Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: What makes a supercar a supercar?

Supercar- Stops your heart every time it goes past you, amazing possibly breathtaking accleration, capable of high speeds, handle the autobahn and nurburgring and curvy mountain roads without breaking a sweat. Reliability should be mediocre to good, depending on where you buy it. The interior should cradle you as you reach high speeds and the controls should be at your fingertips. As for production, it should be very very limited, and only availble to certain people.
    I'm dropping out to create a company that starts with motorcycles, then cars, and forty years later signs a legendary Brazilian driver who has a public and expensive feud with his French teammate.

Quote Originally Posted by PerfAdv
    In addition to all the performance a supercar has to be very expensive and exclusive. So, eventhough the V8 Ferraris meet all the other criteria they aren't quite rare enough to be supercars, IMO.
    And the Ferrari 208 GTB is far from fast...
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

A supercar is a car that you would have had a poster of in your bedroom when you were 14. For instance, A Ferrari 250 GTO is a supercar though a 90's Camaro Z-28 would probably give it a run for it's money. But I would hesitate to **** a girl who drives a Z-28, while I would probably **** a 250 GTO, and it's not even human, or alive. Supercars are about the emotion that they inspire in their observer/driver. To me, an Austin-Healey 3000 is a supercar. In its day, it was among the best, and it was driven in anger by some of the best (Timo Maakinen((or however you spell it,)) etc.) So are the Auburn Boattail Speedster, The Mercedes SSK's, the Maserati A-6 GCS family, the Bugatti Type 35, the Jaguar E-Type, the 4.5 litre Bentley and so on and so forth and even the MG TD, though I could probably outrun one on a really tight road in a pair of ****ing sneakers.

Imagine it this way. If you were driving an Impreza WRX-STi, what cars would you let outrun you at a stoplight, just to see the rear of the car? Those are Supercars. You stop to look at them. You'd pay to see them sitting still.

Somebody give me an amen on that.

I rekon a supercar is a car that can do all the fancy times and top speeds (etc. 0-100kmh under 4 secs, 330kmh top end) but they are only the by products of a car/supercar. (take this as a slight figure of speech) A supercar should keep a smile on your face or a level of excitement which u dont get normally from a basic car for the whole time while driving it. The noise, speed and how the car feels keeps that smile going. Each person that has reviewed a merc SLR has said its a great car but the smile that it should give u isnt there so its failed at being a proper supercar partly because that car doesnt have a special unique feel which it should of had and also partly because mercs r just recliners with a big engine a four wheels . Then i read about a Pagani Zonda F and the text is saying how the car has a special feel to it, it has a noise that can cause heart attacks to old people and i cbf trying to think of more things to say about it cause im to tired so go do it yourself.

If you want a fast accelerating car, buy a trackday car.
    If you want a good handling car, buy a trackday car.
    If you want a car with a high top speed, mod a Corvette.
    If you're rich and want either a good accelerating, handling or a car with high top speed, buy a race car like an FXX or a MC12 Corsa.

So supercars aren't the first choice for the one who wants performance, so why does one buy a supercar?

I think people buy supercars because they want something special, something crazy, something that makes them feel like small boys again. A supercar should also be an aesthetical work of art that exites you in almost the same way a beautiful woman does.
    In what ways supercars are special depends on the individual supercar and so does the looks.

Supercars should be fast, no doubt. But if they were only focused on performance they wouldn't still be special and therefor not earn the supercar title.

Imo the Zonda F is everything a supercar should be. It wasn't built primarily to outperform Ferraris and Lambos but an expression of how Horacio Pagani thought a supercar should be, which included being fast. Individuality is his slogan. It also has the looks that gives you an orgasm every time you look at it and most people who've driven it has said it's just about perfect and several has said the most wonderful car in the world to drive.

I also think that supercars didn't exist before the Lamborghini Miura, it may not have been good but it sure was special and looked outrageous. Same goes for the Countach and Diablo. The Zonda F is all that and is still a great car. Perfect!

Everybody as their own taste in cars and for the Zonda F is the ultimate.

Ps, Some of you might know me fron Fast-autos.net and Germancarzone.com where I go under the name of Zonda, but the name was taken here so I had to go for Fermish.
    Last edited by Fermish; 06-11-2006 at 08:40 AM.

land of the Desert Extreme Challenge Rally
    Quote Originally Posted by Fermish
    and most people who've driven it has said it's just about perfect and several has said the most wonderful car in the world to drive.
    Yes, but they could be biased.

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer
    And the Ferrari 208 GTB is far from fast...
    The son of one of our forum members has Nino Vaccarella's former 208 GTB Turbo. Don't ever mention to him that it is not fast.....
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

land of the Desert Extreme Challenge Rally
    Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    The son of one of our forum members has Nino Vaccarella's former 208 GTB Turbo. Don't ever mention to him that it is not fast.....
    If he bothers logging on, reading and posting

I was refering to the non-turbo version.
    Visca Catalunya!

I was refering to the non-turbo version.
    not explicitly
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

not explicitly
    Obviously the should have called the car the "Ferrari 208 GTB The One That Doesn't Have A Turbocharged Engine Under The Bonnet"...
    Visca Catalunya!

Obviously the should have called the car the "Ferrari 208 GTB The One That Doesn't Have A Turbocharged Engine Under The Bonnet"...
    don't exaggerate....

I think you know what a supercar is when you crash it, and the repair bill makes you ill.

That's a true sign of a supercar.

Also as something just the average ordinary Joe would look at and say it's a supercar.

Exclusivity... expensive... extremely fast... impractical... etc.

Quote Originally Posted by IWantAnAudiRS6
    I think you know what a supercar is when you crash it, and the repair bill makes you ill.

That's a true sign of a supercar.

Also as something just the average ordinary Joe would look at and say it's a supercar.

Exclusivity... expensive... extremely fast... impractical... etc.
    Which is why the Porsche 911 shouldn't be considered a supercar.

Quote Originally Posted by Fermish
    If you want a fast accelerating car, buy a trackday car.
    If you want a good handling car, buy a trackday car.
    If you want a car with a high top speed, mod a Corvette.
    If you're rich and want either a good accelerating, handling or a car with high top speed, buy a race car like an FXX or a MC12 Corsa.

So supercars aren't the first choice for the one who wants performance, so why does one buy a supercar?

I think people buy supercars because they want something special, something crazy, something that makes them feel like small boys again. A supercar should also be an aesthetical work of art that exites you in almost the same way a beautiful woman does.
    In what ways supercars are special depends on the individual supercar and so does the looks.

Supercars should be fast, no doubt. But if they were only focused on performance they wouldn't still be special and therefor not earn the supercar title.

Imo the Zonda F is everything a supercar should be. It wasn't built primarily to outperform Ferraris and Lambos but an expression of how Horacio Pagani thought a supercar should be, which included being fast. Individuality is his slogan. It also has the looks that gives you an orgasm every time you look at it and most people who've driven it has said it's just about perfect and several has said the most wonderful car in the world to drive.

I also think that supercars didn't exist before the Lamborghini Miura, it may not have been good but it sure was special and looked outrageous. Same goes for the Countach and Diablo. The Zonda F is all that and is still a great car. Perfect!

Everybody as their own taste in cars and for the Zonda F is the ultimate.

Ps, Some of you might know me fron Fast-autos.net and Germancarzone.com where I go under the name of Zonda, but the name was taken here so I had to go for Fermish.
    TRUE THAT MOTHERF*****

Thread Information