Thread: NSU Ro80

NSU Ro80

NSU Ro80

The Neckarsulmer Strickmachinen Fabrik (sewing machine factory) started to produce cars already in 1906, but ceased in the mid twenties, only to restart production at the end of the fifties.

Their most important claim to fame is that they funded the development of Dr. Felix Wankel, the rotary engine, which had no conventional piston but a sort of triangular shaped rotor that turned around in a circular housing and by creating “spaces” alongside the rotor combustion chambers could be generated. The biggest problem of the engine was always the sealing of rotor against the interior side of the housing, but the big advantage was the abolishment of vertical up and down movement of pistons. This allowed for a very nice willingness to rev and created a turbine like smoothness.

The first series production car was the NSU Wankel Spider, basically a Sport Prinz Coupe, which was partly used as a testbed for the public. This car was presented in 1964 and based on the success, NSU decided to take the plunge with a full sized sedan, which was presented in 1967.

This was the RO80 which was highly acclaimed, and not only for the engine but also for its futuristic design and very potent chassis. The engine was now a bi-rotor version which produced 115 BHP. The 3-speed gearbox was attached to an automatic clutch (torque-converter) to compensate for the relative lack of low-end torque. This, in combination with the inherent characteristics of the Wankel engine, resulted in a rather high fuel consumption, which, especially after 1973, was not a good selling point. The car deservedly got the Car of the Year award for 1967.

The teething problems, again with the sealing of the rotor resulted in many costly repairs (under warranty) but eventual all the problems were sorted out and the car became reasonably reliable. At that time however also NSU’s financial resources had gone back to a very worrying state, and the company was eventually taken over by Volkswagen which did not continue with brand name not with the Wankel experiment, leaving Mazda as the sole producer working along those principles. A short experiment by Citroen also proved less than satisfactory.

Production of the RO80 lasted until 1977 and about 37,400 were made. Many have later been fitted with conventional engines (Ford or Audi) but real believers kept the NSU or replaced it with a Mazda rotary engine.

Here is an example shown at the Concours d’Elegance at the Loo, in 2004
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by henk4; 11-11-2005 at 12:28 PM.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Any pics with clean background? I was kinda hoping for those...

Quote Originally Posted by smxi
    Any pics with clean background? I was kinda hoping for those...
    you can't have them all, all the time Be happy with an engine pic.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    you can't have them all, all the time Be happy with an engine pic.
    I don't collect engine pics...

Quote Originally Posted by smxi
    I don't collect engine pics...
    but the engine made this car...

Ro80 performing
    Attached Images Attached Images

A nice and revolutionary car indeed ! Much underrated. As a curiosity : Sir John Whitmore, racing ace of the 60s , - European Touring car champion 1965 in Alan Mann Lotus Cortina -, used to drive one. As a fact I believe he still has got one.......That's a good indication....

Dag

My family had one as a car about the time I was born.

My father loved it - but my mother was just the opposite as she had trouble starting it without fouling the plugs.
    Chief of Secret Police and CFO - Brotherhood of Jelly
    No Mr. Craig, I expect you to die! On the inside. Of heartbreak. You emo bitch

Thread Information