Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Exports under fire with Alloytec issues

Exports under fire with Alloytec issues

http://goauto.carsales.com.au/mellor...256FB10023299D

Holden export fear

Holden left without an engine block supplier for its $400 million Alloytec V6

By MARTON PETTENDY 23 February 2005

THE future of Holden’s lucrative, record-breaking global export business remained in limbo as GoAuto went to press, with the local General Motors subsidiary yet to find an engine block supplier to produce its new Alloytec V6 for both domestic and global consumption from 2006.

Holden currently sources Alloytec engine blocks from Mexico, but a decision by the Ion group’s administrator to abandon the Altona engine block project that was contracted to supply Holden’s $400 million Fishermen’s Bend engine plant from 2006 has left future Alloytec production in doubt.

The decision has cast a cloud over future Commodore/Monaro/Statesman production for both Australia and export markets, which last year took delivery of a record 52,372 vehicles and comprised New Zealand, South Africa, the UK, US, Brazil, Thailand, Malaysia, Singapore and the Middle East.

South Korea was added to the list this year and export to China of Holden’s Statesman, badged as a Buick Royaum and powered by a 155kW/250Nm 2.8-litre version of Alloytec, are due to begin in March.

Further valuable export market contracts expected to be announced in 2005, Holden’s 50th anniversary export year, will increase the pressure on GM’s global purchasing department search for an alternative block supplier, as will last week’s GM announcement that Holden will be the sole supplier of a new 2.8-litre turbo V6 for Saab. Alfa Romeo’s new 159 medium sedan, revealed yesterday, will employ yet another (3.2-litre) derivative of the Alloytec V6.

"There’s no change to the official position at this stage," Holden’s acting national media relations manager Emily Perry told GoAuto yesterday. “We currently source blocks out of Mexico and were planning to source blocks from Altona.

"We now need to source blocks from an alternative supplier and are continuing to leverage global resources to search for an alternative through our worldwide purchasing and order-to-delivery department, which is tapped into GM’s global souring process," she said.

The only other Alloytec engine plant is St Catherines in the US, which also sources blocks from Mexico. It’s believed continued sourcing from Mexico is one option for Holden, which had worked hard to find a local supplier for Alloytec blocks to reduce costs. Either way, a continued offshore engine block supply was likely.

"When we anticipated changeover (from Mexico from 2006) isn’t necessarily when they run out," said Ms Perry. "But supply contracts are commercial and confidential agreements.

"We make all our decisions based on quality and cost effectiveness and the reality is we’re investigating other possibilities around the world. Whether it’s a local or global supplier, our priorities remain the same.

"(But) At this stage we think the supplier will need to come from overseas. No other Australian manufacturer is able to produce the precision work necessary for block production and we’re currently scouring the world to get the best outcomes we can."

Holden, which last year produced 165,252 vehicles at the rate of 835 per day, was to take delivery of 200,000 engine blocks annually from 2006, but Ion’s ill-fated Altona plant was designed to produce 350,000 pere annum and costs were reported to have blown out from $90 million to $160 million.

Holden would not comment on the potential impact continued overseas block sourcing may have on the cost of producing the Alloytec V6, which is already more expensive to produce than Commodore’s previous 3.8-litre Ecotec V6.

In 2004, Holden’s new Port Melbourne engine plant produced 55,599 Alloytec engines, in addition to the last 57,341 Ecotec V6s and 143,897 Family II four-cylinder engines for export to South Korea, China and South America.

Holden is also reviewing its relationship with another Ion plant in Wingfield, South Australia, which supplies Alloytec cylinder-heads. A third Ion group plant in Albury (formerly known as BTR) produces automatic transmissions for Ford Australia, which said its current contract is unlikely to be affected.
    I am the Stig

I smell at rat in there.
    You would think they could get a engine block here that they would be jumping to get on board it's a great deal for a supplier in Aus and there should be heaps knocking on the door for the contract.
    "Just a matter of time i suppose"

"The elevator is broke, So why don't you test it out"

"I'm not trapped in here with all of you, Your all trapped in here with me"

Well whats happened is Ion, a GM owned company that was gunna make the local blocks (and also owns BTR, the supplier of Fords 4 speed auto's since 1989) can no longer go ahead with the deal as theyre sorting themselves out after goinginto recievership or something. Theyre trying to prevent it turning into a TWR debacle. The big issue seems to be the Mexican blocks will keep their high price whilst the locally built blocks that wouldve made it into the VE wouldve allowed more technology/price in the VE, possible to outdo the extra weight
    I am the Stig

So now to save money they will need to offload the Monaro statesman to get back what they loose. Maybe untill ion comes out the other side?

At this rate i think somethings critical's gunna be rushed for VE, there having trouble successfully getting the AWD as a low ride height thing and now they look to be stuck with expensive engines. GM might stick more funding into Ion to try and get the blocks made, but theyve just payed Fiat $2billion to literally f**k off as they unsuccessfully tried to "acquire" them
    I am the Stig

So instead of say useing the 190 for the hole range they will go with the 175 for a lot longer.
    I hope GM stick in some money it be good for the Aussie workers more jobs hopefully

Yeah that looks like what it might be, although i wouldnt be surprised if they turn into 180 and 195, following Holdens usual 5kw increments, afterall now theyve got a V6 that has alot left in it. Its gunna be interesting to see how long Alfa Romeo keeps the engine deal, although i suppose when theyre taking a top spec 3.2L engine, the costs are gunna be high no matter how you look at it
    I am the Stig

that blows. Surely someone in Aus would jump at the opportunity, its gauranteed work for at least 5 years. big $$$ to be made from it.
    The Datto will rage again...

I think part of the problem is GM like to do everything themselves, i dont think they like hiring other companies to do their work, for example how Ford got BTR to make the transmissions, whilst Holdens transmissions, bar the manuals, are all GM 4 and 5 speed units.

You would think it wouldnt be too hard to do it, personally im surprised they wanted Ion to do it to start with and didnt set something up with the $400million plant, afterall Ford cast their own blocks in Geelong, have done for ages.
    I am the Stig

They like to keep the money in there little world so holden pays out some $$$ they want it in one of there company's so they get some in the end. Sounds like a very good way to keep all the family happy. On the other hand it sounds like there money hungry lol

Hey its GM, would you expect anything less than them to be money hungry b*stards

But i suppose its how theyve remained the #1 seller worldwide for like the past 80 years or so, i dare say in the next 5 though Toyota will be matching them. They already make more profit, just not more altogether
    I am the Stig

You do say to yourself they make so much money and there product isnt getting any better. I meen holden is know BWM but GM needs holdens help for RWD it's funny shows how they have stuffed it up over the years on low tech stuff and cost cutting B*stards

why doesn't GM build them itself instead of foiking the job to 3rd parties, even if they are GM owned 3rd parties
    Faster, faster, faster, until the thrill of speed overcomes the fear of death...
    – Hunter Thompson

Lazy

Quote Originally Posted by SlickHolden
    You do say to yourself they make so much money and there product isnt getting any better. I meen holden is know BWM but GM needs holdens help for RWD it's funny shows how they have stuffed it up over the years on low tech stuff and cost cutting B*stards
    Say that in the American Forums and they'll start showing you all the new GM cars coming out into the US how theyre "heaps" better than what theyre replacing, but not only were the original cars pretty shit (so not that hard to improve on you'd think) but its too little, too late. So what, Chev's got a new Malibu mid sized car, Mazda's already about to release an updated Mazda6
    I am the Stig

Thread Information