Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First releases from Detroit including the all-new Ford GT ...

First releases from Detroit including the all-new Ford GT ...

Ford started off the 50th anniversary year of the breakthrough 1-2-3 victory at Le Mans quite spectacularly with the introduction of an all-new Ford GT. Built around a sophisticated carbon-fibre composite monocoque chassis, the striking machine is powered by a race-bred twin-turbo V6. The direct-injection engine displaces 3.5-litre and is the most powerful EcoBoost unit yet at over 600 bhp. To help keep the Ford GT on the road, it features a fully active aerodynamics package.
    Buick, meanwhile, introduced the Avenir Concept. The large four-door sedan is powered by a sophisticated, next-generation V6, mated to a nine-speed automatic gearbox.
    Mercedes-AMG have worked their magic on the newly introduced GLE model to create the GLE 6 Coupe. It boasts AMG's familiar twin-turbo V8, which in 'S' specification produces 576 bhp. It is mated to a 7-speed automatic gearbox and powers the Sport Utility Coupe to 100 km/h in just 4.2 seconds.
    At the Volkswagen stand a large SUV is also taking centre stage in the form of the Cross Coupe GTE Concept. It is powered by a hybrid drivetrain consisting of a direct-injection V6 and two electric motors, which together produce 355 bhp at full pelt. According to Volkswagen, the Cross Coupe GTE offers a look ahead to a new mid-size SUV production model.
    A full round-up from the North American International Auto Show will follow tomorrow.

Enjoy the links:

2015 Buick Avenir Concept - Images, Specifications and Information

2015 Ford GT - Images, Specifications and Information

2015 Mercedes-AMG GLE 63 S Coup - Images, Specifications and Information

2015 Volkswagen Cross Coup GTE Concept - Images, Specifications and Information
    If you should see a man walking down a crowded street talking aloud to himself, don't run in the opposite direction, but run towards him, because he's a poet. You have nothing to fear from the poet - but the truth.

(Ted Joans)

Not to say that car design is easy, but that Ford GT looks very much like a Lamborghini Asterion.

Still, I'd rather have a new GT than not to have one. I just wish Ford would give Lincoln some attention.

What I do not understand about the car is the reason why you wouldn't have a V8.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    What I do not understand about the car is the reason why you wouldn't have a V8.
    Wait, it's not a V8?

Why couldn't they stick the Coyote aluminum block in?

And I couldn't care less about the NSX until specifications come in.

Actually, scratch that, I've started to care less and less about cars I can't afford.

And the funny thing is that the fast Mustang has a bespoke, high-revving V8... :S

The NSX seems technically interesting but leaves me a little bit cold. A bit like the Nissan GT-R but with engine in the middle and some batteries.
    Visca Catalunya!

And the funny thing is that the fast Mustang has a bespoke, high-revving V8... :S

The NSX seems technically interesting but leaves me a little bit cold. A bit like the Nissan GT-R but with engine in the middle and some batteries.
    The NSX has been teased for so long I'm not interested in it anymore. It's similar to the Chevy Camaro. We've seen it in multiple forms as concepts, and then it gets put into Transformers. I don't care about them anymore.

I'm also annoyed that Acura has no enthusiast offerings, so they might as well be dead to me. If there was no Honda Fit or Accord, I'd renounce Honda already.

The new Beat isn't coming over here, nor is the Type R. I wouldn't want a turbo Type R anyway.

CAFE, EPA testing, and bad regulation. I'm not against regulation. I'm against dumb regulation that makes turbocharged engines seem like saints in the EPA test (which is flawed) and the stick (CAFE) as opposed to carrot (higher gas taxes) method to lower emissions.

Also, some green tech hype I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by NSXType-R View Post
    Wait, it's not a V8?

Why couldn't they stick the Coyote aluminum block in?
    CAFE, EPA testing, and bad regul... Oh. Yeah.

And I couldn't care less about the NSX until specifications come in.

Actually, scratch that, I've started to care less and less about cars I can't afford.
    Kill your idols; nothing is sacred.

There is a saying in hockey (and other, inferior sports I assume): play for the crest on the front, not the name on the back.

I modify this and apply it to cars. I don't have a strong love for any individual manufacturer. Some - on average - I prefer than others. What I most care about though, is the nameplate of the car, not the logo of the manufacturer.

If someone says your MkIII Supra is lame because it has a two ovals that form a T on the front, they are an idiot.

My favourite car may well be an F355, but there are tons of Ferraris I don't care much for.

GM has made some absolute dogs in their day, but also some incredibly awesome cars.

It's the nameplate, not the manufacturer that matters most to me.

That Mustang is pretty wicked. The Camaro will hit back very hard when it drops in the coming year. This is fun, ain't it!?

It isn't what an NSX once was, and this is once again an example of why it sucks when dead nameplates come back.

This new car may be good, but against some of its opposition, I don't have high hopes hopes. Like you both, I'm not very excited about it.

At least it looks coolish.

The NSX has been teased for so long I'm not interested in it anymore. It's similar to the Chevy Camaro. We've seen it in multiple forms as concepts, and then it gets put into Transformers. I don't care about them anymore.

I'm also annoyed that Acura has no enthusiast offerings, so they might as well be dead to me. If there was no Honda Fit or Accord, I'd renounce Honda already.

The new Beat isn't coming over here, nor is the Type R. I wouldn't want a turbo Type R anyway.
    Kill your idols. You will feel better when you free yourself from disappointment.

The big H isn't what it was, and that sucks, but that doesn't have to be bad. All going well, you will have the opportunity to own more than one car. One can be a shiny new manual Accord for commuting.

And the other can be a DC2 Integra.
    Last edited by Kitdy; 01-12-2015 at 08:08 PM.

Ford production car V8s will be going the way of the dodo.
    Turning money into memories.

This explains it all.

New Ford GT engine choice explained Sniff Petrol
    Quote Originally Posted by Rasmus View Post
    Ford production car V8s will be going the way of the dodo.
    I can't see a Mustang without a V8. Although on the other hand, the Raptor has also been Ecoboosted...
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    It isn't what an NSX once was, and this is once again an example of why it sucks when dead nameplates come back.
    Indeed. Why call it NSX if it isn't an NSX at all? But the the issue is even deeper that that because Honda used to make the purest sports/performance cars; i.e. high-revving normally aspirated engines, two wheel drive, manual gearboxes, relatively lightweight. This will be much, much faster than any past Honda but it is at the other end of the scale in terms oh philosophy. I don't know it feels strange.

(By the way, the original replacement for the NSX was supposed to be a front-mid engined car with a V8 engine derived from Honda's F1 programme based on the HSV-010, but the crisis killed it)
    Visca Catalunya!

This explains it all.

New Ford GT engine choice explained Sniff Petrol

I can't see a Mustang without a V8. Although on the other hand, the Raptor has also been Ecoboosted...
    I'm not going to lie; I laughed at that link.

To be completely honest, I don't mind the GT having a V6, and I'm looking very much forward to it. I grew up with I4s in hot hatches and rally cars, with the V6 typically being the slightly more powerful, high end engine model. I always loved the BMW I6 sound, and I had a thing for the XJ220, too. While I love the sound of a classic, crossplane crank V8, I don't particularly object to the sound of a modern V6, either.

If you're North American, however, you're used to domestic V6s always playing second fiddle to the V8s. In recent times, they've been the cheaper, less powerful option that gave you a lower insurance rate. The ones that were destined for lifeless, boring family cruisers or wannabe sports cars. In short, 'performance' and 'V6' went together like 'brothel' and 'monastery'.

It's going to be a tough tide to turn, but I, for one, welcome our boosted overlords.

Indeed. Why call it NSX if it isn't an NSX at all?[..]
    I agree completely. I still don't understand how the Dodge Charger can be called a Charger.

Oh, I'm on the same boat, anything that doesn't have an inline four is interesting and there are some properly good sounding, properly charismatic V6s (Jaguar's, Alfa Romeo's and VW's VR6 come to mind).

But this car is a supercar, is American and will have a price tag in the ballpark of 200 grand. A V6 from a Taurus seems... I don't know not enough.
    Visca Catalunya!

Yes, Alfa's 3.0 V6, the VR6 and R32 V6, and the Jags are brilliant engines.

I'm with you on it not really being American. It's not. It's more global than anything, but I'm still not that worried. The GT40 was always more British than American to me, anyway, and once I got over the turbodiesels at Le Mans, I realized I could get used to a lot of things.

Now, if they start putting a pushrod, crossplane V8 in the next Ferrari....

Indeed. Why call it NSX if it isn't an NSX at all? But the the issue is even deeper that that because Honda used to make the purest sports/performance cars; i.e. high-revving normally aspirated engines, two wheel drive, manual gearboxes, relatively lightweight. This will be much, much faster than any past Honda but it is at the other end of the scale in terms oh philosophy. I don't know it feels strange.

(By the way, the original replacement for the NSX was supposed to be a front-mid engined car with a V8 engine derived from Honda's F1 programme based on the HSV-010, but the crisis killed it)
    I still wonder what it could have been.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebEMJy4cznQ"]Honda HSV-010 RAYBRIG - Hondas next gen. NSX-GT - YouTube[/ame]

I think it would have been a great competitor to the Lexus LF-A had it debuted about the same time.

I think I'm more bothered that the NSX has too much hybrid technology than the nameplate. If it had been a pure sports car like the HSV or even the Lexus LF-A, I wouldn't have been as bothered.

It's the same thing as the Porsche 918- I would love to see a 918 with no batteries and motors, especially when they were capable of the Carrera GT. In a similar vein, I'd love to see a twin turbo NSX with no hybrid technology.

My problem with Honda is that there isn't anything interesting in the lineup. Toyota and Nissan all have something interesting, Honda doesn't.

I agree, perhaps the NSX nameplate should not have been reused.

The Ford GT not receiving a new V8 engine is stupid. There's no reason a new Mustang can be had with a V8 when a car that is likely 3x the price cannot have a V8.

Some engine sounds have been released from the Ford GT.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L38biKtECR8"]Ford GT - Start Up and Moving - YouTube[/ame]

Sounds very turbo diesel-ish to me.

Thread Information