Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: BMW 5-Series (E12) 1972-1981

BMW 5-Series (E12) 1972-1981

BMW 5-Series E12

The BMW E12 BMW 5-Series was made between 1972 and 1981. The E12 was the first series to bear the 5 Series name: the '5' denoting BMW's fifth 'New Class' platform. Designed as a replacement for the popular BMW New Class mid-size sedan, the E12 5-Series models were smaller than the large BMW E3 sedan but larger than the two-door 2002 models. The E12 was replaced by the BMW E28 5 Series in 1981, although production continued until 1984 in South Africa.

BMW 5-Series E12 and BMW M 535i (last picture).
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Man of Steel; 04-04-2023 at 01:13 PM.
    I'm going to eat breakfast. And then I'm going to change the world.

24h of Spa.
    Lack of charisma can be fatal.
    Visca Catalunya!

BMW 5-Series (E12) #3
    Last edited by Man of Steel; 04-04-2023 at 01:14 PM.

BMW 5-Series (E12) #4
    Last edited by Man of Steel; 04-04-2023 at 01:15 PM. Reason: Removed non E12 pictures

Look! A good looking BMW!
    Visca Catalunya!

Those were the days when BMW was the synonyme for sporty saloons
    FIXIE EVOLVED INTO SMALL MOTORBIKE! Now driving a Simson KR51 <3

Dream ride: red 1971 Opel Commodore GS/E

Quote Originally Posted by Commodore GS/E View Post
    Those were the days when BMW was the synonyme for sporty saloons
    It still is.

And back then they arguably had more competition.
    Visca Catalunya!

Quote Originally Posted by Ferrer View Post
    It still is.
    Really?
    In my (slightly old-fashioned) opinion, BMW has made to many compromises for the mass market. They have stepped away from their roots by making their cars heavier and heavier. Best example is the M3 which is way too heavy now. Also, BMW has diluted it's brand values by creating cars like the X5 M and the X6 M. And although (and I know i'll get shot for this one ) I like the new 5er GT, it's also way too heavy. BMWs are still very good, but only compare the old M5 to the last gen, and you'll see what I mean. The have just some of the soul they had in former times.
    I know somebody who recently bought a first gen M5 for only 9000 bucks, and he says it's marvellous. Looks better, too.

I know somebody who recently bought a first gen M5 for only 9000 bucks, and he says it's marvellous. Looks better, too.
    Proper E28 M5 (not M535i) would cost at least €20,000.

I like the 5er GT too. Or I would if their photocopier hadn't broken down and they hadn't build it with completely wrong proportions.

On the other hand, yes there's plenty of wrong with modern BMW. But then again there's plenty of wrong with the modern automotive world and hardly anyone can be saved. The fact of the matter is though that as far as sports saloons are concerned BMW is still the benchmark. You may not like or prefer something else, but objectively they are pretty damn good.

Yes the M3 isn't as involving, the 335i outshines it. Cars are getting bigger and fatter. But get behind the wheel of one, drive a little bit, and the feel is immediately apparent. BMWs are truly excellent driver's cars, they are balanced, taut, precise, great handling cars. And it doesn't matter if you are driving a 1er diesel or an M3.

And there's hardly anywhere you can get this feeling today. To do, you have to spend a serious amount of money.
    Visca Catalunya!

Revo, look this up and see what i ment:
    Suchergebnisse: Pkw bei mobile.de

the site may be german, but you can read the important part (prices).´

And there's hardly anywhere you can get this feeling today. To do, you have to spend a serious amount of money.
    I know. Maybe that's the point the automotive industry should realize that they are moving the wrong way. Electronics are a fine thing in a luxury car ( and i think some of them aren't wrong in sports cars, either) but if they make a car too heavy (and in this way less fuel efficient, less exciting and less useful), they should stay out. Not to mention that heavier cars need even more electronic gadgets to control the immense weigtht. Just look at current Full size luxurys. Most of them need massive electronic help to be safe. Just imagine a 2.2 ton front-heavy car driving along on a curvy road, and you know what i mean. In my point of fiew, that's just plain wrong. A car that is just safe because of some assistment electronics shouldn't be allowed on the streets. I didn't even like the first gen A-Class that would fall over if you drive fast into a corner (you may have seen the video). It's not that i generally dislike modern cars, but i think they are ruined by the bean-counters who think "mmmh...those electronics make the car more luxurious. It may be heavier, but who cares? Most buyers won't care about the extra weight. We don't need those few enthusiasts". Or tu put it simple: the mass market ruins the normal car for the enthusiast.
    Last edited by Commodore GS/E; 04-24-2010 at 02:30 PM.

What do you mean then? The only E28 M5 on sale has a pricetag of 23,000 euros.

Quote Originally Posted by Revo View Post
    What do you mean then? The only E28 M5 on sale has a pricetag of 23,000 euros.
    Maybe you overlooked the one that cost 10000 bucks.
    The thing is, you can get them much cheaper. The guy a ment discussed a lot with the owner and finally got the car nearly 2000 Euros cheaper than the owner wanted to sell it.

I know. Maybe that's the point the automotive industry should realize that they are moving the wrong way. Electronics are a fine thing in a luxury car ( and i think some of them aren't wrong in sports cars, either) but if they make a car too heavy (and in this way less fuel efficient, less exciting and less useful), they should stay out. Not to mention that heavier cars need even more electronic gadgets to control the immense weigtht. Just look at current Full size luxurys. Most of them need massive electronic help to be safe. Just imagine a 2.2 ton front-heavy car driving along on a curvy road, and you know what i mean. In my point of fiew, that's just plain wrong. A car that is just safe because of some assistment electronics shouldn't be allowed on the streets. I didn't even like the first gen A-Class that would fall over if you drive fast into a corner (you may have seen the video). It's not that i generally dislike modern cars, but i think they are ruined by the bean-counters who think "mmmh...those electronics make the car more luxurious. It may be heavier, but who cares? Most buyers won't care about the extra weight. We don't need those few enthusiasts". Or tu put it simple: the mass market ruins the normal car for the enthusiast.
    I don't disagree, but I think that both contemporary and classic cars can be good and bad and that there are plenty of examples of each. We should just learn to appreciate for what they are.

In some aspects like safety and reliablity cars have advanced greatly, and I think that this is something we should recognise and appreciate. On the other hand cars are getting more complicated (sometimes unnecesarily) and this detracts from the driving experience.

On balance I'd say that cars aren't getting better or worse, just different. The car is evoluting, and we may not like some aspects of it, but we may like others. In any case there's still plenty of new cars you can have a lot of fun in. I'd say hurry up before they remove those too. And by the way, thanks to the green concerns it seems like cars are getting lighter too.
    Visca Catalunya!

Sorry for being that negative about modern cars

Thread Information