View Poll Results: Which is cooler (not better)

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Vikings

17 58.62%
  • Pirates

12 41.38%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pirates vs. Vikings

Pirates vs. Vikings

from elsewhere meforgets

Forget the pirate vs. ninja debate. It's antiquated, and there aren't enough parallels. They work on totally different planes, so a fair comparison is next to impossible.

No one remembers vikings, and they are similar to pirates in so many ways that direct comparison is possible. So that's what I'm going to attempt to do.

- -

First off, vikings were the original badasses. They plied their trade a full 600+ years before pirates even thought about being pirates. So +1 point vikings.

Appearance: Let's face it, both pirates and vikings look hard as hell. Vikings, on the one hand, wear animal skins and leather boots and stuff. Their beards are rocking, royally. They are sooo bling bling with all their rings and armlets and other various shiny metal things they have absconded with. They have HORN HELMETS for Christ's sake, and carry around battle axes. So they clearly take this category, right? No. Pirates have the whole "dignified rapscallion" look going on sometimes, and sometimes they wear straight rags. Eye patches rock, as do anchor tattoos. The beards are at LEAST as rocking as vikings. But they are still losing at this point. That is until you remember the hook hands and peg-legs. It's over. +1 point for both pirates and vikings.

Spoils of war: Both pirates and vikings spent way too much time thinking about treasure. They both sailed the high seas in search for gold for the hoarding. You may think that vikings take this category easily because:
    1) Vikings don't plunder, they pillage and sack. These words are cooler, as are the actual actions. Boarding a merchant ship just isn't as cool as raiding a monestary.
    2) As previously mentioned, vikings melt down their loot and create jewelry to wear INTO BATTLE. Rock solid.
    But then you realize that #2 is negated because pirates trade their plunder for Rum and prostitutes, which is awesome. Drinking rum in a ship at sea isn't as cool as drinking MEAD in a longhouse, but it's close, so we'll let that slide. At this point vikings are still ahead because they attack monks where they live. That is forgotten, however, as soon as you remember that more often than not, pirates BURY their treasure. So while vikings know what they want and why they want it, pirates just steal for the hell of it. They don't even know what's going on. They stay so drunk that stealing gold doubloons just to bury them makes perfect sense. +1 point pirates.

Vikings have mythology and pirates don't. Mythology is wicked sweet. +1 point vikings.

Viking women have beards. -1 point vikings.

Transportation: Pirate ships are cool, there is no doubt. All the cannons are ferocious, and the huge wheel is comical. Also they fly skull and crossbone flags, and they have a crow's nest and people randomly climbing in the rigging ALL THE TIME. Come on, how badass is that. But vikings have longboats, which travel the same high seas as the pirates except they are much smaller and low to the water. Vikings have madd plums for doing that; they are never scared. They have shields on the side, which is cool for some reason, and they'll drive them anywhere, like up rivers and stuff. So pirates and vikings are pretty much tied at this point. In the end it all comes down to prow adornment. Pirates have women on the front of their ships which is all fine and well. I'm not gonna hate on that. But vikings have DRAGONS, and dragons can steal women with ease and take them back to a cave and put them in a cage of gold. Dragons are > women in that sense. +1 point vikings.

Avian allies: Pirates have parrots, which at first may seem cool. But parrots don't shut the hell up, and have a nasty habit of spilling secrets. Also they are all rainbow colored, which is totally not what pirates are about. Parrots constantly want crackers, too. Vikings have ravens, on the other hand, which scout ahead and tell you how scared the monks are of you. Plus they are solid black all over. Hardcore. +1 point vikings.

Treasure maps are really awesome, with the "X marks the spot" thing and all, but so are ancestral rune stones. +1 point for both pirates and vikings

Fighting style: Vikings fighting style is pretty elite. I mean come on, they have war hammers. You can't hate on that. Plus they kill unarmed peasantry, and everyone gets cloven by battleaxes. "Cloven" is a cool word, especially when coupled with the word "asunder". And they go berserk a lot, which is a bonus. But pirates have daggers. This in itself isn't particularly amazing, but pirates carry them in their mouths, which is neat. "Rapier" is a cool word, which counteracts cloven, and "mutiny" nullifies "asunder". Obviously cannons are a big part of any pirates haphazard arsenal, and cannons are rad-ass. This still isn't as cool as vikings though, until you remember the flintlock single shot pistols. Repeating arms were unknown to pirates, so they simply carried shear numbers of flintlock pistols in their belt. Grab one, fire it, become enveloped in a cloud of gunpowder smoke, drop it to the deck, grab another, repeat. OMG, the awesome. +1 point pirates.

Names: This is no contest. Come on, which sounds cooler, "Red Beard" or "Hrothgar Hammerhelm". Damn right. +1 point vikings.

Pirates need another point SOLELY for peg-legs and hook-hands. And striped stockings.+1 point pirates.

+1 million points for both pirates and vikings for being SO OUTLANDISHLY AWESOME AT ALL TIMES.

Ok, so that brings the final tally to:

PIRATES: 1,000,005
    VIKINGS: 1,000,006

So it's official. While pirates are certainly spectacular at inspiring awe, Vikings are just a little more amazing.
    badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger

Oh, I thought you meant the Baseball Pirates and the NFL Vikings! You can't compare the two I thought. LOL.
    "NEVER ALLOW SOMEONE TO BE YOUR PRIORITY, WHILE ALLOWING YOURSELF TO BE THEIR OPTION"

Yarrrr. Pirates we be.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

The things we do for girls who won't sleep with us.

Patrick says:
    dads is too long so it wont fit
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Vikings own.

My HS's mascot was a pirate... "With our flag of black and scarlet, we'll lead the Pirate band..."

Sadly the school doesn't even exist any more. One school in town burned down and they took over our building and claimed everything for themselves including the mascot.

One more thing.. Vikings didn't use prostitutes, because they just raped as they pillaged. Cheaper that way, see. Vikings: the original wenchers.

Wenchers: People who undertake in the pastime of wenching.

Wenching: Well.. that should be obvious by now.

I'm sorry, I'm from Wisconsin, so, in order not to be mutilated, I must vote 'pirates.' Now where are the meat packers?
    TOYNBEE IDEA IN KUBRICK 2001 RESURRECT DEAD ON PLANET JUPITER

Car comparison?
    You can only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent.

Quote Originally Posted by blackcat77
    My HS's mascot was a pirate... "With our flag of black and scarlet, we'll lead the Pirate band..."

Sadly the school doesn't even exist any more. One school in town burned down and they took over our building and claimed everything for themselves including the mascot.
    how mutinous yargh, we shall claim it back, set sail for anderson indiana

honestly, that sucks
    Quote Originally Posted by andy.muc
    Car comparison?
    We had a comparison of ships
    badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger badger

Quote Originally Posted by d-quik
    We had a comparison of ships
    Isn't the Miscellaneous forum the right place for non-car-comparisons?

BTW i would still vote for the ninjas.
    You can only get smarter by playing a smarter opponent.

Elswick, England (Home of the world famous Bonds' Ice Cream!)
    Quote Originally Posted by d-quik
    from elsewhere meforgets

Forget the pirate vs. ninja debate. It's antiquated, and there aren't enough parallels. They work on totally different planes, so a fair comparison is next to impossible.

No one remembers vikings, and they are similar to pirates in so many ways that direct comparison is possible. So that's what I'm going to attempt to do.

- -

First off, vikings were the original badasses. They plied their trade a full 600+ years before pirates even thought about being pirates. So +1 point vikings.

Appearance: Let's face it, both pirates and vikings look hard as hell. Vikings, on the one hand, wear animal skins and leather boots and stuff. Their beards are rocking, royally. They are sooo bling bling with all their rings and armlets and other various shiny metal things they have absconded with. They have HORN HELMETS for Christ's sake, and carry around battle axes. So they clearly take this category, right? No. Pirates have the whole "dignified rapscallion" look going on sometimes, and sometimes they wear straight rags. Eye patches rock, as do anchor tattoos. The beards are at LEAST as rocking as vikings. But they are still losing at this point. That is until you remember the hook hands and peg-legs. It's over. +1 point for both pirates and vikings.

Spoils of war: Both pirates and vikings spent way too much time thinking about treasure. They both sailed the high seas in search for gold for the hoarding. You may think that vikings take this category easily because:
    1) Vikings don't plunder, they pillage and sack. These words are cooler, as are the actual actions. Boarding a merchant ship just isn't as cool as raiding a monestary.
    2) As previously mentioned, vikings melt down their loot and create jewelry to wear INTO BATTLE. Rock solid.
    But then you realize that #2 is negated because pirates trade their plunder for Rum and prostitutes, which is awesome. Drinking rum in a ship at sea isn't as cool as drinking MEAD in a longhouse, but it's close, so we'll let that slide. At this point vikings are still ahead because they attack monks where they live. That is forgotten, however, as soon as you remember that more often than not, pirates BURY their treasure. So while vikings know what they want and why they want it, pirates just steal for the hell of it. They don't even know what's going on. They stay so drunk that stealing gold doubloons just to bury them makes perfect sense. +1 point pirates.

Vikings have mythology and pirates don't. Mythology is wicked sweet. +1 point vikings.

Viking women have beards. -1 point vikings.

Transportation: Pirate ships are cool, there is no doubt. All the cannons are ferocious, and the huge wheel is comical. Also they fly skull and crossbone flags, and they have a crow's nest and people randomly climbing in the rigging ALL THE TIME. Come on, how badass is that. But vikings have longboats, which travel the same high seas as the pirates except they are much smaller and low to the water. Vikings have madd plums for doing that; they are never scared. They have shields on the side, which is cool for some reason, and they'll drive them anywhere, like up rivers and stuff. So pirates and vikings are pretty much tied at this point. In the end it all comes down to prow adornment. Pirates have women on the front of their ships which is all fine and well. I'm not gonna hate on that. But vikings have DRAGONS, and dragons can steal women with ease and take them back to a cave and put them in a cage of gold. Dragons are > women in that sense. +1 point vikings.

Avian allies: Pirates have parrots, which at first may seem cool. But parrots don't shut the hell up, and have a nasty habit of spilling secrets. Also they are all rainbow colored, which is totally not what pirates are about. Parrots constantly want crackers, too. Vikings have ravens, on the other hand, which scout ahead and tell you how scared the monks are of you. Plus they are solid black all over. Hardcore. +1 point vikings.

Treasure maps are really awesome, with the "X marks the spot" thing and all, but so are ancestral rune stones. +1 point for both pirates and vikings

Fighting style: Vikings fighting style is pretty elite. I mean come on, they have war hammers. You can't hate on that. Plus they kill unarmed peasantry, and everyone gets cloven by battleaxes. "Cloven" is a cool word, especially when coupled with the word "asunder". And they go berserk a lot, which is a bonus. But pirates have daggers. This in itself isn't particularly amazing, but pirates carry them in their mouths, which is neat. "Rapier" is a cool word, which counteracts cloven, and "mutiny" nullifies "asunder". Obviously cannons are a big part of any pirates haphazard arsenal, and cannons are rad-ass. This still isn't as cool as vikings though, until you remember the flintlock single shot pistols. Repeating arms were unknown to pirates, so they simply carried shear numbers of flintlock pistols in their belt. Grab one, fire it, become enveloped in a cloud of gunpowder smoke, drop it to the deck, grab another, repeat. OMG, the awesome. +1 point pirates.

Names: This is no contest. Come on, which sounds cooler, "Red Beard" or "Hrothgar Hammerhelm". Damn right. +1 point vikings.

Pirates need another point SOLELY for peg-legs and hook-hands. And striped stockings.+1 point pirates.

+1 million points for both pirates and vikings for being SO OUTLANDISHLY AWESOME AT ALL TIMES.

Ok, so that brings the final tally to:

PIRATES: 1,000,005
    VIKINGS: 1,000,006

So it's official. While pirates are certainly spectacular at inspiring awe, Vikings are just a little more amazing.
    I see............................................... ....................................
    UCP's No.1 Koenigsegg & Aston Martin fan!
    UCP's Biggest Feeder fan!

vikings were the original pirates, and i am descendent of vikings, so they're better
    pondering things

Pirate ships do 0-60 in 3.2, vikings are 3.3... Pirates win!
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

Patrick says:
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Pirates had overhead cams ( sails ) and Vikings had pushrods ( oars ).

Pirates win
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by Matra et Alpine
    Pirates had overhead cams ( sails ) and Vikings had pushrods ( oars ).

Pirates win
    This is the part where Slicks comes in, and tries to convince you that a pushrod ship would be better for cruising the open waters because of its low-revving nature. A 10-page thread ensues.
    [O o)O=\x/=O(o O]

Patrick says:
    so i took hers out
    and put mine in

Thread Information