Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is a good laptop to get?

What is a good laptop to get?

I am thinking about buying a laptop. Since it will be mostly for taking notes *COUGH*other things I should not be doing in class*COUGH*, I am most likely going to get a Mac. I love my PC for gaming and it's everyday use, but I am not a huge fan of PC laptops.

Thinks I would like about the laptop:
    1) Yes, I know Mac's are not cheap, but try to keep it under 600 American dollars, preferably under 500.
    2) Wireless internet no matter where I am. This is not a requirement but it would be nice. I do not mean an airport thing, I mean ANYwhere. Kind of like an ethernet card type thing.
    3) I would prefer the best possible performance I can get for the prices listed, and the internet card must also fit in the price if it is added.

Not many other things I would like, except the cheaper the better. Performance wise, 2 or more Ghz would be good, preferably with 2 being the minimum, and AT LEAST 30 gig harddrive. A good video card is also a must, but nowhere NEAR top of the line, more like the equal to the processor. You get the general idea.

Ask if you want some more clarification.

EDIT: Ok, change of plans. The Mac mini is pretty much all I can afford, but it also seems to be perfect in terms of speed and harddrive. Is this a good thing for taking notes and writing programs?
    Last edited by CdocZ; 03-14-2005 at 06:37 PM.
    "I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring" - Richard Feynman, last recorded words.

Well the budget just blows any up to date mac out of the water, except for older little ibooks. I'm on a 15" 1.5ghz 512mb ram PowerBook right now, simply amazing, no program makes it lag, (it has the macromedia suite and halo on it) and built in wireless internet. It is upwards of 2 grand though. My mom got a 3 ghz hp laptop, 60 gb hd, 348 mb ram, 15.4" widescreen, CD-RW, built in wireless for 1100 bucks. The build quality is kinda poor on the hp though, plastic vs the mac's metal. Price is the clencher though, it all depends on what you can buy.
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

if you want a good laptop.....think about upping that limit, get the mac mini, that'll be enough.(you can also get it free in some of those free"insert device here".com, aparently they do work but sux you gotta sign up to some of their offers)
    1993 nissan 240sx hatchback(stock) <<drifter, straight liner, road courser

"Horsepower is the force that determines how fast you hit the wall. Torque is the force that determines how far you take the wall with you after you hit it."

"Horsepower sells cars, torque wins races" - Carroll Shelby

"Real cars don't make power at the front wheels....they lift them."

Yeah.........My parents might help me pay for it (might get them to help me buy a laptop for my bday present), but that only accounts for 300 dollars. I am currently seeing if I can access some other funds, because I can only pay for aproximately 150-200 dollars of it. I am changing from the mini to the ibook 12 inch screen.

Whatever you get, DO NOT get a Toshiba. They're horrible, well the A20 is anyway.
    "To control 800 horsepower relying just on arm muscles and foot sensitivity can turn out to be a dangerous exercise."
    Michael Schumacher

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf03
    Whatever you get, DO NOT get a Toshiba. They're horrible, well the A20 is anyway.
    It will most likely be a Mac. This thing is mostly for taking notes, music, a tiny tiny bit of gaming, writing programs, and when connected to the internet, doing better in comp sci (my teacher says he will teach me how to do some......fun things )

Mac is good, dells too, if your really up to it-make your own
    Don't bother me, I'm probably working while posting...

UCP's biggest...oh man...i got nothin'

There is no way in hell you will get what you're asking for with a sub 600 budget, sorry.
    Rockefella says:
    pat's sister is hawt
    David Fiset says:
    so is mine
    David Fiset says:
    do want

i have dell and im very happy with it,,,,
    Some Rulers Are Immortalized In Marble Others,
    In Carbon Fiber.{Hard Core Audi Fan}Ich Fahr Omnibus!
    """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

i have to get one next year. i would say to up your price to a grand and get a 12" iBook....i figured mine out to cost $1150us
    pondering things

If you can up your budget alot I suggest getting the Sharp Actius MM20P. It's a very thin and lightweight computer. The only drawback is when it is running only on battery power it can only last about 90 minutes or so. But you can get an updated battery that can give you a good 3 hours. My cousin has this laptop and it is amazing. It is fairly pricey with a total of about 1,599 bucks but it's worth it!
    My Photography: flickr.com/photos/a-m-photo/
    "The best way to predict the future is to invent it."

Quote Originally Posted by Manik
    It is fairly pricey with a total of about 1,599 bucks but it's worth it!
    i would go super iBook or baseline PowerBook for that kind of money
    pondering things

for a while i wanted a laptop. but then i figured, im not going to need the advantage of ttaking it with me THAT often, and you can get a much better PC for the same price as a mediocre laptop. so i bought a desktop pc and my parents will buy me a laptop for college in a few years.
    [url]www.spenserheaps.smugmug.com[/url]

Get a Intel Centrino Notebook. kicks everythings arse.
    The Datto will rage again...

If it has to be a MAC, I guess its going to be an ibook. 'nough said.

I am offically useless.

Thread Information