Thread: BMW 1500 (and next of kin)

BMW 1500 (and next of kin)

BMW 1500 (and subsequent models)

The BMW 1500 presented in 1961 at the IAA in Frankfurt can be considered as the mother of all current BMWs. The rear wheel/front engine, independent rear suspension layout has been maintained up to the latest models. The spiritual heir of the 1500 is now called the 5-series.

The 1500 was BMW’s ultimate effort to avoid bankruptcy (or being taken over by Mercedes) and it had to fill the gap between the highly successful 700 series and the obsolete Baroque Angel limousines.

The 1500 was presented with a 80 BHP four pot OHC engine, McPherson front struts and a elaborate independent rear suspension, far superior to the swing axles used by Mercedes at that time. Although deliveries only started towards the end of 1962 the wait was rewarded for what was considered to be the most advanced European middle class car available at that time.

Many variants later appeared that basically used the same body, starting with the 1800 versions and the 1800 TI in late 1963. The latter turned out to be an excellent reply in touring car racing to the Alfa Giulia and the Lotus Cortina, and a very special version, the 1800 TI/SA (Sonder Ausstattung) of which only 200 were produced, but which allowed many normal TIs to be homologated for racing work.

The original 1500 was replace in 1964 with a 1600 version (the same engine to be used in the 1602), and in 1966 the 2000 model appeared, being more luxurious than the 1800, but using the same body. Some additional chrome was used, but its main feature was the use of square headlight, which made Auto Motor und Sport ask the question whether something like “square” light exists.

Also the 2000 came in many versions, like a 2000 TI, which however had the simpler bodywork of the 1800TI. Those who also needed the 2000 bodywork could opt for the 2000 TIlux and as most people did, the simple 2000 TI was only very shortlived. The final version of the TI had an injection engine and was dubbed 2000 Tii. The final versions of the 1800 base model were fitted with the 2000 headlights as well, no doubt in order to get rid of stocks…

Production of the model lasted until 1972, when they were all replaced by the first 5-series, the 520. In total almost 365,000 of the cars were sold, turning it indeed into a company saving concept. Almost 20000 were produced abroad, mainly in South Africa.

Shown here are the BMW owned 1500, which they continue to use for publicity purposes and and a standard 2000 model, both pics taken at the Essen Motorshow in 2003
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Shown here is the works BMW 2000 TI racer, demonstrated by Hubert Hahne at the Goodwood FoS in 2002, a 2000Tii pictured in Essen, a rare late 1800 with the 2000 headlight units and an 1800 TI/SA pictured at the Nuerburgring in 2004
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Germany -> West Germany -> NRW -> Düsseldorf
    I think you mean the Techno Classica in Essen, not the Essen Motor Show, didn't you?
    WRC - That's motorsport!

"If you can see the tree you are about to hit, it is called 'understeering'. If you can only hear and feel it, it was 'oversteering'."
    Walter Röhrl

Quote Originally Posted by netburner
    I think you mean the Techno Classica in Essen, not the Essen Motor Show, didn't you?
    probably yes

This is my favourite shape of BMW. Thanks for the info Henk! I see these about quite a bit - looked in to buying one at one point, but they hold their value pretty well, so couldn't really afford it. Nice looking saloons though.
    "Work is the curse of the drinking classes."
    Oscar Wilde

Classic Motoring Blog -
    http://classicmotoring.blogspot.com/

One of "next of kin" - BMW 2000 ti driven by the duo Killenberg + Rühse in Brno 6 - Hour TC race in 1967. (This BMW is said to be the same car that was raced by Jacky Ickx earlier that year).

Three more - 1970, No.46 is BMW 1600 (Jaeger + Fleischmann), No. 38 is BMW 1600 of Auto Koenig Team (Henne + Basche) and No.44 is BMW 1600 ti of the same team (Hurler + Schmid).

Thread Information