Page 5 of 13 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: 20 greatest bands of all time - what do u think.

Best Live Performer: Moe - awesome live jams that are similar to Allman Brothers, with songs that are jammed out to 20-40 minutes long without getting boring at all.

I still can't believe that no one other than me has recognized Les Claypool as being a great or the best bassist other than me. He is the bassist/lead singer for Primus and is absolutely amazing and great. The best drummer in my opinion is Danny Carey from Tool, his skills exceed anything I've heard.
    VIVA FERRARI!!!!!!

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!" ~ Benjamin Franklin

If everything's under control, you're going too slow ~ Mario Andretti

"We can't stop here! This is bat country!" ~ [U]Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: A Savage Journey into the Heart of the American Dream[/U]

Best live act in the world 2day are Muse or the Chili Peppers imho. Les claypool, yer he is good, hes just a mental nutcase.
    House said the perfect woman was a man...now im all confused!!

What is a mile long and hasn't had sex?
    - The line for the PS3

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz_
    Best live act in the world 2day are Muse or the Chili Peppers imho. Les claypool, yer he is good, hes just a mental nutcase.
    Les Claypool, yeah he is a bit weird, especially with his lyrics, but his and Primus' off beat style is what makes them unique and great.
    VIVA FERRARI!!!!!!

"Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy!" ~ Benjamin Franklin

If everything's under control, you're going too slow ~ Mario Andretti

"We can't stop here! This is bat country!" ~ [U]Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas: A Savage Journey into the Heart of the American Dream[/U]

Quote Originally Posted by ScionDriver
    Okay I haven't read all comments but I have not seen anyone mention Bob Dylan (Who's "Like a Rolling Stone" is considered the greatest song of all time by Rolling Stone Magazine and many others) and Neil Young who made Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young great and himself great. These fellows are amazing!
    The thread is probably about bands, so solo singer should not be included. However if you had come up with the Band (never saw it mentioned so far) you could have squeezed Dylan in through the back door
    "I find the whole business of religion profoundly interesting, but it does mystify me that otherwise intelligent people take it seriously." Douglas Adams

Ok Here goes, sorry I can't put them in exact order tho.

Smashing Pumpkins: I think their music was abosolutely fantastic. Songs like Rhinocerous, with a calm peaceful melody with great lyrics and a great tune then at the end blending in some great hard rock. Their album Gish is one of my all time favourite albums.

Jimi Hendrix Experience: Beautiful songs, fantastic lyrics, I dunno if you can call it a band, meh who cares. Jimi really needs no explanation.

The Beatles: Revolutionised music. They again need no explanation. Fantastic songs, i'm personally a fan of Strawberry feilds.

Led Zep: Despite only hearing a few songs, they've established themselves as a great band with awesome sounding songs, with great lyrics and beautiful instrumentals.

The Highway Men: Some of the only country music I like. Nice songs to listen to on a sunny afternoon.

There are alot more but i'm too lazy to write more now. Maybe later...

in no particular order, i would include these bands in my top 20:

Pink floyd
    led zep
    deep purple
    metallica
    AC DC
    beatles
    rolling stones
    RHCP
    U2
    halo 2 - november 9

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Nog
    I think "most talented" is more appropriate to use in this context than "greatest", because it is not nearly as openly-defined. Jimi Hendrix, to me, was a greater musician than Steve Vai is, although Vai is definitly more talented as far as playing goes.

Most Talented Guitarists: Joe Satriani/Steve Vai
    Most Talented Bassists: Billy Sheehan/Jaco Pastorius (RIP)
    Most Talented Drummer: Don't have a very well-rounded knowledge here: Possibly Virgil Donati.

I am personally disgusted to hear Blink182 even being talked about in this thread, but hey, everyone's got their own opinions, and I've got to leave it at that.
    Nice to see I'm not the only person round here that has heard of Satch and Vai. In my opinion Vai is a more talented player for sheer all-out speed, but he hasn't got the sense of melody that Satch posesses. Joe has written loads of seriously beautiful songs (check out 'Cryin'' and 'I Belive' for starters), where most of Steve Vai's song's are more balls-out shred, with less beauty and melody.

What's worrying me is the regular appearance of Pearl Jam and Green Day in people's Top 20s. Yeah they're good, but.. some of the greatest bands of all time?

I don't think Linkin Park deserve to be on there either, althought they are a quite talented group of musicians. They do deserve special commendation though, for being the only band besides P.O.D. that can make me listen to rap
    Cheers,
    -Ads

"We used to come down, doing about 180mph. We take off over the bridge and change down to 4th gear in the air. Go through the righthander with the car drifting, and let it swing out through the lefthander and then slide out to the wall, where we simply stopped it with a flick of the wrists"
    -Vic Elford, on Maison Blanche in a Porsche 917

UCP's Most Hardcore Armchair BTCC Fan & Anthony Reid Supporter

Pink Floyd should be up there in 'Best Live Performances' too.
    TOYNBEE IDEA IN KUBRICK 2001 RESURRECT DEAD ON PLANET JUPITER

Linkin park hasnt been around long enuff in my opinion and too much, way too much jap anime for my liking. Lets never forget taht Jimi Hendrix died before his true talents were really exposed to the world, if he were alive 2day, say by by to Vai, lol cmon u gotta admit hendrix wood kill him if he were alive 2day. Who the hell can play the guitar with thier teeth? only the jim can

- The line for the PS3

Quote Originally Posted by ZerK
    What's worrying me is the regular appearance of Pearl Jam and Green Day in people's Top 20s. Yeah they're good, but.. some of the greatest bands of all time?
    I know what you mean,i debated over wether to put them into my list or not,but personally i think they are in there. Noone will decide on a definative list anyway,for example noones mentioned elvis yet yet hes sold millions upon millions of albums
    owner of the Best avatar!

top 20 BANDS

- The line for the PS3

I came up with 20 greatest bands, my choices are not just based on my personal favourites, but also their influence on the music scene.

In no particular order:

The Who
    Rolling Stones
    Led Zeppelin - tho I despise Stairway to Heaven
    Rush
    Triumph
    The Sex Pistols
    The Clash
    The Dead Kennedys
    Operation Ivy - without this band The Offspring, Green Day, Rancid and many other SKA bands wouldn't exist
    The Ramones
    Red Hot Chili Peppers (Mother's Milk is still my fav.)
    Nirvana
    Rage Against the Machine
    Radiohead
    Jimi Hendrix
    Frank Zappa and the Mothers of Invention
    Van Halen - ONLY the David Lee Roth years
    Metallica - before they sold out
    U2
    Genesis

Best Guitarists: Eric Johnson, Joe Satriani, Rik Emmett, Dickie Betts, Steve Vai, Yngwie Malmsteen - Sorry I couldn't pick 1 fav.

Best Bassist: Flea,Stuart Hamm and Billy Sheehan.

Best Drummers: Neil Peart, Chad Smith ... and to bring back memories to Henk4 and Matra, I'll throw in Buddy Rich (yeah the guy from the "Big Band" era) I don't know if he was ahead of his time, or if we just missed out.

Nice list, but awwwrrr u mist Jimi Hendrix, hed own all of them if he were alive 2day, Music Max had a special show with the top 100 guitarists i think, and Jimi came out number one.

- The line for the PS3

Quote Originally Posted by Blitz_
    Linkin park hasnt been around long enuff in my opinion and too much, way too much jap anime for my liking. Lets never forget taht Jimi Hendrix died before his true talents were really exposed to the world, if he were alive 2day, say by by to Vai, lol cmon u gotta admit hendrix wood kill him if he were alive 2day. Who the hell can play the guitar with thier teeth? only the jim can
    Vai would shred Jimi's ass off. Dude, even I can play guitar with my teeth. Although Hendrix was awesome compared to many guitarists of his time (although presonally I prefer Eric Clapton), modern shredders leave him in their dust.
    Cheers,
    -Ads

"We used to come down, doing about 180mph. We take off over the bridge and change down to 4th gear in the air. Go through the righthander with the car drifting, and let it swing out through the lefthander and then slide out to the wall, where we simply stopped it with a flick of the wrists"
    -Vic Elford, on Maison Blanche in a Porsche 917

UCP's Most Hardcore Armchair BTCC Fan & Anthony Reid Supporter

My list...

Deep Purple (with R Blackmore)
    Jeff Beck
    Stanley Clark
    Urian Heep
    Eagles
    John Lennon and the Plastic Ono Band
    Yes (with early Rick Wakeman)
    Milta
    Candy Dulfer (aside from being a great alto-saxophonist, she's HOT )
    " I am a nobody, and nobody is perfect; therefore, I am perfect."

My bumper sticker "If you can read this...I can slam on my brakes and sue you"

Thread Information