View Poll Results: Who took the Best Pic this week?

Voters
32. You may not vote on this poll
  • Fastautos

12 37.50%
  • Henk4

9 28.13%
  • Racingmaniac

11 34.38%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Votes: Comp 18 Weekly Photography Picture - Runoff... Finalists..

Kingdom of Tonga South Pacific for the time being..

Votes: Comp 18 Weekly Photography Picture - Runoff... Finalists..

Well This is it The 3 that tied for First.. now its up to you to choose the winner!

Fastautos

Henk4

RacingManiac

Whoever wins this poll wins the week so choose wisely!
    Last edited by Rebirth of Xar; 02-28-2005 at 09:39 PM.
    The Rebirth of Xarzy
    >>XxLEASxX<<
    To My Unborn Child
    UCP's Resident Jack Armstrong

I have to say racingmaniac that ferrari is such a classic and it is an awesome photo.
    My Photography: flickr.com/photos/a-m-photo/
    "The best way to predict the future is to invent it."

Kingdom of Tonga South Pacific for the time being..
    sorry i forgot to make it a public poll.. no one better cheap and use those extra accound or the admins will ban you so be warned!!
    The Rebirth of Xarzy
    >>XxLEASxX<<
    To My Unborn Child
    UCP's Resident Jack Armstrong

I voted for racing manic, that car soo awsome and its a great photo
    "The thunder of 1001bhp would send a sonic boom through his carbon fibre shell, crack it in half and leave a wet puddle on the fancy leather seat."

all pics are great!.... fastautos is very profesional!!!.... Racingmanic pic is also very good, but the light reflection on the car is not so nice.... and Henk4's pic is like a studio pic!
    I vote for Henk4 nice job ....
    FERRARI RULEZZZ

land of the Desert Extreme Challenge Rally
    Henk Henk Henk Henk Henk all the waaaaaaaay!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Fumacher
    all pics are great!.... fastautos is very profesional!!!....
    Actually Fastautos IS a Pro photographer....

Quote Originally Posted by spi-ti-tout
    Actually Fastautos IS a Pro photographer....

That's why I'll never ever vote for him. That just spoils the party. It's like having Steve Davis joining your pub's tournament.

He has access to all accessories, like spotlights, light reflectors, everything. How can you compete with that with your regular camera and regular conditions?

Racing Maniac pic isn't sharp enough. Not his fault. Light in that photo is complicated. But then again, the coolest car is having effect on the results. And very cool it is!
    Money can't buy you friends, but you do get a better class of enemy.

Quote Originally Posted by McReis
    That's why I'll never ever vote for him. That just spoils the party. It's like having Steve Davis joining your pub's tournament.

He has access to all accessories, like spotlights, light reflectors, everything. How can you compete with that with your regular camera and regular conditions?
    I agree completely. Maybe if he took a photo without ANY of those, and with just a normal 3.2-5 MPx camera like we all did, me and you could vote for him.

Actually, I don't have access to "spotlights, light reflectors, everything". I can't afford lighting equipment and so I always use natural lighting. I'll admit I probably do have a better camera and get access to more cars than most people, but it's because I've worked hard to make connections with people using the natural talent that I've been given. And having a nicer camera doesn't necessarily mean you will take better photos. It takes knowledge and practice to know how to use it correctly. I'm guessing that a large majority of you wouldn't even know how to correctly use a digital SLR if you had it. How many people even know what SLR means without having to look it up? Could you manipulate the depth of field, white balanace, ISO, etc if you had the chance? Does my 6 megapixel camera really have that much better "quality" than your 5 megapixel camera? I still don't understand why your complaining about megapixel count when the images are sized down this small anyway.

And unlike most of the photos that were submitted, there was a lot of work that went into this photo including scouting locations (very time consuming), scheduling a time for the shoot, and waiting for the 5 minutes where the light was the just perfect.

Sorry if I come off sounding like a jerk. I just think it's weird how most of these competitions aren't even about photography techniques, composition, or the quality of the photo. If someone submitted a slightly blurry, off center picture of an Enzo in a parking that they snapped while walking by, it would probably get more votes than someone who took a photo of a Ford Taurus that had excellent lighting and composition.
    www.Fast-Autos.net
    www.DrewPhillipsPhotography.com

Quote Originally Posted by fastautos

And unlike most of the photos that were submitted, there was a lot of work that went into this photo including scouting locations (very time consuming), scheduling a time for the shoot, and waiting for the 5 minutes where the light was the just perfect.

There you have one good enough reason for me to never vote on you. We shoot what we see, how we can, where we spot it, while it is stil there.
    Don't you think that's professional enough, having that conditions you named?
    And of course most of people wouldn't know how to take advantage of an SLR camera, because they never got their hands on one.
    Someone like Wouter, my someday have the skills of a pro, because he does this many times. But still he has the merit of making it in whatever conditions he gets: light, movement, people, fog, whatever!

I would completely agree with Drew. I have shot side by side with him. My camera is technically more powerful if you're comparing resolution, etc, however his shots are consistently better than mine. I've seen quite a few of his old shots using a Sony F717 that were also spectacular. He has a fantastic eye for the shot, no matter what equipment he has in hand. One huge advantage he has over many of us is his access to many great cars, being located in L.A. We can only be envious of that; not pissed. I clearly believe his shot is superior in this poll of three. I can't imagine what could make it better. Perfect composition, prime choice of background and natural lighting to compliment the car colour, and the skid marks on the pavement is just a hint at what this car can do. The entire shot tells a story.

Henk's and Racing Maniac's shots aren't slackers however. They both have great subjects, but I prefer an outdoor shot setup over a car show any day. I feel the Ferrari needs a vintage racing or winding road background, whereas the Honda is begging for a trackside background. They're both out of their elements.

Just my opinions of course. i don't think it's anything new (my opinions, i mean)
    aka: Rob Clements, Ultimatecarpage North American Correspondent
    "big durango", formerly known as the "MEDIA MASTER", (title now belonging to Matt)

Quote Originally Posted by McReis
    There you have one good enough reason for me to never vote on you. We shoot what we see, how we can, where we spot it, while it is stil there.
    Don't you think that's professional enough, having that conditions you named?
    And of course most of people wouldn't know how to take advantage of an SLR camera, because they never got their hands on one.
    Someone like Wouter, my someday have the skills of a pro, because he does this many times. But still he has the merit of making it in whatever conditions he gets: light, movement, people, fog, whatever!

you're just being silly. when were these competitions ever restricted to any certain photographic abilities or equipment?

Trust me, Wouter would love to shoot every car in a setup like that. He shoots them where they appear because he's shooting them in their Concours or track event habitats. When Wouter and I were in Palm Beach for the Cavallino Classic and Concours, we talked with a couple owners and had some private shoots arranged. It's not Drew's or Wouter's or anyone's fault for asking an owner to move their car to a specific location or any certain arrangement for a prime shot. It shows how much vision a (potentially professional) photographer can have.

If this is how you want to vote on these comps, then maybe there should be a "Shots of what's at your local ice cream shop today, surrounded by other cars, with 20 onlookers" category.

You're not being fair. I don't feel your reasons are valid.

This is a very broad, relaxed comp. Relax, and enjoy some sweet pics.
    aka: Rob Clements, Ultimatecarpage North American Correspondent
    "big durango", formerly known as the "MEDIA MASTER", (title now belonging to Matt)

Quote Originally Posted by <AAA-MOD>
    you're just being silly.
    Thanks.

Kinda like this AAA? I saw this exact car at limerock this past september.

I liked how the reflections flowed on the fenders on racingmaniac's shot, so he got my vote.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    "We went to Wnedy's. I had chicken nuggest." ~ Quiggs

Thread Information