Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: F1 Technology Overrated?

Quote Originally Posted by What
    The McLaren F1 used a fan underneath it to help improve downforce. That's creative. Flat is so gimmicky.
    The McLaren used WHAT???

Dreaming about Chaparral a lot aren´t you...
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

Quote Originally Posted by ruim20
    The McLaren used WHAT???

The Brabham BT46B.

Designed by GORDON MURRAY - but not a McLaren
    and banned very quickly as an illegal aero aid -despite all of Gordon's claims that it was only for cooling
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

yeah, a great f1 car and a great progress, but Chaparral was using those fans some years before.

They say bernie eclestone as those f1s
    Last edited by ruim20; 01-22-2005 at 05:59 AM.
    "Religious belief is the “path of least resistance”, says Boyer, while disbelief requires effort."

yeah, a great f1 car and a great progress, but Chaparral was using those fans some years before.
    Yep, I was only commenting on the F1 because of the McLaren link.
    1970 saw jim Hall at Chapparal do it in a seriously BIG way - just as they had also taken wings to the extreme.
    Here's the 2J driven by Scotsman () Jackie Stewart ..

They say bernie eclestone as those f1s
    I remembered that they weren't actuall banned. Accordign to that years F1 books, Bernie withdrew the car as the complaints arrived - so he accepted they weren't to the rules. So it stands as the only F1 car to win in it's first race and to have a 100% record
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Isn't F1 nice! Shoping your legs of an inch every year... hmm hmm, i just dont get one thing, why don´t they add wheight to the cars, like in JGTC, or FIA GT, or ETCC, wouldn't that keep the races a bit more fun, instead of looking at the tv and forgeting about the guy that's in first place and finding more interesting the fights for second?

My ideia of formula one would be very diferente, a small group of rules, principal rules, and everything else would come out of the designers and enginers creativity. Faster cars, more tecnology, a real F1... isnt it supost to be the pinacle of motorsports?

They HAVE added weight to the cars, ruim.

Most cars run with upwards of 100kg of EXTRA weight to meet the minimum weight of the formula

Personally I don't favour weight as a restriction as adding more weight slows down accelaration, braking and cornering. More mass also makes for more danger as any accident is carrying more energy The proposals for 2008 are to DROP the weight by 50k fofr safety.

I'd prefer a simple power formula - sayy 600hp and nothing else. Have as many wheels as you want. Deliver the power any way you want. Small W16, turbo, big V8, whatever. NO driver aids, no launch, no abs, no paddle-shift. make it so the driver has to DRIVE and then the designers have the challenge of delivering a vehicel which can be steered and change gear and slip the clutch all at the drivers control and not reliant on somethign else.

IT's all got to much lice scalextric. Drivers push the throttle to go faster and not much else

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    The Brabham BT46B.
    Designed by GORDON MURRAY - but not a McLaren
    and banned very quickly as an illegal aero aid -despite all of Gordon's claims that it was only for cooling
    yes, it was used only in one race

I'd prefer a simple power formula - sayy 600hp and nothing else.
    i'd make it different - 2 litre engine and do what you want
    i think using abs and all that stuff is smart, they weren't using it earlier because it wasn't invented by this time, instead of this they were using some different things from their newest technologies i believe,
    all these things make f1 safer too, i think
    Last edited by dydzi; 01-22-2005 at 03:00 PM.

I disagree, ABS doesn't make things safer over all.
    Drivers RELY on the ABS and brake deeper and later, so any failure of the ABS or lack of grip through say a puncture makes it a LOT worse incident.
    Same with traction.
    ABS was invented YEARS ago, course they wanted to use it

I'd prefer a simple power formula - sayy 600hp and nothing else. Have as many wheels as you want. Deliver the power any way you want. Small W16, turbo, big V8, whatever. NO driver aids, no launch, no abs, no paddle-shift. make it so the driver has to DRIVE and then the designers have the challenge of delivering a vehicel which can be steered and change gear and slip the clutch all at the drivers control and not reliant on somethign else.
    In other words like it was "back in the day".

An interesting idea, which I'd like to see, but as you'll probably remember better than I, the teams will just end up copying the cars with the best "formula" for success, and we'll end up with the identi-grid we have today.

First it was tubular chassis, then mid-engined, then wings, then DFVs, then monocoques, turbos, all the electronics of the early 90s, raised nose cones, exhausts exiting out of the top of the sidepods, etc...
    Thanks for all the fish

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    In other words like it was "back in the day".

An interesting idea, which I'd like to see, but as you'll probably remember better than I, the teams will just end up copying the cars with the best "formula" for success, and we'll end up with the identi-grid we have today.

First it was tubular chassis, then mid-engined, then wings, then DFVs, then monocoques, turbos, all the electronics of the early 90s, raised nose cones, exhausts exiting out of the top of the sidepods, etc...
    Selective memory for all the GOOD ideas that got copied.

Back then F1 cars all looked radically different.
    STP with it's mono-pod-front-wing.
    Brabham tried surface radiaotors on the angled slopes of the side of the body.
    Tyrrel with the shovel nose and then the hammer-heaad shark nose.
    Front radiators, side radiators, REAR radiators

The drawback nowadays is that just liek our street cars are designed and optimised on computers and so all start to look the same, then I'm afraid it WOUDL be true regardless of what was tried that all cars will start tolook similar.

Sadly, the days of innovation because of crazy ideas from Colin Chapman, en Tyrrel et al are long gone

For example, the raised nose we are all used to now. When Tyrrel first did it EVERYONE assumed the benefit was in the aero of the nose and spent lots of time in wind tunnels trying to find the benefits Tyrrel were getting and they couldn't. Turned out that althought the radical looking part was the raised noise and dihedral front wing, the REAL win was the side pods were 50% smaller and hence LESS drag. Today a computer and some dynamic fluid modelling would show it up right away. A couple of seasons back they were messing with people minds with the dihedral REAR wing. Everyone was trying to find out why Williams persevered with it. They were doing it to tie up other teams wind tunnel time

The McLaren used WHAT???

Don't ever doubt my knowledge. I'll slap you.

Quote Originally Posted by MclarenCars.com
    ...The car incorporates many world firsts for a road car: a fully carbon fibre monocoque structure, fully active fan-assisted ground effect aerodynamics, a central driving position with two offset rear passenger seats...

Well Matra, if they didnt have so many engine suppliers, they could try a control ECU idea to try get rid of electronic aids, but i think it'd be alot of work right now to try and do it with Ferrari, Mercedes, BMW, Toyota, Honda, Renault and Cosworth engines being used.
    I am the Stig

Quote Originally Posted by What
    Don't ever doubt my knowledge. I'll slap you.
    your back hahaha
    He came dancing across the water
    With his galleons and guns
    Looking for the new world
    In that palace in the sun
    On the shore lay Montezuma
    With his cocoa leaves and pearls

what, you must have really long arms. you a radioactive defect or something?
    "I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring" - Richard Feynman, last recorded words.

Quote Originally Posted by CdocZ
    what, you must have really long arms. you a radioactive defect or something?
    Everything I got is long.

Thread Information