Go to Ultimatecarpage.com

 gt Ultimatecarpage.com  > Cars by brand  > Italy  > Ferrari
Racing cars  > GT Cars
     250 GT SWB Berlinetta Competizione
Car search:
Quick Advanced 
Cars statistics: 6590 cars, 508 makes, 41198 images; Events statistics: 325 reports, 62219 images; Forum statistics: 93,879 members, 44,531 topics; more...


  Ferrari 250 GT SWB Berlinetta Competizione
 

  Article Image gallery (242) Chassis (9) 1759GT Specifications User Comments (2)  
Click here to open the Ferrari 250 GT SWB Berlinetta Competizione  gallery   
Country of origin:Italy
Produced from:1959 - 1961
Numbers built:52
Introduced at:1959 Paris Motor Show
Designed by:Pinin Farina / Scaglietti
Predecessor:Ferrari 250 GT LWB Interim Berlinetta
Successor:Ferrari 250 GT SWB Berlinetta Comp/61
Author:Wouter Melissen
Last updated:May 18, 2015
Download: All images
Chassis: 1759GT
The sixth SWB 250 GT built, this competition car was built specifically for the 24 Hours of Le Mans. Before being delivered, it was extensively tested by works drivers Phil Hill, Richie Ginther and Wolfgang von Trips at Monza. In June of 1960, it was entered by Luigi Chinetti's North American Racing Team on behalf of NART's long-term client and financial backer Dr. Harvey Schur. It was finished in distinctive markings, which included white stripes down the sides and a white and blue grille surround. Faced with torrential conditions, Ed Hugus and Augie Pabst piloted chassis 1759GT to seventh overall and fourth in class. Following the race, the car was exported to the United States and delivered to its owner with a new speedometer fitted, which read miles instead of kilometres.

Dr. Schur only owned the car briefly as it was acquired by Gilbert Horton in 1962. He campaigned the car in the Black Otter hill-climb in Montana and also used to drive to Road America to watch the 500-mile race in September of that year. Between 1973 and 1980, it was owned by avid historic racer Philip Bronner, who campaigned the car in the Monterey Historic Races from 1975 to 1980. Following a brief spell in Peter Giddings' hands, it was acquired by Tom Mudd in 1983. He commissioned a full restoration but it never got beyond stripping the car to bare metal even though he would own it until 2002. A subsequent owner had British specialist GTO Engineering complete the work. It was then briefly raced at select historic events and has since changed hands again. The most recent owner returned the car to GTO Engineering where the complete Le Mans livery was added.


Chassis details
Manufactured in June 18, 1960
Engine number 1759GT
First owner Dr. Harvey Schur
Last known location British Private Collection
Appearances
Most recent auction(s)

2016 Monterey Auctions 2016 Monterey Auctions 2009 Goodwood Revival 2009 Goodwood Revival
2009 Goodwood Revival 2009 Goodwood Revival 2009 Goodwood Revival 2009 Goodwood Revival
2009 Goodwood Revival 2009 Goodwood Revival 2009 Goodwood Revival 2009 Goodwood Revival
2008 Cavallino Classic 2008 Cavallino Classic 2006 Cavallino Classic 2006 Cavallino Classic
2006 Cavallino Classic 2006 Cavallino Classic

  Article Image gallery (242) Chassis (9) 1759GT Specifications User Comments (2)