65. You may not vote on this poll
  • American

21 32.31%
  • European

44 67.69%
Page 13 of 39 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: American Cars VS European Cars

Quote Originally Posted by Fleet 500
    I didn't say America invented those things, I said America perfected them and the Japanese copied them. No arrogance here.
    interesting use of the english langauge

Explain the differences in "perfected" and "copied" ?

ROFLMAO PS: While you're at it can you point me to where you said ANTHING about perfecting ????
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Some inventions:
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Fleet 500; 03-30-2005 at 03:59 PM.
    '76 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy-Five Limousine, '95 Lincoln Town Car.

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    interesting use of the english langauge

Explain the differences in "perfected" and "copied" ?

ROFLMAO PS: While you're at it can you point me to where you said ANTHING about perfecting ????
    Lol.
    Perfecting= United States
    Copying= Japan

I figured you would know what I meant; I guess not.

Some inventions:
    Nice list, do you know if there are any bigger versions?

Incidentally, Thomas Edison was awarded 1,328 separate and distinct patents.

Quote Originally Posted by RS6
    Nice list, do you know if there are any bigger versions?
    Bigger? Do you mean more thorough?
    I scanned one of my encyclopedias.
    I would do a "Google" search, but there are some people here who criticize people who do "Google" searches!

I would do a "Google" search, but there are some people here who criticize people who do "Google" searches!
    In size first, then on to thoroughness. I think it is better if I can read it properly first.

I don't think I would want that encyclopedia in my collection.

The Wright brothers "invented" the aeroplane? No they didn't.

They made the first successful flight in a powered one, but they didn't "invent" it.

Da Vinci had quite a few ideas on the matter for starters...
    Thanks for all the fish

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    I don't think I would want that encyclopedia in my collection.

The Wright brothers "invented" the aeroplane? No they didn't.

They made the first successful flight in a powered one, but they didn't "invent" it.
    But they did build the airplane that they flew in. (Well, only one of them actually flew it.)

Quote Originally Posted by RS6
    In size first, then on to thoroughness. I think it is better if I can read it properly first.
    Okay, I'll resize it.

Some inventions:
    Sorry Fleet, but that is a WAY simplified list.

It's laughable.

FOR EXAMPLE.

the inventer of KODAK was Eastman.

You don't say.

BUt a Kodak is a CAMERA and the first camera image was created by Joseph Nicéphore Niépce (French) and later perfected by Daguerrotpye (French)

That bok you've scanned is clearly a simple Janet-and_john kiddies book that is meant to inflate American egos rather than provide facts.

As already stated, American inventions anre many and proud and soesn't need inflation and mistruths.

BTW, you REALLY miss the point of sarcasm don't you.

So ket me REPEAET it what is the DIFFERENCE bettween the Americn "perfecting" and the Japanese "copying".

I'l give you a hint, Japanese products generally were always better and hence the original could NOT have been perfect.

Please have the honesty to accept that all nations and inventors over the years have copied ideas and improvide on them. It is NOT a nationalistic issue, except the Japanese applied modern techniques to vastly improve performance and price !! Just as the Victorians did in the days of the British Empire A

LSO, Lee Forest did NOT invent the vacuum tube. HE invented the TRIODE - one particular usage of electric vacuum tubes. Edison found that he could detect electrons flowing through the vacuum from the lighted filament to a metal plate mounted inside the bulb. This discovery subsequently became known as the Edison Effect. BUT Edison did not develop this particular finding any further, but an English physicist, John Ambrose Fleming, discovered that the Edison Effect could also be used to detect radio waves and to convert them to electricity. Fleming went on to develop a two-element vacuum tube known as diode.
    So you either pick Edison as discovering it and not realising what it coudl be used for, ot Fleming for discovering it. Lee Forest "copied" Fleming's work

and while we're comparing the "quality" of that reference let's just remind of TWO things.
    The tyre was NOT invented by Dunlop, it was REDISCOVERED from an earlier invention. AND Dunlop was born a Scotsman and moved to Belfast to work !!
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 03-30-2005 at 04:50 PM.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

But they did build the airplane that they flew in. (Well, only one of them actually flew it.)
    So if that perfecting or copying ??

We seem to be agreed it is NOT inventing as it seems a New Zealander is now accetped to have flown his plane earlier

But we digress, as Wright brothers deserve their place for the perseverance and effort put in to their success.

And some people who dont read them anyway.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

So let me REPEAT it what is the DIFFERENCE bettween the Americn "perfecting" and the Japanese "copying".
    Simple you fool, America are the good guys and Japan are the bad guys.
    "A string is approximately nine long."
    Egg Nogg 02-04-2005, 05:07 AM

Sorry Fleet, but that is a WAY simplified list.

It's laughable.

FOR EXAMPLE.

the inventer of KODAK was Eastman.

You don't say.

BUt a Kodak is a CAMERA and the first camera image was created by Joseph Nicéphore Niépce (French) and later perfected by Daguerrotpye (French)

That bok you've scanned is clearly a simple Janet-and_john kiddies book that is meant to inflate American egos rather than provide facts.

As already stated, American inventions anre many and proud and soesn't need inflation and mistruths.

BTW, you REALLY miss the point of sarcasm don't you.

So ket me REPEAET it what is the DIFFERENCE bettween the Americn "perfecting" and the Japanese "copying".

I'l give you a hint, Japanese products generally were always better and hence the original could NOT have been perfect.

Please have the honesty to accept that all nations and inventors over the years have copied ideas and improvide on them. It is NOT a nationalistic issue, except the Japanese applied modern techniques to vastly improve performance and price !! Just as the Victorians did in the days of the British Empire A

LSO, Lee Forest did NOT invent the vacuum tube. HE invented the TRIODE - one particular usage of electric vacuum tubes. Edison found that he could detect electrons flowing through the vacuum from the lighted filament to a metal plate mounted inside the bulb. This discovery subsequently became known as the Edison Effect. BUT Edison did not develop this particular finding any further, but an English physicist, John Ambrose Fleming, discovered that the Edison Effect could also be used to detect radio waves and to convert them to electricity. Fleming went on to develop a two-element vacuum tube known as diode.
    So you either pick Edison as discovering it and not realising what it coudl be used for, ot Fleming for discovering it. Lee Forest "copied" Fleming's work

and while we're comparing the "quality" of that reference let's just remind of TWO things.
    The tyre was NOT invented by Dunlop, it was REDISCOVERED from an earlier invention. AND Dunlop was born a Scotsman and moved to Belfast to work !!
    You'll have to take up the accracy of the list with the author (Bertha Morris Parker, University of Chicago Research, Chicago Natural History Museum). If the author is still alive, that is.

Japanese products were far inferior in the '50s and '60s, which is when they started to copy American products.
    And, even today, the old American products typically last longer than today's. For instance, my parent's freezer lasted from 1959 to 1991.
    You buy something like a portable radio today, and they don't last near as long as old ones (I still have a working, early '60s Sears radio in the garage).

Thread Information