Thread: Territory exports to South Africa; Possible additions to range

Territory exports to South Africa; Possible additions to range

http://carsguide.news.com.au/news/st...E21822,00.html

Bound for foreign Territory
    Gordon Lomas
    18dec04

FORD is exploring the possibility of the Territory going into left-hand-drive markets.

Bosses in Detroit are delighted with the response to the first six months of sales with the Aussie-bred and built Territory now looking for homes in key international markets.
    Ford Australia president, Tom Gorman, said the chance of the Territory reaching other markets had been discussed but it was a complex issue that needed two-way support and was only at discussion stage.

"We would like to see the Territory exported elsewhere but it is not going to be easy," Gorman said.

"We already go to New Zealand but going into left-hand-drive markets, for example, would mean a lot more effort and involvement."

Appealing to a broader Ford family would almost certainly mean the Territory would need a diesel powerplant.

Gorman also warned that there was a big difference with someone purely expressing an interest in a product and putting that idea into production.

"The distance between interest and actual opportunity can be a long way to travel.

"To move from interest to pulling a program in place in terms of engineering dollars is a long way to go...we're talking left-hand-drive here."

Ford is known to be nearing a date when it will announce plans to export the rear-wheel-drive and all-wheel-drive Territory to South Africa.

"We want to do it and we're getting close with our friends in South Africa," Gorman said.

"We're trying to co-ordinate what we both want to say."

Expanding the Territory family with new variants would be known after detailed studies were conducted by Ford in the first quarter of 2005.

On the agenda was a performance FPV version, a diesel and an off-road pack with a higher ride height.

"All three would be great additions but what we have to do is decide what is going to drive incremental bang-for-your bucks," Gorman said.

"I think there's an argument for each one of them but in the first quarter of next year we will have some data on our buyer/rejector studies.

"Why people have rejected the Territory might drive what we will do with another version."

The Territory recently scooped the pool in The Courier-Mail's Car of the Year awards when it won the family class (rear-wheel-drive), recreational vehicle (all-wheel-drive) before the rear-drive took the big gong, the overall Queensland Car of the Year.

It starts from $38,990 in TX rear-drive configuration and rises to $42,990 for the base model all-wheel-drive wagon.
    I am the Stig

I'd like to see a V8 powered one or at least a XR6 Turbo one..Could do with a bit of tarting up...

But about diesels...

Maybe the 2.7l Turbo Diesel V6 out of the Jag S Type?

Or how about the 2.5l TD out of the Volvo XC90 bored out to 3.5l? Could it be done?

I dont think boring out diesel engines is as easy as it seems, could compromise block strength so stroking would be easier, although there are Falcon and Territory test mules running around with both the single and twin turbo 2.7L.

The V8 barely fits as CAPA proved, deck height isnt the problem though, width is. The XR6T and possibly even F6 motor would also be doing the rounds as test mules, but last i heard they were having cooling issues. That and i think theyre worried how much the transfer case can handle, so they might get stuck only offering a RWD version. Although its essentially the same one in the Adventra and Peter Starr has no problem sending 700nm through it
    I am the Stig

I dunno about the Middle East but i'm sure Territory buyers in Aussie and NZ would think 2.7l would be a bit small for the car. I'd say it'd have to be at least 3.2l, but best amount would be around 3.5l

something in the 3L range would have maximum effect yes, but i guess theyre stuck with what theyre got. the engine works fine i the Disco 3 and that not only weighs about 2700kg, its got a 4.2L V8 in the range so thats something to look at.

still, they reckon they can sell a fair few in south africa, and the commodores already over there as the chev lumina so its a market waiting to be opened
    I am the Stig

The prados,patrols have 3 litre diesel in them which are fairly low tech compared to the diesel fords testing at the moment and they go ok.Think the 2.7t or tt would be plenty and also a lot better on fuel.Only need australian fuel companies to start producing,importing decent diesel and we will be laughing
    SA IPRA cars 15, 25, 51 & 77
    Sharperto Racing IP Corollas
    http://www.sharperto.com.au/

Yeah the low down torque and low rev characteristics SHOULD give it fuel consumption figures in the single digits.

Personally im just glad that Ford are keeping on top of things. That buyer feedback should be a world of good
    I am the Stig

Should go well anywhere, I hope the deal gets done them Aussie's will rule the world!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! hahahahahahahaha

But i envi Ford Oz they can send cars overseas and keep the hole name

But be careful if it gets good they (US) will nick it
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Well at least they cant give us one of theirs to lead the company when the outgoing president retires anymore, ALREADY DONE (bit of a dig at how i think Mooney's screwing up holden there)

I'd be interested to see how a Territory wit the offroad pack would look though.....Raised ride height, possible 16" wheels with chunky tyres (im pretty sure 17" is the smallest they can put on cause the brakes are 325mm) snorkel maybe even . CAPA when they stuck the V8 in the tezza also lowered it and stuck XR 17" wheels on and i think it looks pretty good like that, but they then stuck 20" wheels on and it completely ruined it IMO
    I am the Stig

Thread Information