Thread: Trasko filters...too good to be true?

Trasko filters...too good to be true?

http://www.trasko-usa.com/

normal filters - filter down to 40 microns

trasko filters - filter down to 1/10 micron

im buying one for my dad for christmas...

ill find out first hand how good they are before i put one in my car
    stereotonin

therefore it would block up to 400 times as much as a normal filter could?!?!? its gotta be bs... major bs

Well, it's certainly not a performance part. At most, it seems like it would only shorten the life of your filter.

If you think about it, normal filters are down to 1/10th of a micron. Well, obviously they're designed like that for a reason. If there was something inherently wrong with their design, then we wouldn't be using the same basic reliable design that we used 50+ years ago.

Big deal, I think these things are totally overrated.

Not too sure about the sound of it mate. Go for K&N they are reliable and give nice performance or if your real nice get him an HKS air filter
    Dont Drink and Drive home Drift and Slide Home

Quote Originally Posted by -datsun 1600-
    Not too sure about the sound of it mate. Go for K&N they are reliable and give nice performance or if your real nice get him an HKS air filter
    He's actually talking about oil filters, which are completely different than air intake filters... but aside from that, a K&N filter would make a nice holiday gift

i've always wanted to know this. what kind of performance change are we talking about if u use a performance air filter such as K&N or cool blue??
    it it notecable without any other upgrades to the car ??
    if possible, refer to a 1994 honda civic Si as an example.
    ----R.I.P----
    "Misho Ratio"
    2003 - 2004

Quote Originally Posted by Misho
    i've always wanted to know this. what kind of performance change are we talking about if u use a performance air filter such as K&N or cool blue??
    it it notecable without any other upgrades to the car ??
    if possible, refer to a 1994 honda civic Si as an example.
    Air filter improvements vary greatly depending on the car. The largest gains I've heard of from air filters was 35hp, for a dual K&N intake system on a 500HP Chevy 350 FI engine. Apperently, the K&N system for my 914 should give around 8-15hp. This, of course, is because the stock one is 30 years old, and is an extremely primiative system.

Unfortunately for the owner of any 1994 Civic Si, modern engines already tend to have pretty advanced intake systems. The "typical" Honda Tuner, whose only engine modifications are headers and an intake, tend to improperly use filters. Often, stock systems will draw air from the wheel well, or draw from another similar source. By putting a new filter directly onto the old intake, you will likely lose power, because now it is sucking in hot engine bay air. If you want to see a true gain, a prefabricated intake system, drawing cooler air from elsewhere, could be used. The problem, though, is that with a modern powerplant, you'll never see a gain of much more than 3-5hp, which you'll never notice...

thats what i suspected.

thanx anyways.
    ----R.I.P----
    "Misho Ratio"
    2003 - 2004

I put a K&N on my Gen III. It probably made it a bit more crisp off the mark but I have never had it Dynoed. A full upgrade on the air intake, as stated, would deliver a more substantial improvement.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

oops sorry about the airfilter-oilfilter confusion

i read somewhere that some airfilters are actually decrease your horsepower than increase and that if you take the airfilter off and put something like a sock on it would give significant gains but will damage your motor
    Dont Drink and Drive home Drift and Slide Home

Quote Originally Posted by -datsun 1600-
    oops sorry about the airfilter-oilfilter confusion

i read somewhere that some airfilters are actually decrease your horsepower than increase and that if you take the airfilter off and put something like a sock on it would give significant gains but will damage your motor
    Well, this makes sense...

Air Filters do, technically, restrict in one form or another. A sock will restrict much less than a filter, but will obviously filter much less. The largest power gain you could get is to loop in cold air from somewhere and then leave the intake wide open. Of course, this is awful for your engine, because nothing is getting filtered.

The fastest way to make coffee is to just dump the grounds into a mug of water. However, it's probably best that you filter those out first

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Nog
    The fastest way to make coffee is to just dump the grounds into a mug of water. However, it's probably best that you filter those out first
    dont be all smart on us now, will ya !!!
    ----R.I.P----
    "Misho Ratio"
    2003 - 2004

Thread Information