Thread: Giannini 590GT

Giannini 590GT

Giannini 590 GT

Giannini is based on the company started in 1920 by the brothers Attilio and Domenico Giannini, when they opened a dealership for Itala in Rome.

Over the years they developed a big reputation for tuning engines, in the same way that Abarth did and as of 1949 they built their own engine designs, mostly on DOHC basis, not only for their own cars, but also for the competition. Occasionally they produced complete car models, like the 850 Grand Prix, which continued life as the Abarth Scorpione. They were also active in the production of Formula Junior cars.

The most remembered cars by Giannini are their versions of the Fiat Nuova 500, for which they produced not less than eight different engine versions, ranging from 390 to 652 cc, which produced 32 BHP at 5800 rev/min.

Shown here is a 590 GT , the 31 BHP version which drove around in paddock of grid 6 the Le Mans Classic of this year. Up to very recent replica cars were available from Giannini, and this car most likely is one of those.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by henk4; 07-25-2006 at 04:24 AM.
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

it's Luigi Fully Loaded! (you know, from Cars, the movie. and from Herbie)
    Last edited by gt4forever; 07-25-2006 at 05:21 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by gt4forever
    it's Luigi Fully Loaded! (you know, from Cars, the movie. and from Herbie)
    to be honest I have no idea what you are talking about
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by henk4
    to be honest I have no idea what you are talking about
    Henk, in America there is an animated film called Cars. It's about a world full of cars that are alive and humans don't exist. Luigi is a car played by a Fiat 500. There was also a movie called Herbie: Fully Loaded that featured a racing VW Beetle. I'm just combining the two titles into one. Sorry I had no idea Europeans had not heard of these films yet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cars_%28movie%29
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbie_Fully_Loaded

Quote Originally Posted by gt4forever
    Henk, in America there is an animated film called Cars. It's about a world full of cars that are alive and humans don't exist. Luigi is a car played by a Fiat 500. There was also a movie called Herbie: Fully Loaded that featured a racing VW Beetle. I'm just combining the two titles into one. Sorry I had no idea Europeans had not heard of these films yet.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cars_%28movie%29
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Herbie_Fully_Loaded
    Well I was aware of Herbie, but not of Cars. You made it sound like the car I had posted was the main actor of that movie, so it was indeed a replica...

Honestly, are we Brits the only ones keeping the side up?

Actually, don't answer that....!
    www.crash.net/motoring/roadcars/news/home/

Quote Originally Posted by MrKipling
    Honestly, are we Brits the only ones keeping the side up?

Actually, don't answer that....!

How can I not answer when I even don't understand what your question is?

Love these small Fiat-based cars...so cute!

I got the luck to drive one of them (when I was a little bit younger) and I remenber that as a unforgetable experience.
    Small car with a great "heart"...in the back.

Nice pictures Henk!

Giannini actually still produces their "590GT replica" to order. The car pictures at Lemans might actually be an originel " period" Giannini or nice replica; the series built from the 90's to today are fitted with wide fenders and three spoke wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex_Corse View Post
    Nice pictures Henk!

Giannini actually still produces their "590GT replica" to order. The car pictures at Lemans might actually be an originel " period" Giannini or nice replica; the series built from the 90's to today are fitted with wide fenders and three spoke wheels.
    Thanks for the comments (also regarding the Abarths). It could well be that the LeMans was an original, but then it would also be relatively easy to replace the current three spoke wheels with more fitting period originals....I did not speak with the owner about the car..

You are right Henk. Wheels can be easily replaced, but the 590GT's built a few years ago also had wide fenders. Mechnicals were based on Fiat 126 components which could (and can) still be bought NEW in Poland. The engine shown in the pictures has the cooling-panelwork from a Fiat 500 engine and not from a Fiat 126 as was the case with the 590GT replica's. This makes me think it is either an original from 1967-1972 or a nice replica.
    Anyway, it is a nice example anyhow and I like the Fergat wheels.

Alex

Thread Information