Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Ford Fusion (US 1st gen) 2006-2012

Ford Fusion (US 1st gen) 2006-2012

2006 FORD FUSION DELIVERS BOLD DESIGN, GREAT DRIVING CHARACTER
    2005 NAIAS

"Ford Fusion brings real personality and attitude to the mid-size sedan."
    – Steve Lyons, President, Ford Division

The 2006 Ford Fusion breathes a fresh attitude into the American mid-size car. It distinguishes itself in what is the most competitive of vehicle segments with its standout exterior design and engaging driving dynamics. Fusion brings to the segment good fuel economy, advanced safety, clean emissions and roomy interior space – all at an attractive value.

The Fusion was inspired by the Ford 427 concept.

Fusion's charcoal-black leather interior is one of three unique cabin environments available.

The design of the Fusion was inspired by the Ford 427 concept, a runaway hit with recent auto show crowds.

Fusion takes several design cues from the 427, especially its bold three-bar grille and multi-element projector-beam headlamps. The concept car also inspired Fusion's optional charcoal-black leather interior with contrasting oatmeal-colored seat stitching.

The new Fusion takes a central position between the award-winning Focus and the flagship Five Hundred sedan. As J Mays, group vice president of Design and chief creative officer, puts it, "Even standing still, the Fusion looks like it's ready to burst out of the blocks. The strong, muscular three-bar chrome grille sets the tone for a bold new look that will change the mid-size sedan segment."

ROOMY INTERIOR

Inside, Fusion challenges the class leaders in roominess, including front shoulder room, rear seat legroom and trunk space.

A choice of three distinct interior themes allows customers to personalize their driving environment.

On all models, a variety of high-end features are available, including tilt-and-telescope steering wheel, heated front seats and a six-disc in-dash CD player that also reads MP3-encoded audio discs.

GREAT TO DRIVE

Fusion's well-planted stance conveys its rewarding driving personality.

Satisfying ride and rewarding handling begin with a stiff chassis, and Fusion boasts torsional rigidity 12.7 percent higher than the already outstanding base architecture. This allows the four-wheel independent suspension to absorb driving harshness and respond more precisely to steering inputs.

"The Fusion's steering is responsive and agile," explains Brian Vought, Fusion chief engineer. "We spent a lot of time to get just the right steering feel."

Four-wheel power disc brakes are standard on Fusion, and a 4-sensor, 3-channel anti-lock braking system (ABS) with electronic brake force distribution (EBD) is optional.

Fusion's Duratec 23 I-4 provides great torque and highway fuel economy in the 30s.

Fusion's Duratec 30 V-6 makes 210 hp and is mated to an advanced six-speed automatic transaxle.

The soul of any driver's car is its engine, and Fusion offers a choice of Ford's 2.3-liter Duratec 23 I-4 or 3.0-liter Duratec 30 V-6. Both feature all-aluminum construction, dual overhead cams, four valves per cylinder, intake Variable Cam Timing (i-VCT) and electronic throttle control to deliver smooth, spirited performance, along with good fuel economy and emissions ratings.

The four-cylinder engine delivers 160 horsepower, and can be paired with a five-speed manual or automatic transaxle. Also good news for the environment, the Duratec 23 I-4 will be rated as a Partial Zero Emissions Vehicle (PZEV) in California. It will be the Ford brand's third PZEV application, after the Escape Hybrid and Focus PZEV.

For even more power, there's the 210-horsepower 3.0-liter V-6, which is paired with an advanced six-speed automatic transaxle.

ADVANCED SAFETY TECHNOLOGIES

Fusion benefits from some of the latest safety technologies available – from cutting-edge metallurgy to air bags. For example, the Fusion is designed to meet stringent new side-impact tests.

Fusion's B-pillars are made by welding two blanks of steel end-to-end – resulting in a stronger top of the vehicle and more flexible bottom. This facilitates energy absorption during a crash below the level of the occupants. The strong steel structure at the torso level and above helps prevent intrusion into the passenger compartment.

Inside, Fusion has a long list of advanced safety technologies to protect occupants. They include Ford's Personal Safety System™ with dual deployment front air bags, energy-absorbing safety belts and load-limiting retractors.

PEOPLE AND CARGO CAPABLE

Inside, engineers set out to maximize the spaciousness of Ford's all-new CD3 architecture for all occupants, stretching the width 30 millimeter (1.18 inches) and the length 55 millimeter (2.17 inches) to challenge the class leaders in key interior dimensions such as front shoulder room, rear-seat legroom and trunk space.

Fusion designers also worked hard to ensure passengers can slip into the back seat with ease. In a packaging exercise, the designers even donned size 14 shoes to confirm that someone with that foot size could enter and exit without brushing the B-pillar scuff plate or the back of the front seat. Their goal was achieved by pushing the rear door as far back toward the C-pillar as possible. It's this kind of attention to detail that contributes to the overall package ingenuity of the Fusion, including such standard ergonomic niceties as a height-adjustable driver's seat and a tilt-and-telescope steering wheel.

In addition to carrying people in comfort, Fusion is capable of making quick work of cargo. Its roomy 15.8-cubic-foot trunk boasts a flat load floor and low liftover height with compact decklid hinges that won't crush boxes or groceries. What's more, the rear seats feature a standard 60/40 split and fold-flat function with spring assist, allowing pass-through access to handle extra long items and provide best-in-class storage space.

DIGITAL DEVELOPMENT, SMART MANUFACTURING

The 2006 Ford Fusion is the company's first fully "digital" car. It was completely designed, engineered and tested for manufacture in a digital environment – using the most advanced design tools available for precision, quality and efficiency.

By drawing on these new tools and the company's global product development resources, Fusion's engineering team was able to bring the Fusion to market faster than traditional vehicle-development programs.

ON SALE IN 2005

Fusion is the first vehicle from Ford's new CD3 architecture, which will eventually be the basis for up to ten unique vehicles in North America and approximately 800,000 vehicles annually over time.

Fusion will be built at Ford's Hermosillo Stamping and Assembly Plant in Mexico.

The vehicle will go on sale in the U.S., Canada and Mexico beginning in the fall of 2005.

FUSION LEADS FORD INTO THE FUTURE

Fusion will continue to make news well into the future with significant drivetrain advances.

A year after launch, an optional all-wheel-drive system will be offered.

Later, a hybrid powertrain will be added – making Fusion the fourth full hybrid in the Ford Motor Company stable, following the Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner Hybrid and Mazda Tribute Hybrid.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    I'm going to eat breakfast. And then I'm going to change the world.

Hmmm....competition for lets say the Altima or the Malibu?
    My Site - GTHS

http://www.angelfire.com/ult/gt4hotspot

2006 FORD FUSION: TECHNOLOGY

The Fusion offers a snapshot of some of the latest innovations and best practices currently being utilized within Ford Motor Company. For example, advanced high-strength steels and air bags complete the Fusion's comprehensive safety package designed to meet 2009 crash test standards. In addition, vapor traps, quick-heating catalysts and emissions software help the Duratec 23 to qualify for Partial Zero Emissions Vehicle certification in California.

SAFETY STRUCTURES

Engineers included a number of side-impact elements to meet new Insurance Institute for Highway Safety (IIHS) tests. For example, the B-pillars feature two different grades of high-strength steel seamlessly welded end-to-end. The upper section – from just below the beltline upward – is more rigid to help prevent intrusion into the passenger compartment. The lower section is designed to be more pliable, deforming progressively to help direct energy under the cabin. The B-pillars are attached to fully boxed rocker panels, again helping to direct energy under the occupant compartment.

In addition, the B-pillars also contribute to improved rollover protection. In fact, the Fusion is expected to surpass roof strength standards that do not go into effect until 2009.

The front and rear doors each have two foam blocks between the steel inner door panel and the interior door trim at hip and chest level. The foam block at hip level is approximately two inches thick for maximum crushability. Interior trim parts are also designed to "give" if struck by an occupant's head, torso or hip.

ADVANCED AIR BAGS

Fusion comes standard with front air bags, front-seat thorax air bags and two-row side curtain air bags are optional.

Fusion also offers a package of side air bags that includes seat-deployed torso bags for front occupants and two-row air curtains that provide head-protection coverage from A-pillar to C-pillar.

The new air curtains feature "roll-fold" technology designed to slide between the glass and occupant as the bag fills. Typical side-curtain air bags unfold like an accordion, using the occupant's head to keep the bag between the glass and the body. Ford's roll-fold keeps the side curtain against the glass, even when the occupant is out of position.

To tailor the inflation level of the front passenger air bag, four "load cells" – which are like miniature electronic scales in the support structure of the front passenger seat – determine whether the seat is occupied. Using a logic circuit that factors in weight on the seat, crash severity and whether the safety belt is being used, the onboard safety computer determines whether to deploy the passenger air bag at all and at what level.

On the driver's side, deployment of the steering-wheel-mounted air bag is tailored to the seat-track position, which takes account of the driver's distance from the steering wheel, as well as crash severity and safety belt usage.

AN EYE ON THE ENVIRONMENT

Engineers also turned to technology to protect the environment. The Duratec 23 I-4 will be rated as a Partial Zero Emissions Vehicle (PZEV) in states that have adopted California's emissions regulations. It will be the Ford brand's third PZEV application, after the Escape Hybrid and Focus PZEV.

PZEV emission levels are achieved by a number of mechanical changes. A ported electronic thermactor air pump injects metered thermactor air into the intake manifold. The warmer air and additional oxygen enable more combustion and decrease the amount of unconsumed gasoline in the system. In addition, recycling cold-start exhaust back through the engine provides a second opportunity to trap emissions after the catalysts reach operating temperature.

To help the catalysts reach operating temperature faster, the team installed a stainless steel, dual-walled manifold that heats up faster than the standard Duratec 23 cast-iron manifold.

Finally, the engine calibration is modified to decrease initial cold-start emissions, one of the key contributors to overall emissions.

The Duratec 30 V-6 will meet LEV II evaporative standards in federal states and ULEV II tailpipe emissions in California.

In a later model year, Ford will offer Fusion with a hybrid powertrain – making it the fourth full hybrid in the Ford Motor Company stable, following the Ford Escape Hybrid, Mercury Mariner Hybrid and Mazda Tribute Hybrid.

2006 FORD FUSION: BUSINESS

"Before we ever built a Fusion in the factory, we already had built the car in a virtual factory. This will allow Fusion to come to market more quickly and with higher quality." – Phil Martens, Group Vice President, Product Creation

The 2006 Fusion is the first vehicle from Ford's new global CD3 architecture. Eventually, this architecture will serve as the basis for up to ten unique vehicles in North America. Over time, these vehicles will account for up to 800,000 vehicles annually.

Ford developed the Fusion as the company's first "digital" car.

"These steps allowed us to slash months out of the product development process, saving money and bringing the Fusion to market more quickly," said Brian Vought, Fusion chief engineer. "We will also be able to bring other CD3-based vehicles to market more quickly."

DIGITAL CAR, ELECTRONIC FACTORY, VIRTUAL WORKERS

Fusion was completely designed, engineered and tested for manufacture in a digital environment using the most advanced design tools available for precision, quality and efficiency. At the heart of this process was computerized "virtual build," which tested every phase of the design to help assure proper fit and tight tolerances and provide leading torsional rigidity.

Supercomputing power let Fusion engineers build an entire car in an exact duplicate of the assembly plant without stamping a single piece of sheet metal. In the process, they identified and implemented more than 300 ways to improve such things as vehicle fit-and-finish, tool clearances and ergonomics on the production line.

Fusion represents Ford's most complete use to date of what engineers call "virtual build." It includes every phase of the assembly process, including the paint shop.

"This really made us focus on the way the car would be built," said Pat Villerot of Ford Vehicle Operations. "We were able to check clearances in the vehicle, verify the build sequence and prove out ergonomics for the plant workers. For example, we could simulate building the car at a certain height on the assembly line, and use virtual people who are representative of our plant workers to make sure this was the proper height."

This process contributes to quality, as well. As an example, if the virtual build indicates that a change is needed in a stamping, the "new" stamping can be inserted and the process run again to confirm that it doesn't have any unintended negative consequences. Villerot's group found one such instance.

"We learned that the production line layout in the virtual plant dictated that the brake lines be installed in a particular order," he said. "We asked the engineering team to make a small change in the way the lines overlapped and solved a potential production problem.

"In the past, you couldn't address these issues until you built a prototype," Villerot said. "Now you can make changes when you're still at the planning stage. It's much more efficient."

Lessons learned during the virtual build were then confirmed in building the first prototypes at Ford's New Model Program Development Center, using production employees from the assembly plant in Hermosillo, Mexico where Fusion will be produced. During this phase, the workers helped to write the work descriptions that will be used in the plant once assembly begins. This is another step in improving quality because it assures that processes are well understood and followed.

The Hermosillo Stamping & Assembly Plant in the state of Sonora in northern Mexico opened in 1986. Hermosillo covers more than 1.5 million square feet and employs more than 1,500 people.

Fusion benefits from Ford Motor Company's global powertrain program. The 2.3-liter Duratec 23 I-4 and the 3.0-liter Duratec 30 V-6 used in Fusion are shared with a number of other vehicles around the world. By relying on existing and well-regarded powertrains, Fusion is able to reach market sooner than if all-new engines had been specified.

Engines for the Fusion will come from two sources.

The Duratec 23 I-4 will be produced at the Chihuahua Engine Plant. Situated in the state of Chihuahua, also in northern Mexico, the plant opened in 1983. It employs approximately 1,000 people and covers more than 1.1 million square feet.

Fusion's Duratec 30 V-6 will come from Cleveland Engine Plant #2 in Brook Park, Ohio. Covering nearly 1.5 million square feet, it opened in 1955 and provides employment for more than 1,500.

Fusion will go on sale in the U.S., Mexico and Canada in the fall of 2005. A year after launch, an optional all-wheel-drive system will be made available. In a later model year, Fusion also will be offered with a hybrid powertrain, making it the fourth full hybrid in the Ford Motor Company range. The first three hybrids are the Ford Escape Hybrid, the Mercury Mariner Hybrid and the Mazda Tribute Hybrid.

Fusion is expected to define and occupy a "sweet spot" for the mid-size sedan segment by providing an exceptional blend of design, packaging, efficiency and performance attributes.

Ford Fusion #4

Sorry about the inturpet there Matt! WOW that interior fit and finish looks actually pretty good! Seems look excellent!
    My Site - GTHS

http://www.angelfire.com/ult/gt4hotspot

Ford Fusion #5

Looks like a nice classy rep-mobile.

Get used to this face, inspired by the 427 concept, Because it's the new corporate look of all Fords.

And it's not half bad! a bit more detailing might help, but it's certainly classy and elegant, if a bit dull. The front is the most interesting aspect of the car......
    <cough> www.charginmahlazer.tumblr.com </cough>

I think the taillights are way too IS300, but overall I like the design.

It's much better than the Five Hundred, but it looks similar. Weird how the details can change the overall picture......

It's smaller than the Five-Hundred, between it and the Focus. I guess if this is Ford's new face, it should look similar...

this is the first product with the new face, the Five Hundred and FreeStyle were too far into their design processes to get the new face, so they'll just have to be facelifted.

It's not going to work well when it's scaled down, unfortunately. Little Focus' and Ford Ka's will look hilarious with a big bluff front!

Well, doesn't it already look similar to the Euro Focus?

Not really.....

The grille is really different (thats one of the main features of the design) and the Headlights are a different shape.

http://www.km77.com/marcas/ford/focu...-p/galeria.asp

Thread Information