Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Purpose of Twin Superchargers?

Purpose of Twin Superchargers?

I seen a twin supercharged Modena on a magazine cover and was wondering...What is the purpose/advantage of having twin superchargers? My logic tells me it's wasteful.

depends what type of supercharger

Quote Originally Posted by KnifeEdge_2K1
    Belt driven supercharger, if that's what you mean. If it isn't, than explain.

Quote Originally Posted by KnifeEdge_2K1
    Considering how mechanically intelligent you claim to be, I would expect more than an answer like that from you.

If you look at the way that the inakes are setup on the Modena, it looks like two smaller superchargers would be an easier way to plumb everything and fit it tightly under the engine glass. That's only one possibility. Do you have any more information on this Modena?

i can see the point on a V8 if you have screw chargers- you could have one per bank, not so sure about the roots type, and you could do a twin centrifugal setup (have seen this on a Viper 10,

Roots, Centrifugal and Screw- all there from superchargesonline-

http://www.superchargersonline.com/content.asp?ID=76

hope that helps
    UCP's Most Hardcore 2 Door Performance Car Freak

UCP's Most Hardcore Fitness Freak

Im Going To Be A Millionare At 17

Argue Me If You Want ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Egg Nog
    Considering how mechanically intelligent you claim to be, I would expect more than an answer like that from you.
    I gave an answer like that because I don't know how mechanically intelligent you people are. Some people label "turbochargers" and "superchargers" the same, and I thought maybe "knifeedge" wanted to know if it was a "belt driven" supercharger or "exhaust turbine" supercharger. Some people call turbos "turbine superchargers".

I'm just trying to feel you people out, that's all. Stop throwing hidden insults at me. I might get mad.

Quote Originally Posted by What
    I gave an answer like that because I don't know how mechanically intelligent you people are. Some people label "turbochargers" and "superchargers" the same, and I thought maybe "knifeedge" wanted to know if it was a "belt driven" supercharger or "exhaust turbine" supercharger. Some people call turbos "turbine superchargers".

I'm just trying to feel you people out, that's all. Stop throwing hidden insults at me. I might get mad.
    No hard feelings! I wasn't talking to you!

You'll notice that I quoted KnifeEdge

lol, thats a good mis understanding

Argue Me If You Want ^^

was it by chance the Novitec Rosso 360 Modena? If so, it is twin supercharged, they use a pair of centrifugal serperchargers - one for each bank of cylinders, and they also have an intercooler for each one... (air-to-air or air-to-water, I have no idea) with the whole set up they get something like 606 horsepower out of it...
    ...Utah! Get me two...

nnnnniiiiiiiiiiccccceeeeeeeeeee

Argue Me If You Want ^^

Quote Originally Posted by What
    I seen a twin supercharged Modena on a magazine cover and was wondering...What is the purpose/advantage of having twin superchargers? My logic tells me it's wasteful.
    Same as twin turbo i guess. More boost, more response. Could be a whole lot of other things to do with it as well. If youve got a V setup, you can have one for each bank
    I am the Stig

I just have one thing to say...

glooghhhh....*drools*, twin supercharged Modena....sweet
    Most wanted cars:

Ford GT, Aston Martin DB9, Nissan Skyline R-34 V-Spec II, 2004 SVT Cobra Mustang, VW Golf R32, TVR Cerbera 4.5, Ford Focus RS, Aston Martin Vanquish S

Still waiting.....Shelby Cobra, Shelby GR1, 2006 Ford Lightning, Next generation SVT Mustang Cobra 2006? Mazda Speed RX8

well if it was a centrifugal type super charger (not roots or any type of positive displacement supercharger) then two smaller super chargers might be more advantagous the same reason as why a twin turbo setup is sometiems more advantagous then one big one, because they can spool up faster (reducing blower drag/turbo lag) while still maintaining high boost (if it was sequential and not parellel) similar to a big blower

also the 360's engine bay isnt the roomiest in the world and from what pictures i have there is more room on the sides which justifies the use of a twin parellel setup

anyways there's a word for it but i dont remember where in V or flat config engines where one bank powers the charger for the opposite bank but thats only relevent in turbo charging applications because super chargers source energy from the crank

oh yeah, they prolly dont use an intercooler in a modena because of it's design

intercooler up front would be too small to do anygood and the piping required would mean lower manafold pressure and more drag in the intake flow

and you cant really put it in the back because as far as i know the rear hatch doesnt allow air into the engine bay other then through the side intakes

Thread Information