Thread: The Webber Europe Overlooked

The Webber Europe Overlooked

http://www.v8supercars.com.au/news/l...nd=M&gid=14650

SBR drivers on Autosport list
    Release Date: 16/12/2004
    Stone Brothers Racing’s Marcos Ambrose and Russell Ingall have both been named on an exclusive list of drivers by the world’s best known motorsport magazine, Autosport.

Ambrose, who recently won back-to-back V8 Supercar championships in his Pirtek Falcon, has been rated as the fourth best touring car driver in the world and the 37th best driver in any formula.

Ingall, who helped SBR to an historic 1-2 finish in this year’s V8 Supercar championship in his Caltex Ford, has been named as the 17th best touring car driver on the planet, by the British-based magazine.

Ambrose took his place on the touring car list behind Germany Touring Championship (DTM) drivers Mattias Ekstrom (Sweden) and Gary Paffett (Great Britain) and European Touring Car Championship driver Andy Priaulx (Great Britain).

Autosport described Ambrose as “the (Mark) Webber Europe overlooked”.

Ambrose, who is currently on a two-month sabbatical, has added this week’s praise to a list of recent awards including his second consecutive Barry Sheene Medal as V8 Supercar’s “best and fairest” driver and his second Confederation of Australian Motor Sports’ (CAMS) Personality of the Year trophy.

“I guess it’s nice to be recognised in such a way, but it looks like I have a bit more work to do to get to number one,” said Ambrose.

“It would be great if all those guys in the top 20 had a chance to race against each other in equal equipment, it would be interesting to see the final outcome.

“It will be great to see more and more Australians get into that list as the V8 Supercars gain more and more international recognition.”

The top 20 touring car drivers are:

1 Mattias Ekstrom (S) DTM
    2 Gary Paffett (GB) DTM
    3 Andy Priaulx (GB) ETCC
    4 Marcos Ambrose
    5 Gabriele Tarquini (I) ETCC
    6 Christijan Albers (NL) DTM
    7 Greg Murphy
    8 James Thompson (GB) BTCC
    9 Jason Plato (GB) BTCC
    10 Dirk Muller (D) ETCC
    11 Rickard Rydell (S) ETCC
    12 Jorg Muller (D) ETCC
    13 Rick Kelly
    14 Yvan Muller (F) BTCC
    15 Richard Goransson (S) Swedish TCC
    16 Tom Kristensen (DK) DTM
    17 Russell Ingall
    18 Anthony Reid (GB) BTCC
    19 Bernd Schneider (D) DTM
    20 Jason Bright
    I am the Stig

Hell yer, thats fantastic, good on ya Marcus and Russel, another example of how Australia can do anything
    House said the perfect woman was a man...now im all confused!!

What is a mile long and hasn't had sex?
    - The line for the PS3

Im surprised Murphy rated so highly, i wouldve thought that him and Bright wouldve been the other way around
    I am the Stig

yeah so would i, it is most likely the bathurst wins that pushed him so much further up...

Well perhaps, hes got 4 to his credit, yet no championships. You'd think for such a rating, consistency would rate higher, and thats not something Murphy's exactly known for. Probably a few surprises seeing all the young guns in there and no Mark Skaife
    I am the Stig

Thread Information