Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mercedes: Mission Possible

Mercedes: Mission Possible

Well after looking at the new host of products from Mercedes, I reckon they're trying to do the impossible - cheapen the brand. That sad thing is they appear to be doing it. All the new styling appears quite Japanese-inspired (ML, new S-Class, CLS), and the sports cars (SLK & SLR) have a hideous overtly-phallic design theme running through them. It's like they've done focus group after focus group with fanboys and posers and this is the new design direction they've gone with. It looks expensive, but often borders on tasteless.

What do you guys reckon?

I've never been a big fan of Mercs. If i had to pick a favourite it would be either SL or S class. I think the CLS AMG looks good but i agree that they are cheapening the brand. I think the cars have always looked cheap and tatty. When you look at a car, it looks solid and sturdy (like the BMW 7 series - it looks solid). But Mercs look almost like plastic. Flimsy and unstable. I find that when I look at a lot of cars. They either look solid or flimsy. Its wierd.

yeah good points.

Friend got a new C-class and whilst it looks nice there was always somethign about it I didn't like. Never could put my finger on it till tese posts.

Yep, it looks 'cheap' materials and style.

How do I break the news to her ???
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Jonny Flash
    I've never been a big fan of Mercs. I think the cars have always looked cheap and tatty.
    Do you actually like any car in the world? Or better, have you ever seen one or are in living in the desert? Have you ever sat your clumsy bones in a Mercedes? They are fragile and plastic? Thank god there are solid Kias around!
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

Personaly i wouldn't buy a merc, mercedes doesn't have a single sports car... if your gona get all defencive about that... just remember that the SL weights something like 2 tons... about 4000 pounds! and auto gearboxes? hmmm sporty!

Quote Originally Posted by ruim20
    Personaly i wouldn't buy a merc, mercedes doesn't have a single sports car... if your gona get all defencive about that... just remember that the SL weights something like 2 tons... about 4000 pounds! and auto gearboxes? hmmm sporty!
    The new SLK is good enough for evo to recommend...
    Last edited by Coventrysucks; 12-16-2004 at 12:01 PM.
    Thanks for all the fish

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    Do they have a part time hairdressers shop?

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    If you say, i believe you, i haven´t driven the new slk yet, could be a good surprise then, but in terms of stylling it doesn´t convince me for a bit.

it´s just when people say "mercedes" it remindes me of old people, yeah they're great cars for my parents... not for me, CLK DTM yes! nothing else thank you.

The cars around mid 90's were the best I reckon. Built like tanks, looked classy, quality, and AMG Versions were as usual, very fast.

I agree that Mercedes is cheapening up its look of its cars. It just isn't right.

Quote Originally Posted by Spastik_Roach
    The cars around mid 90's were the best I reckon. Built like tanks, looked classy, quality, and AMG Versions were as usual, very fast.

I agree that Mercedes is cheapening up its look of its cars. It just isn't right.
    Perfect, very true!

Quote Originally Posted by ruim20

Who talked about sportivness? I like Mercedes for the nice relaxed very fast cruisers. I like them with autobox. It's a nice car for those trips and days when you aren't in the mood for action or just can't. Not my style of car, but can't argue with their quality and skills. And as someone said the new SLK starts to be sporty. And the SL 55 AMG looks like it's quite a sports car. Not that I like a lot, but we can't judge cars based on our taste.
    My father owns a 94 C280, and the way and speed with wich you cross the country is unmatchable by many more modern cars. It's confy and unfortunately, manual. The manual box of Mercedes is awful to use.
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

I don't like Mercs and take it from me we have a Mercedes E-klasse because the dash is ugly and it handles like a small tank

I really don't care wha t you think of MB cars but all I have to say is that MB will always be a car with style and class plus it will be a car that will never fail you belive me I own a 190D 1985, 250 D 1992, and C240 2003
    ________
    COLORADO MARIJUANA DISPENSARIES
    Last edited by hec16; 08-20-2011 at 08:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by hec16
    I really don't care wha t you think of MB cars but all I have to say is that MB will always be a car with style and class plus it will be a car that will never fail you belive me I own a 190D 1985, 250 D 1992, and C240 2003
    Well put

my mom owns a 2000 E320 and it runs great the only problems we ever have with it are lights buring out.
    My Photography robneill.deviantart.com

Hisorically they've been superb but since they went over-technical with electric motors for EVERYTHING there measurable quality has dropped.

In response M-B announced last year that they were designing OUT over 300 electronic parts.

So they're not perfect but they do have the courage to redesign to change things that are broken !!
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Thread Information