far too much and only recently got back in the Alfa Romeo.

German cars only work above 150km/h. And all other cars only work up to 150km/h.

Discuss.
    If I drive that fast, my car will be seized and I will be fined $10,000. So above 150 km/h is a mystery to me.

The Benzos at work were buttoned up at high speed. Our Mazda needs another cog and about 40 more horsepower, among other things. So framing this from a European 1.4L perspective, I can see where you are coming from. I'd suspect the German cars more liable to have larger engines and be less thrashy and loud at the speed the government of Ontario equates driving at to domestic terrorism.

Quote Originally Posted by f6fhellcat13 View Post
    Canadian cars only work below 12 km/h. Zing.

I think there are a fair amount of long-legged American cars as well, though above 100 or so, things can get a little hairy, even without corners.
    Are you speaking to the crap quality of cars built in Canada you've driven, or how slow everyone drives?

It's not about the engine necessarily, once you are up to speed even the communist European versions can stay there easily.

It's about the poise, the connection and the confidence with which German car do those speeds.

The Merc feels cumbersome and sloppy at low speeds in the corners. At high speeds, though it feels planted and precise. The Alfa Romeo is the exact opposite.

By the way, 170km/h in a motorway here is just 300€ and 2 points off your license. Europe wins!
    Visca Catalunya!

Discuss.
    a neat way of saying that German cars are no longer useful in our modern world...
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

It's not about the engine necessarily, once you are up to speed even the communist European versions can stay there easily.
    Oh, for sure. I also was making oblique reference to road noise, wind noise, smoothness, blah blah the crap apparently only three luxury car companies from Germany can do.

Well, aren't Lexuses supposed to be at the top of the game when it comes to insulating you from the road?

I don't think they are the best at +120mph speeds though...
    Visca Catalunya!

BMW has finally lost the plot when it comes to naming schemes.
    Visca Catalunya!

Thread Information