Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What is the fastest street legal Car

Quote Originally Posted by Matt
    Actually, in December, Guinness certified the CCR as the fastest road car at speeds in excess of 242mph. That speed was achieved at Nardo. Interestingly enough, that is faster than the McLaren was able to achieve at Nardo OR at the VW track (where it officially set its record). So, if the CCR ever gets to the VW track, it will obliterate the McLaren's record once and for all.
    Finally. Took them long enough
    "I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring" - Richard Feynman, last recorded words.

Quote Originally Posted by CdocZ
    Finally. Took them long enough
    It's actually quite the ordeal. The test has to be very controlled and there have to be plenty of official witnesses on hand. It takes a lot of planning and coordinating between company/driver/test location/witnesses/Guinness/equipment people. So, it's not like you just call up Guinness and say, "Seriously, our car does 245mph. Just put it in the book."
    I'm going to eat breakfast. And then I'm going to change the world.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt
    It's actually quite the ordeal. The test has to be very controlled and there have to be plenty of official witnesses on hand. It takes a lot of planning and coordinating between company/driver/test location/witnesses/Guinness/equipment people. So, it's not like you just call up Guinness and say, "Seriously, our car does 245mph. Just put it in the book."
    I know. Thats why the sledgehammer never made it in.
    "I'd hate to die twice. It's so boring" - Richard Feynman, last recorded words.

[B]Koenigsegg Breaks World Record for Production Cars

On February the 28th 2005, at 12.08 local time, the Koenigsegg CCR broke the production road car speed record, achieving a new official top speed of 388 (387.87) km/h at Italy's Nardo Prototipo proving ground.

A team of five Koenigsegg engineers and mechanics together with founder Christian von Koenigsegg ran, a technically standard Koenigsegg CCR in order to take the top speed record for productions road cars. The famous supercar test driver, Loris Bicocchi who is a veteran recorder breaker, drove the CCR.

The Koenigsegg CCR raised McLaren's previously unofficial mark of 372 km/h set at Nardo/Prototipo in 1993 with over 15 km/h. On top of this the CCR broke the official McLaren F1 record of 386.7 km/h, which was set on the 9 km straight line VW Ehra facility in Wolfsburg Germany.

A team of Nardo Prototipo technicians independently verified the speed of the CCR. The car was clocked using Tag Heuer´s Splitmaster 650 with photocells stationary at the track, recording the average speed during 1 km.

Nardo Prototipo is a circular track with a circumference of 12.5 km. This means that the car is driven in a constant turning motion, which makes the exercise and speed even more impressive. The steering wheel at this speed is kept at around 30 degrees of constant angel, which equivalates to a sharp corner for the speed.

The constant turning motion of the car creates extra friction on the tires. This extra friction overcomes the extra horsepower that was needed for further acceleration. The maximum speed was reached at around 6790 rpm, which is not equivalent to the maximum hp level, which is at a higher rpm.

With this verification of speed, Christian von Koenigsegg is even more confident that the Koenigsegg CCR is capable of reaching its projected top speed of 395 km/h, or more, in a straight line.

Driver Loris Bicocchi was very impressed by the performance of the car. He feels happy to finally prove the performance of the Koenigsegg. "This test was very important for the customers and owners of Koenigsegg cars. It proves that their belief and faith in the small Koenigsegg Company was well founded".

Filmator documented the record attempt. Filmator is a Swedish film crew that currently is making a documentary about the Koenigsegg Company for Swedish television.

The official Test Report is issued by Prototipo, acting as a third party verificator and is forwarded to the Guinness Book of Records for processing.

Other interesting data from the Nardo test

Max temperatures (in degree Celsius) during 40 seconds of full throttle: Ambient temperature: 8, Tires: 64, Engine coolant: 91, Intake air after intercooler: 64, Gearbox oil 94 degrees, Engine oil 112.

68 litre of fuel at the start of the test.

Car Set-up:
    Standard road car fuel, Standard CCR Michelin tires, Standard ride height of the car, standard engine configuration, standard wheel geometries, standard gearbox, standard clutch, standard brakes, standard over boost pressure from the superchargers.

Test safety equipment:
    Roll cage, 4 point safety belts, Fire extinguisher system, logging for data collection.

Comparison chart results at Nardo/Prototipo for Production cars:
    1. Koenigsegg CCR 388 km/h
    2. McLaren F1 372 km/h
    3. Ferrari Enzo 355 km/h
    4. Porsche Carrera GT 334 km/h
    4. McLaren Mercedes SLR 334 km/h
    5. Lamborghini Murcielago 330 km/h

Actually, I'm seeing conflicting things. Apparently the test was just run and considered official, however, Guinness gave their award on December 1st.

EDIT: Ok, the Guinness record was for the Most Powerful Production Car and in the certificate it lists the statistics of 806hp, 678 ft-lb of torque, 0-60 of 3.2seconds and top speed in excess of 242mph.

I was getting the two confused.
    Last edited by Matt; 03-01-2005 at 08:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    That is quick, not fast.
    It isn't exactly "stock" either.
    actually...the hennessey viper 1000tt on a 100 percent stock car was once recorded to do the 0-60 time in 1.35 seconds... and it did the standing quartermile in less than 8 seconds at well over 200 mph... it also is one of the fastest cars in the world if not the fastest ( and i'm not makin this up i looked it up from several different websites)

Quote Originally Posted by Coventrysucks
    That is quick, not fast.
    It isn't exactly "stock" either.
    actually...the hennessey viper 1000tt on a 100 percent stock car was once recorded to do the 0-60 time in 1.35 seconds... and it did the standing quartermile in less than 8 seconds at well over 200 mph... it also is one of the fastest cars in the world if not the fastest ( and i'm not makin this up i looked it up from several different websites)

The extra expensive versions of the SCC Aero SC/8T, and Saleen 7 do 279 mph.

Ultimate Areo 273mph max wind tunnel calculation http://www.sscautos.com
    Saleen "clocked" 416kph=258.5mph http://www.wheels24.co.za/Wheels24/N...850946,00.html
    Last edited by 770; 12-16-2005 at 12:44 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by viperfan
    No way 1.37 is done on moulded street legal tyres.
    That would require a special constructed tyre - which can be cut to match street legal requrements on tread but are NOT "street tyres" accordign to competition regs. So when is stock not stock ?
    The danger of the meaning of "stock" - a Hennessy isn't being a modified production vehicle
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by 770
    Ultimate Areo 273mph max wind tunnel calculation http://www.sscautos.com
    Saleen "clocked" 416kph=258.5mph http://www.wheels24.co.za/Wheels24/N...850946,00.html
    Don't take calcualtions to mean anything. They're only approximations and can't take variations in air and road in to account. The Veyron in theory 4 years ago was going faster than it acheived and THAT only after a major amount of rework on the computer tested versions
    Also, the top speed can't be used as comparison until it's officially checked and run over oppposite directions on same track or on a recongised test track. Many cars clock 10-20 mph faster than their posted top speeds for those reasons.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

It would go 273 on a cold day in hell. I do think it would do more than 250 being that it is much more powerful and lighter than the standard aero. Low end top speed calculations are often close to later discovered top speeds, although I do agree they should be taken with a chunk of salt. I’m still trying to find where I read the calculation to be 263or264-273mph.
    I like this aero calculator http://davewin.com/tech/horsepower_calc.shtml , even though it assumes a concrete surface and no wind. Keep in mind its 'needed horsepower' estimate is wheel horsepower.
    In the end though, my grandmother can give a better estimate than some of these super car top speed calculations.

the mini is pretty fast.

Quote Originally Posted by lukehow
    the mini is pretty fast.
    nice

The Bugatti Veyron is the most powerfull and fastest stock production car.
    HP: Officially listed at 1001ps (987hp) but in reality on a Dyno all motors produce between 1035 and 1055hp
    Torque: Officially listed at 923lb ft. but on a dyno all motors produce 950lb ft. to 962lb ft.
    top speed: Electronically limited to 253mph(you have to use a special key to unlock this higher limit) with a tested top speed of 257mph
    Acceleration times: 0-62mph in 2.5sec, 0-125mph in 7.3sec, 0-186mph in 16.7sec, and 0-250mph in 55.6sec. this means that if a Mclaren F1 passed a stationary Veyron doing 100mph and the veyron gunned it just as the F1 passes then the Veyron would beat the F1 to 200mph by a second!!!
    Weight: officially listed as 1888kg(4154lbs) but this is a dry weight the real wet weight is alittle over 2100kg(4620lbs)
    Decelleration time and distance: 250mph-0 in 9.8sec and using 450 meters (1500ft.)

now after all that there is another street legal stock production car that will whip this and any other cars ass on a race track...
    the Radical SR8 it has lapped the Nurburgring in 6:55 on Dunlop Direza trackday tires with slicks and better weather and less cars on the track the time could go another 30-35 seconds down taking the time close to the all time fastest made by Stefan Bellof in a Porsche 956 in 1983 set at 6:25!!!
    Power, whether measured as HP, PS, or KW is what accelerates cars and gets it up to top speed. Power also determines how far you take a wall when you hit it
    Engine torque is an illusion.

Thread Information