View Poll Results: which do you prefer? English or Continental system?????

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • English

7 70.00%
  • Continental

3 30.00%
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Marital Property/Divorce, your opinion

Marital Property/Divorce, your opinion

In property class we are starting to study stuff about marital property and in the USA there are two competing rules.

1) Majority Common law rule (aka English system): which basically says husband and wife have separate property, ownership is given to the spouse who acquires the property. At divorce, husband takes what was originally his and stuff acquired during marriage is divided "equitably". But if one spouse dies before the other the one who dies first can give his/her property to whoever is in his will (not always the wife, estate tax must be paid).

2)Continental system, minority rule: only in a few states, all but two of which were originally Spanish or french colonies. this basically says the husband and wife are a marital partnership and should share assets equally. During marriage each partner has power over other partners property. In divorce all property is divided up equitably, and at one spouses death all property automatically goes to the other spouse no matter what is in the decedents will (this avoids a federal estate tax).

This is clearly a very basic definition of the two and there are tons of exceptions and stuff. But which one would you rather live under and why? And which one do you think is fairer? Also, out of curiosity if a wife and husband are married and one goes to medical school with the other one paying the bills in the mean time and 20 years after the person gets their degree should the person with the degree have to pay the other person the value of half that degree?
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

English, not saying all women are after money, but why should things that I worked to pay for belong to my spouse if we get divorced?

As to your question, that starts to get into a grey area of how bills are split, but I would tend to say that maybe it's not unreasonable for the spouse that paid the bills to want say, half of any of the bills he/she paid that they can find.
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

Excuse me whree are you geting the spec of this "English system" ????

Coz that ain't how it works in Britain - the home of "English system"
    Even an umarried couple who have lived together gain property rights through "common law" marriage.

Sounds liek the "US System" is well screwed

ANyone who doesn't liek the system can alwyas ask for a pre-nup !!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine View Post
    Excuse me whree are you geting the spec of this "English system" ????
    haha we do have some pretty screwy names for our legal rules. there are a few "minority rules" that are used in the vast majorities of jurisdictions
    A woman goes to the doctor to figure out why she is having breathing problems...The doctor tells her she is overweight. She says she wants a second opinion...the doctor says, "your ugly".

Pre-nup is where I would go with this. No young woman, no matter how attractive, is to be trusted or be entitled to her spouses assets in which he has earned, ever.

Please be smart with money/asset management.

What about young men?

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    What about young men?
    Women don't make too much money in the kitchen.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

Continental. If you're going to marry her at least have the balls to give her half if it doesn't work out. even more so if she has your kid.

Prenups are good but flawed in many ways today. If she can get a good lawyer they can find loopholes easily.
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

Quote Originally Posted by baddabang View Post
    Continental. If you're going to marry her at least have the balls to give her half if it doesn't work out. even more so if she has your kid.
    issue i have is it's biased towards women a lot, in courts. she'll get more than half.
    Quote Originally Posted by baddabang View Post
    Prenups are good but flawed in many ways today. If she can get a good lawyer they can find loopholes easily.
    yeah but it's still something of an insurance.
    besides, she can't have what she doesn't know i have
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Quote Originally Posted by Rockefella View Post
    Women don't make too much money in the kitchen.
    Plus one.
    Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    issue i have is it's biased towards women a lot, in courts. she'll get more than half.

yeah but it's still something of an insurance.
    besides, she can't have what she doesn't know i have
    Here the court can subpoena your financial records and void the prenup if you fail to make full financial disclosures at the time of signing.

So technically she can have what she doesn't know you have
    John says:
    so i had to dump acid into the block tank today
    i'm afraid to fap
    cause i got it on my hands

thanks for putting me off marriage
    Andreas Preuninger, Manager of Porsche High Performance Cars: "Grandmas can use paddles. They aren't challenging."

Prenups suck. They don't work and some women see it a an insult. I think marriage in general is a scam, but that may be because I'm pissed at women at the moment. Or it could be that it really is a scam that only works because the internet just isn't the same as a real woman. Like my grandpa always said (when my grandma wasn't around): "There's two kinds of women, the kind you pay for and the kind you don't. And the kind you pay for is cheaper."
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

wwgkd, there's more to women than sex as you know. Lovey dovey garbage and companionship and all that trash.

Women breaking your balls then recently?

Pimp system?
    I get everything and she gets a slap in the face.

I guess I would go with English just because it makes the divorce that little bit cleaner and easier. Besides, what's mines is mines...
    "Kimi, can you improve on your [race] finish?"
    "No. My Finnish is fine; I am from Finland. Do you have any water?"

Quote Originally Posted by Kitdy View Post
    wwgkd, there's more to women than sex as you know. Lovey dovey garbage and companionship and all that trash.

Women breaking your balls then recently?
    Yes, there's more, the cooking, cleaning, carrying your luggage, etc.

Yeah. It's a long story, may go into it later.
    Big cities suck

"Not putting miles on your Ferrari is like not having sex with your girlfriend so she'll be more desirable to her next boyfriend." -Napolis

Thread Information