Thread: Synthetic Oil REQUIRED for Passats 1.8T?

Synthetic Oil REQUIRED for Passats 1.8T?

Hello everyone,

I needed to do a 20,000 maintenance for a 2003 Passat 1.8T.
    Using a coupon, the service would be at around $95. But then, the service manager asked for an additional $35 fee to use synthetic oil rather than the standard. So the total came out an estimate of $140.

On the coupon, it did say synthetic extra charge.

1) Is synthetic oil required to maintain factory warranty?
    2) Am I getting jipped or is this like the standard costs for a Passat in Southern California?
    Kwak

Not to confuse the readers, the $95 intermediate maintenance includes the 'standard' oil change.

The extra $35 would replace the standard with 'synthetic' oil.
    Kwak

1) Probably. Ask a dealer.

in my fav magazine there was a question bout it. the answer: dont do it, waste of money. i dont know whther it's required for ur car though, maybe have a look in the instruction manual ??

Quote Originally Posted by iKwak
    2) Am I getting jipped or is this like the standard costs for a Passat in Southern California?
    1) Look in the handbook - what do they reccommend?
    Anyway AFAIK it doesn't void the warranty to use different oil, but I'm not an expert on the matter.

2) ?
    Thanks for all the fish

The synthetic properties don't come into play in normal conditons and tepmeratures, it's designed to take care of the extremes. In super cold temps it flows better than conventional oil so it helps cold engine start up and reduces wear at that point.

The other extreme is heat, turbos create a lot of heat so I would definitely use it in a turbo car....even more so if I did any spirited driving or autocross. The oil cost more but you can go with longer oil change intervals, so in the long run it isn't that expensive and your turbo motor will thank you in the long run too.

Cars with high hp/l are recommended to go onto synthetics or to incliude additives with the standard oil pack.

Also, some eingines ( mine ) circulate the oil in the turbo bearings to improve wear and performance. The HIGH temps it gets in there break down the natural long0chain olks and reduce the usefullness of the oil. So mine MSUT have synthetics.

Not sure why the Passat would as I dont' know the engine well enough.
    BUT if recommended then you're kind of stuffed if you want to maintain warranty and second hand value.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

Quote Originally Posted by iKwak
    Hello everyone,

I needed to do a 20,000 maintenance for a 2003 Passat 1.8T.
    Using a coupon, the service would be at around $95. But then, the service manager asked for an additional $35 fee to use synthetic oil rather than the standard. So the total came out an estimate of $140.

On the coupon, it did say synthetic extra charge.

well I work for Audi our Audi A4 1.it's is standard, yours should be the same.

if you need help please let me know ill talk to our VW stor to help you
    Some Rulers Are Immortalized In Marble Others,
    In Carbon Fiber.{Hard Core Audi Fan}Ich Fahr Omnibus!
    """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Makes sense to me that a small high output engine with 5 valves per cylinder would be spec'ed to use synthetic oil.

Quote Originally Posted by QUATTRO MAN
    well I work for Audi our Audi A4 1.it's is standard, yours should be the same.

if you need help please let me know ill talk to our VW stor to help you
    OK, I saw this was stilling an unaswered issue and looked as if it was going to drag on>

So on google search for "audi passat synthetic oil" turned up http://www.lubestop.com/news120604c.html

Bingo, newsletter that VW were getting sludge problems.
    THAT will explain the change to synthetic.
    NOW, you may want to research this further -there are LOTS of pages on forums already discussing theis at great lengths - to see if this is unreasonable action by VW America.

NOT having heard of tjis in EUreop, I wonder if US oil is poorer q along wit hthe gas and diesel. Liek they say, you get what you pay for. Cheap oil is NOT a good idea.

As a cost per mile the differnce in putting in cheap stuff and Mobil1 is insignificant !!

PS:L If you DO read the newsletter though there have been 12-14 problems with sludge and one engine seize and there is more than the meerest hint that it is down to NOT replacing oil at the required intervals . Stupid owners sounds like and beause of fear of litigation making EVERYOEN pay for them !!!

I've stripped enoguh competition engines to ALWASY put a synthetic in ALL my cars. It DOES make a difference - or add the additives to a sheap one
    Last edited by Matra et Alpine; 02-27-2005 at 04:48 PM.
    "A woman without curves is like a road without bends, you might get to your destination quicker but the ride is boring as hell'

well when it comes to oil and gas every one has there own opinion, I for one done some research on my car to see what gas and oil is best for my car when I take my cars for track racing, I use Shell and 76 gas only, and for oil Pennzoil synthetic, every day drive I use Shell 91 octane, race day 76 100 octane,,,

ps I just talk to one of our tech's he tolled me if the engine sits 90
    degree you need synthetic oil and that is for any 1.8t engines.
    Some Rulers Are Immortalized In Marble Others,
    In Carbon Fiber.{Hard Core Audi Fan}Ich Fahr Omnibus!
    """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

Thread Information